Bread making

Fisher1

Hi all 

I having been baking my own bread for years now (only in a machine) in the UK and want to continue here. In the UK all the main supermarkets sell "strong" flour. I've replaced my machine (old one was on its last legs and not worth bringing) with the same model and am ready to go - can anyone tell me what is the best flour to buy? There seem to be a variety of different kinds of flour, but no "strong" flours and the only ones labelled as bread flour are for white bread ... Help!

I use the Lauke  grains too, they already have salt added and come with yeast satchets.  I do not use a machine and continue to use my old recepe.  

I mix lauke German grain, multi grain and the wallaby bakers flours in various ways and add other stuff depending........... remembering to adjust the salt!  Works just fine.  The wallaby flour isn’t particularly strong but it works.  Just look at the protein content, the higher the better for bread.  I get mine at the local markets.  The German grain is very dark and solid if used on its own, but very tasty.

The Lauke pre mix is the only non white bread flour I have found, but since it is really just flour and salt it works and they are very tasty.

I even managed to start sourdough with the basic white and a few grapes!

I also love my Ikea steam oven, makes great bread with a timed bread programme.

Happy Kneading!

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1

I don't use a machine, but I don't always have the time/energy to make bread due to the kneading.  I like to bake rolls in the oven though.  I'm wondering whether a bread machine (used to mix) or a food processor (with a dough hook) might be better?  Any opinions?

• Like 1

I use Lighthouse. It's in a box. Makes fab pizza dough and good bread. They also do wholemeal bread flours, depending on the type.

Or sometimes go to the whole foods stores and buy loose or packaged flour for bread making. 

Thanks everyone. So far my efforts have been just following directions - which worked. I bought w Panasonic machine having read all the reviews and it was absolutely great, with some nice recipes for speciality breads too. We originally started bread making when we returned to the UK after many years in Belgium and Luxembourg. Couldn't believe how horrible the bread was. I used to make my own bread years ago but I knew I wouldn't get round to doing it by hand every day so I bought the machine.  I have successfully made one loaf of plain brown bread so far, but wondered if there was one brand of flour that was better than any other ... Will not try and get some Lauke flour. 

Many thanks for all the hints. 

22 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I use the Lauke  grains too, they already have salt added and come with yeast satchets.  I do not use a machine and continue to use my old recepe.  

I mix lauke German grain, multi grain and the wallaby bakers flours in various ways and add other stuff depending........... remembering to adjust the salt!  Works just fine.  The wallaby flour isn’t particularly strong but it works.  Just look at the protein content, the higher the better for bread.  I get mine at the local markets.  The German grain is very dark and solid if used on its own, but very tasty.

The Lauke pre mix is the only non white bread flour I have found, but since it is really just flour and salt it works and they are very tasty.

I even managed to start sourdough with the basic white and a few grapes!

I also love my Ikea steam oven, makes great bread with a timed bread programme.

Happy Kneading!

I used Lauke premix, blending different mixes, but it is trial and error  about the yeast but it does give tasty bread.

I use 50/50 plain flour and self raising flour (75c a kg), yeast, water, pinch of salt.  Makes decent pizza pitta and basic bread/ciabatta style in the BBQ with the hood down and costs cents.  You get a slightly better loaf with "proper" bread flours but I can make pizza from scratch in an hour from flour to finished as its so warm that rising after a 5 minute knead takes 30 minutes max!

I also add a splash of milk for a softer crust and olive oil for a ciabatta type air pocket in the bread if I'm making savoury (i.e pizza).  Proper bread flours cost a bit from Coles/Woolies but I'm sure Costco type places have 10kg bags cheaper. 

Edited by seraphim