How do parents stay while processing + 143 vs 864

jillandsi

Hi,

My Mum is just about to apply for a 143 visa which doesn't seem to come with a bridging visa like the 864.

Can the parents utilise any other visas in order to stay in Australia for some (or all) of the processing time.

From reading the threads it seems to be the visitor visa 600. Is that fairly guaranteed to be granted for a long-term stay? Do they often require health private insurance to be bought?

Given the issues that seem to be happening with the 864, what would the best option be 864 or 143? Most people seem to go for the 143, why? The 864 still seems to be faster and comes with a bridging visa. 

Kind regards

Jillian

Hi Jillian,
We have to understand the difference between visa 143 and visa 864. Perhaps visa 143 allow you to migrate permanently with the conditions laid down but I think for visa 864 you are already in Australia and apply for this visa and parents are aged 65 and above, other conditions I think are the same for visa 143 and 864. There may be some difference of visa also.
Regards

Hi MAKhan

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, they both offer permanent migration but the 864 is applied onshore and the 143 offshore. Mum can either apply for the 143 whilst still in the UK or come here and then apply for the 864. She's over 65 so would qualify for the 864. 

Not sure why more people don't apply for the 864 as the queue seems to be shorter.

Kind regards 

5 hours ago, jillandsi said:

Hi MAKhan

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, they both offer permanent migration but the 864 is applied onshore and the 143 offshore. Mum can either apply for the 143 whilst still in the UK or come here and then apply for the 864. She's over 65 so would qualify for the 864. 

Not sure why more people don't apply for the 864 as the queue seems to be shorter.

Kind regards 

I think it depends on circumstances, fory parents the offshore wait didn't work so they went 864 with bridging visa.  If others are under 65 or want certainty before the move then the 143 makes sense.

14 hours ago, Ferrets said:

I think it depends on circumstances, fory parents the offshore wait didn't work so they went 864 with bridging visa.  If others are under 65 or want certainty before the move then the 143 makes sense.

Thanks Ferrets,

So maybe it's just personal choice/circumstances then. Can I ask how long the 864 took to come through? Also, did your parents travel back home at all during their bridging visa time and if so was it easy to be allowed to leave the country?

9 hours ago, jillandsi said:

Thanks Ferrets,

So maybe it's just personal choice/circumstances then. Can I ask how long the 864 took to come through? Also, did your parents travel back home at all during their bridging visa time and if so was it easy to be allowed to leave the country?

Still waiting at the moment, but has the benefits of being onshore father than visiting.

They have also been out of the country but needed to apply for a different bridging visa via their agent at the time.

The 864 should be quicker due to fewer applicants, but they did seem to freeze for a period and have only just started moving again.

Good luck

On 17/02/2018 at 22:48, jillandsi said:

Hi MAKhan

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards 

The logistics can be a tad more involved with onshore applications and the technicalities of the interaction of Bridging Visas/visitor visas.

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 09:19, Alan Collett said:

The logistics can be a tad more involved with onshore applications and the technicalities of the interaction of Bridging Visas/visitor visas.

Best regards.

Thanks for the reply Alan. We're currently thinking of going for the 864 but I'm a bit worried about the logistics that you mentioned.

I believe that once the visa's applied for she automatically gets a BVA, but that doesn't allow her to leave so that she can return to England to sell up. I believe that she could apply for a BVB which would then allow her to come and go. Is that quite an easy process? Would it come through reasonably quickly?

We're also a bit concerned about the timeline. The website doesn't give an indication of processing time but from the research that I've done it looks like it might be up to a year (although it hasn't moved recently). What do you think about this?

Many thanks

Jillian

18 hours ago, jillandsi said:

Thanks for the reply Alan. We're currently thinking of going for the 864 but I'm a bit worried about the logistics that you mentioned.

I believe that once the visa's applied for she automatically gets a BVA, but that doesn't allow her to leave so that she can return to England to sell up. I believe that she could apply for a BVB which would then allow her to come and go. Is that quite an easy process? Would it come through reasonably quickly?

We're also a bit concerned about the timeline. The website doesn't give an indication of processing time but from the research that I've done it looks like it might be up to a year (although it hasn't moved recently). What do you think about this?

Many thanks

Jillian

Jill, if getting your mother into Australia is important to you, then I'd think paying a good migration agent (like Alan) to look after it would be a good move. 

Does she really need to return to England to sell up?   If she has to declutter, prepare the house for sale, pack, and wait for it to sell, wouldn't it be easier if she just went home until the visa is granted?   If she doesn't have to do any of that, and the house is ready to put on the market, why couldn't she manage it all from here?

23 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Jill, if getting your mother into Australia is important to you, then I'd think paying a good migration agent (like Alan) to look after it would be a good move. 

Does she really need to return to England to sell up?   If she has to declutter, prepare the house for sale, pack, and wait for it to sell, wouldn't it be easier if she just went home until the visa is granted?   If she doesn't have to do any of that, and the house is ready to put on the market, why couldn't she manage it all from here?

The granting of 864 is up to the 20th October 2016, until the last few weeks it hadn't moved for well over a year, so the likelihood of it being processed in a year looks very remote. Hope I'm wrong, we applied last March. Also you have to be onshore for it to be granted. There is also always the fear that the cost of the visa will rise, so if serious about getting this visa then perhaps don't delay too long to apply. Unless the rules change the cost stays from the date you apply/or application approved, not sure which sorry.

You can leave Australia when on a BVA only if you get a BVB, this allows you to return. Never needed one so don't know much about them, always check the details.

On 08/03/2018 at 14:26, Alan Collett said:

Hi Jillian.

Please feel able to telephone me to discuss.

It is probably best to have a chat about the logistics of such an application.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan, I think that's the best option. I'll ring you on Monday.

Kind regards

Jillian

On 09/03/2018 at 08:49, Marisawright said:

Thanks Marisawright, I think you're right about using Alan, it's all very complicated.

Kind regards

Jillian 

On 09/03/2018 at 09:26, ramot said:

The granting of 864 is up to the 20th October 2016, until the last few weeks it hadn't moved for well over a year, so the likelihood of it being processed in a year looks very remote. Hope I'm wrong, we applied last March. Also you have to be onshore for it to be granted. There is also always the fear that the cost of the visa will rise, so if serious about getting this visa then perhaps don't delay too long to apply. Unless the rules change the cost stays from the date you apply/or application approved, not sure which sorry.

You can leave Australia when on a BVA only if you get a BVB, this allows you to return. Never needed one so don't know much about them, always check the details.

Thanks for the advice ramot, especially regarding the costs. Good luck with your application, I'll be keeping an eye out for any updates that you post :) 

Kind regards

Jillian