Visa -V- Sponsorship

AussieWannabe

Trying to emigrate as quickly as possible (which I can see is better with sponsorship) and also cheaper allowing me to keep my savings for a property in Oz.

only problem is I'm unsure of any implications of sponsorship, such as my overall income/cost of living.

dont want to create problems further down the line as I still eventually want permanent residence.

Sorry if this sounds vague but I've heard something about sponsored people not having same rights/ financial options as some one with a permanent visa.

any help would be so greatly received xx

( will be coming over as a registered nurse, just myself and 2 of my children)

"Emigrating" means moving permanently to Australia, right?  The only way to do that is on a permanent visa.   You can apply for a permanent visa on your own, or you can get sponsored by a state government (if your occupation is eligible).   AFAIK they cost about the same and take about the same length of time. 

Your other option is to get sponsored by an employer, but that won't be a permanent visa, it will just be a temp job.  You're only allowed to stay in Australia while that job lasts, so if the job turns out to be cr@p, you'll have to come home.  With two kids, I wouldn't advise getting yourself into such an uncertain situation.

7 hours ago, AussieWannabe said:

Sorry if this sounds vague but I've heard something about sponsored people not having same rights/ financial options as some one with a permanent visa......

..., just myself and 2 of my children)

You will be required to pay for schooling in public state schools in many (now most?) of the states.  Is there a particular location you are aiming for?

1 hour ago, Skani said:

You will be required to pay for schooling in public state schools in many (now most?) of the states.  Is there a particular location you are aiming for?

Just to be clear, you mean if she comes on an employer-sponsored visa.  If she's on a state-sponsored visa, that wouldn't be the case?

I am assuming you mean employer sponsored. 

I very rarely recommend that as a good course. Employer sponsored would be the new TSS visa. This is a temporary visa that has a lot of issues. 

It is tied to the employer and if you were to lose your job for any reason, you would also lose your visa and have 60 days to find another sponsor or leave the country. There have been nurses made redundant in states. 

Pas mentioned, many states now charge temporary visa holders for children's education. 

There is no entitlement to any benefits such as child care. 

You would have to assume that you would be returning at the end of the visa. 

Employers can sponsor you for a permanent visa or a temporary visa, however usually it's the temporary visa.  It has some pitfalls as mentioned above, so it's best to do a lot of research so you go into the arrangement with your eyes open.  If you look at the 457 visa (soon to be replaced with the 482), it explains the temporary visa.  The 186 and 187 are the permanent visas.

• Thanks 1