British passport by descent

Patphillips47

Our Australian born granddaughter wants to apply for her British passport 

Her mother our daughter is british born we have her birth certificate but not her UK passport which was lost years ago and never renewed Our daughter does not have Australian citizenship by the way she is a permanent resident though

Bith Hubby and I still have British passports that are current plus our Aussie ones 

would it be easier for our granddaughter to apply by double descent 

her father was Australian and he and my daughter did not marry

37 minutes ago, Patphillips47 said:

Our Australian born granddaughter wants to apply for her British passport 

Her mother our daughter is british born we have her birth certificate but not her UK passport which was lost years ago and never renewed Our daughter does not have Australian citizenship by the way she is a permanent resident though

Bith Hubby and I still have British passports that are current plus our Aussie ones 

would it be easier for our granddaughter to apply by double descent 

her father was Australian and he and my daughter did not marry

As long as your daughters uk citizenship is in no doubt just apply for it through her mum. ( I did hear in the past from people that applying through the father was the only way but believe this to not be the case anymore) 

6 minutes ago, Wa7 said:

As long as your daughters uk citizenship is in no doubt just apply for it through her mum. ( I did hear in the past from people that applying through the father was the only way but believe this to not be the case anymore) 

Yes, they changed the legislation in 2010 to enable citizenship by descent through the mother.

26 minutes ago, Skani said:

Yes, they changed the legislation in 2010 to enable citizenship by descent through the mother.

The process is different depending on when they were born though. My DH was born in Aus in 1949 to a UK born mum (who left U.K. in 1924!) and he couldn’t just apply for a passport - which I think applies to people born after 1965 - he had to go through the citizenship ceremony. So as long as your daughter has her U.K. birth certificate (and a passport would be handy) your granddaughter will probably just apply for her U.K. passport directly - assuming she’s not now in her 50s. It’s a simple process but she will need her mum’s evidence

On 02/02/2018 at 15:50, snifter said:

It’s sinple enough via her Mum I’d have thought. Why make more work if she doesn’t have to.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Its actually not that simple Snifter and I am not one for making work its just we have a complicated situation - as a family we have no contact with my daughter for very personal reasons

I checked the application website for my grandaughter  and it asked for my both my daughters passport details and her ex partners

We dont have passport details for either

My grandaughters Father is Australian but we have no contact and dont know if he ever had a passport 

My daughters  passport along with her residents visa was lost years ago and never replaced I do however have my daughters birth certificate -she was born in 1965

Thats why i thought it might be easier via us -the grandparents as we have current UK passports and birth certs etc

Edited by Patphillips47

I don't think there is any such thing as double descent if you saying does citizensip by descent go down 2 generations. No it doesn't

It is based on parents not grandparents.

Your grandaughter will have to apply herself. There are options for getting certificates if the originals are lost.

It will no doubt be a more lengthy process.

As above. Your granddaughter will have to apply herself afaik. She can obtain copies of documents if needed I'd have thought. If need be you may have to seek legal advice or clarification on how to go about her application. 

Her situation is more complex but I'd expect there is a way for her to gain a UK passport. If your daughter doesn't hold a current UK passport then you can't give that information. You hold her UK birth certificate you said? I'd hope they have some guidelines for this sort of situation, even if it means you email the dept. to ask for them.