Moving Back to UK after 7 years In Melbourne

LincolnH

Hi guys.  I am  34 from England and my partner is 30 (Australian) no kids yet just a dog! We have just built a house in the outer suburbs (near Cranbourne) but are thinking of moving to UK next March.. I have no family here and partners mum and dad live in Sydney.  Her sister lives permanently in UK so moving back would give us both opportunity to be close to family (shes closest to her sister of all her family) .  Her Dad is very narrow minded and cant understand why anyone would want to leave Sydney.  He moans alot at my partner for living in Melbourne so I don't think he will be happy to hear we plan on trying out a move to the UK.  But at the end of the day its our life and not his and I am not gonna just stay here to keep him happy and sacrifice my own happiness. 

I feel if you don't live in the city suburbs then life in Melbourne can be quite boring with not much to do.  My main reason for moving home is that I want my children to know my sisters and brothers children.  My partner is amazing and very open to the idea although she cant commit to forever as shes never lived there which i completely understand.  I really want to make it permanent and realise that choice of location is absolute key to ensuring she likes it.  Her sister lives in Bristol which I am open to as it means shes got family close by.  I don't mind a couple of hours drive as in reality its better than a 24 hour plane journey!  I was wondering if anyone could suggest any places in UK that are similar to some of the Melbourne suburbs in terms of cafe culture/ restaurants pubs close by?  I realise the weather is very different just want to find somewhere with a good community that has everything close.

Thanks in advance!

Tbh Bristol is fab. You probably wouldn’t go far wrong there in terms of things going on, cafes, bars, restaurants etc. Also with the M5 and 4 to get elsewhere in the country it’s an ideal area to settle IMHO. I grew up around there and lived there again for a few years before we moved to Aus. We were all very happy there (we didn’t leave the UK because of wanting a better life or we hated it, far from it. Hubby is an aussie so we wanted to spend some time here). 

In Bristol itself you’d find options area wise. Clifton area is popular, Henleaze and around there. I prefer that side of the city to the other side. I also like the access to the coast, Ashton Court for the trails etc and airport. There are smaller towns outside of Bristol also that may suit depending on budget, work and social aspect. We lived outside of Bristol itself (other side of the suspension bridge) and were happy to head into the city for social life and other things. It certainly wasn’t a hassle. Mind you, we had a child and so going out lots wasn’t on our radar. If you want to be right in it then focus in and around the good suburbs in Bristol itself. 

Awesome reply thank you very much.  I have loved my time in Australia and has been an amazing life experience.  For the first 5 years I thought I would not return to UK but my mindset has changed now.  There is much to miss from family and friends to the English sense of humour and Europe and your doorstep.  You don't realise how far from the world you are till you live down under.   I will do some research into those areas you have suggested thank you very much for your help.

The Visa is something I am just starting to look into,  she is of Maltese background and has family there so could easily obtain a Maltese passport although i am not sure that will help these days.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Well, depends how far out you are meaning. There are not a huge amount of options just outside, but a few miles down the road, 15-30 mins in the car will give you lots of options.

Personally I like it around Wraxall way but that isn't really a village with much to it. Its very scattered plus Tyntesfield takes up a large area. Property wise it'll be pricey also. However, the estate does have houses on it come up for rent now and again and if you like being pretty quiet and perhaps out the way, they can be amazing. Plenty of options if you look down Chew Magna way or Long Ashton, Flax Bourton, Backwell, Nailsea way. Much closer to Bristol itself and just over the bridge is Leigh Woods, Abbots Leigh, perhaps Failand may appeal. 

You could also look a bit further out at places like Portishead or Clevedon. Personally, not a fan of either for living in but lots like them and live in them happily. Also places nearer the airport, Congresbury way may suit. 

In Bristol itself you could look at Clifton, Redland perhaps. Stoke Bishop, Henleaze, Westbury Park and up towards Blaise Castle way even. Not sure about affordability in terms of rent or buying. Most of those are the pricier side usually. 

Bath way can be great too but then you have the commute and also the prices. As lovely as Bath itself is to visit, to live there with the sheer volume of tourists all year round would be wearing IMHO. Much nicer to just go visit as and when. And property prices can get silly. 

4 hours ago, LincolnH said:

Hey Snifter could you suggest any villages/towns just on the outskirts of the city that are nice on the Clifton area side of the city.  Thanks

If you're looking for a restaurant/cafe vibe like Melbourne, then a village or town outside Bristol is not going to cut it.  You need to be IN Bristol (and even then, be ready to learn how to drink tea again).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ramot said:

Clifton is a lovely area, we stayed there last year for 6 weeks, has a real vibe, but pricey.We are in Westbury on trym lots and Henleaze, but although really 'pleasant!' A few cafes they can't be called a cafe culture area. 

Clifton is about the only area that has that tbh. Other areas I mentioned are nice to live and go elsewhere for the cafe fix. 

OP- Around the harbour side has lots going on too, bars, cafes and apartments etc. We have a few friends living around there. Not sure it would suit everyone. 

Tbh most people don’t live in the cafe/bar heavy areas. Most live elsewhere and have nights out, lunch with friends and so on. Most of our friends lived further out than we did or areas for the city that were residential more. Mainly as it’s expensive and once kids come along, nights out and long lunches etc tend to take a back seat to having a home that can fit a growing family in an affordable area.

Thanks to everyone  for taking the time to reply you have been very helpful.  I guess we dont have to necessarily live exactly where the cafes/bars are just so long as they are within reach.  Where we live in Victoria at the minute there is nothing but a Mcdonalds nearby and cant help but feeling very isolated.  I think I just feel like my time here is coming to an end and seem to be focusing on the motherland!  Just got a big year of saving to ensure everything goes to plan

• Like 2

I agree with everything that Snifter has said about Bristol. If we were to leave Australia that would be my first choice of location back in the UK. I spent part of my childhood south of Bristol (in the Cheddar area) then moved away for Uni and then Paris for 10 years. I moved back to Bristol and lived in Clifton and loved it but it is pricey. All the areas mentioned in the previous posts would be lovely areas to live and Bristol airport is easily reachable for trips to Europe etc

Good luck with your move

• Like 1