Request for Medical/Police from Australian Embassy in Beirut?

Emma Hadley

Hello,

I submitted my de facto visa in October and wasn't expecting to hear anything for a LONG time. I had an email the other day requesting me to get my police and medical checks done, but the letter was from the Australian Embassy of Beirut and I'm trying to work out of it's legitimate or not. It appears on my Immi account as an email in my correspondence inbox, but I'm just confused as to why someone in Beirut would be contacting me about my visa? It looks pretty legitimate to me, but I want to double check. Also would they be contacting me for my medical which will expire in a year, but they won't process my visa for 20 - 25 months? I've tried calling Immigation but their line is so busy, I was the 100th person in the queue and I had to get to work. Has anyone else had experience of this and could maybe set my mind at rest? Also, if I do need to do my medical and police checks, do I have a time limit to get them done?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am very worried!

Offshore applications are dealt with by the local Australian Embassy, so yes it makes sense.  That is why the timeframes vary from country to country.  Usually they expect you to action the request within 28 days and it should say that on the e mail.  As long as you apply for them and let them know, they will await the results even if they take longer.

they usually don’t ask for medical and police checks until other stuff is OK.  On the occasion where they have asked for them and then for some reason applications have not been processed in 12 months they may extent the validity if it is their fault so to speak.  

I would get your ducks in order!

Hi - I’ve just joined the forum but thought I’d reply to you as we are in a similar position in that we submitted a partner visa application onshore in October 2017.  Like you we didn’t expect to hear anything for ages but we used an agent who contacted us last week to say that our application is being processed offshore and police checks/medicals have been requested.  Not sure if it’s the embassy in Beirut but offshore processing of onshore applications is happening so maybe the huge onshore backlog is being farmed out to speed up processing!!

1 hour ago, snifter said:

Whereabouts did you lodge the application? You don't say if it was an off shore or onshore application.

Sorry, completely forgot to mention that bit - we applied onshore and I'm from the UK, so I'm not sure what the Embassy in Beirut has to do with my application.

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Offshore applications are dealt with by the local Australian Embassy, so yes it makes sense.  That is why the timeframes vary from country to country.  Usually they expect you to action the request within 28 days and it should say that on the e mail.  As long as you apply for them and let them know, they will await the results even if they take longer.

they usually don’t ask for medical and police checks until other stuff is OK.  On the occasion where they have asked for them and then for some reason applications have not been processed in 12 months they may extent the validity if it is their fault so to speak.  

I would get your ducks in order!

Sorry, I should have said that we lodged our application onshore and I'm from the UK, so I wondered what the Embassy in Beirut had to do with my application - it just seemed a little odd. 

The processing times for Partner applications has become extremely erratic. Some take 2 years or more, others are processed in a few months.

Applications can be sent anywhere in the world that has available capacity to process.

If you lodged electronically, the communication should appear in your ImmiAccount mailbox, as well as email.