Wanting to secure an engineering job before the big move to OZ

jayrich89

Hello all, 

Forgive me if this has been asked before but my searches weren't bringing up much in my field.......

Long and short......I want to secure work before emigrating to Victoria or WA, doesn't have to be engineering, just any company that recruit from UK to OZ and pay average or better wages to feed the kids :) ......also will i be eligible for a student loan to help achieve my mechanical engineering degree or do companies in OZ often fund employees to obtain higher educations like they do in the UK..........Carry on reading :) 

I am currently working as a Quality inspector at an International Aerospace/ industrial energy company in the UK and am qualified to a British level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship standard. We predominantly work with Rolls Royce combustion components and directly deal with International companies such as Trans Canada Turbines, Siemens, Rolls Wood Group, Leonardo Helicopters and many more.

(you could probably skip this part....but get to know us) Myself(29), my partner(28 and a qualified hairdresser) and our (unborn as of yet) son have started our skilled migrant residency application for Australia recently, our advisor has said everything looks strong so we have our fingers crossed for the whole process. We have both lived in Australia previously for two years on working holiday visas and met whilst living in New Zealand before (rashly and probably regrettably) returning to the UK. My plan was to achieve my foundation level degree (level 5 HND) in mechanical engineering in the UK then return to Australia to live in Geelong VIC. However due to visas becoming harder to obtain through stricter criteria, along with the fact that we just really don't like the British way of life anymore and miss Australia and New Zealand like crazy, we are thinking of following through with our application based on my current status and Emigrating within 2 years. SO....................

My two queries are....... Does anybody have experience or knowledge in any engineering industries/companies that often recruit employees from the UK to move to OZ?? I currently work for a company that deals with customers such as Rolls Royce, Trans Canada Turbines, Siemens, GE Aviation and many more, so i am more than capable of taking on anything that is thrown my way as I am a very self motivated learner.

If i am accepted on my skilled migrant residency visa, does anybody know if I would be eligible for any type of student loan or grant to achieve a work based mechanical engineering degree part time whilst still working as I will need to support the family. My company in the UK, and most other big companies, fund employees to complete higher education to progress to higher positions within the company, therefore benefitting both employer and employee, is this something that employers do in OZ?? I would apply for the position at my current company but I don't really want to tie into the UK for another 5 years which is one of the conditions of the position offered.

Sorry if this is a bit vague but hopefully somebody can impart some useful knowledge 

Edited by jayrich89

First, you should be aware that your occupation isn't an easy one to get jobs in. We have had members of our sister site Perth Poms had to return to the UK due to lack of work after a lot of commercial aircraft work was sent off shore. 

Then, jobs which include defence aircraft usually require citizenship. 

You are not entitled to a student loan as a PR holder. Only citizens can get that. 

I think it pretty unlikely that an employer would pay for you to return to uni. 

Thanks for the reply, although I said I work within an aero company, a lot of the work I do is industrial energy component repairs....however, being in the quality inspection side of the company it is adaptable within the engineering industry, any sort of factory based production that involves quality inspection such as automotive etc.

If I was to complete me foundation mechanical engineering degree here then it would open up a wide range of engineering fields to apply for, I'm leaning towards that but I just get worried it'll only get harder to obtain visas for oz. 

A couple of companies I have come across on a brief search are Aecom and Downer, anybody have experience with them?? Or even better, have secured employment from abroad with them?? 

We emigrated on PR visas 2.5 years ago & tried tirelessly before moving to secure jobs. I work in marketing & my hubby is a fitter / CNC machinist. Generally, companies won’t entertain you unless you’re in the country - most outsource the recruiting to agencies too so you’re best best is getting in touch with some of them & trying to get on their books once you know an arrival date. Can’t help you with the other questions sorry. Good luck!

Thanks very much for the advice, I'll have a look into some agencies too. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and hold off on the big move until I've completed my degree to give me the edge on finding a decent job 

Don’t wait, if you’ve got the qualifications to meet your visa requirements then just get yourself over here or you might find that your occupation gets knocked off the list altogether leaving you with no visa options at all - that’s what happened to us when we got unwillingly stuck in the UK with no visas to apply for for 3 years as my hubbys occupation was removed off the list! One thing that’s certain about the visa process is the laws / list change every July so you should make the most of being to apply whilst you can

12 hours ago, aconcannon said:

Don’t wait, if you’ve got the qualifications to meet your visa requirements then just get yourself over here or you might find that your occupation gets knocked off the list altogether leaving you with no visa options at all - that’s what happened to us when we got unwillingly stuck in the UK with no visas to apply for for 3 years as my hubbys occupation was removed off the list! One thing that’s certain about the visa process is the laws / list change every July so you should make the most of being to apply whilst you can

I understand what you're saying, it's a very stressful decision to make ha, I've been stressing myself out thinking about it for the last few months but I think I've reached the right decision, if I was to move now just because my skill is currently on the list I would be sacrificing career progression and ultimately making life a lot more difficult for myself and my family. As much as we both know that Australia is our home, I can't rush going there with a child and not being able to secure a good job, id rather be here knowing I've tried my best to better our future, than in Oz thinking we've acted rashly and ultimately not ended up with the standard of life we were moving to Oz for in the first place. 

It's only another 4 years, if my skill isn't on the list anymore then we'll try NZ as that's where my heart really is....just unfortunately the money isn't there ?

Complete your degree in UK, DO NOT move over prior to completing it otherwise you will never complete it. The jobs market here is about who you know not what you know. I am chartered and it counts for very little despite being very highly regarded in U.K.

Engineering here is a small field and generally employers want hands on. 

I secured work whilst in London on very good terms in Brisbane. It lasted for 6 months before leaving for another position where I still work. Work attitudes are very different however the better lifestyle compensates.

Best of luck however do not be over confident as you will get a few knocks on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

My advise would be to get to Oz as soon as possible. Most aerospace work is currently in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. Boeing is present in Melbourne, BAE in Adelaide, there are a number of smaller defence contractors in Melbourne.

I have always found that if you are confident in your abilities and pleasent, then opportunities will arise for you. 

A degree without experience is of little use.

Thanks for your opinions and advice guys, even if we wanted to get to oz ASAP we've realised it's not possible for us as we weren't expecting the visa process to cost quite so much but it is what it is. I currently work for an Aero/industrial turbine company in the Uk so I will be gaining more experience and qualifications whilst completing my degree so it's a win win with the experience/qualifications debate. 

Our plan is to save our asses off this year, and start our application at the end of this year, by the time it's all accepted etc I will be midway through my HND, then a flying visit to Perth in winter to activate our visas and stay with a friend free of charge for a couple weeks to keep the cost down. 

Then just save save save in the UK until I've finished my HND. Then it's all systems go 

Obviously the skills list etc could change in the next 12 months but we don't have a choice in that short of a lottery win ?