Moving to Melbourne, where to live good commute & great for young families

Phoebe18

generally ok - it can be a bit of a free for all at peak rush hour, and largely depends if the doors open right in front of you!!

but by the time you get to cheltenham, seats are freed up

We love where we live, its close to the beach / mornington pennisula, although we would have loved to have bought within walking distance of the beach, but couldn't make the money work. Having said that, with the amount of crap the kids take to the beach, we take the car anyway and its only a 10 minute drive anyway!

Have you looked at Williamstown? It’s quite a wealthy suburb and has a good high street with lots of shops & nice cafes & delis. A lovely beach & lots of nice walks along the waterfront & stunning views across the water to the city skyline? It’s definitely a family friendly area, there’s 3 train stations & it takes 20 mins on the train to southern cross. We lived there happily for 6 months & have family still living there now.

12 hours ago, aconcannon said:

Have you looked at Williamstown? It’s quite a wealthy suburb and has a good high street with lots of shops & nice cafes & delis. A lovely beach & lots of nice walks along the waterfront & stunning views across the water to the city skyline? It’s definitely a family friendly area, there’s 3 train stations & it takes 20 mins on the train to southern cross. We lived there happily for 6 months & have family still living there now.

I hadn’t considered Williamstown, but will definitely be checking it out. Seems to be a fair amount on West side do you know if there are good schools for the children too? Thanks in advacnce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I hadn’t considered Williamstown, but will definitely be checking it out. Seems to be a fair amount on West side do you know if there are good schools for the children too? Thanks in advacnce

I don’t have children but I have friends in Williamstown who do & have never had any issue with their little ones at the local primary. In terms of private schools I’m not sure what’s around there sorry. It’s a really lovely place though if you want more of a beachy lifestyle but still close to the city.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

My company managed to expedite my Visa and it came through this week... flights booked for March 7th so lots to do in the next few weeks!

as we don’t know how long a commute I will be happy with we decided to get a 30 day rental in Frankston which will enable us to travel up the bay and down that bit further to MT Eliza and see where seems the best fit for house inn schools commmute etc.

on another note what has everyone done for health insurance? It’s a condition of the 457 we get it but don’t know where to start looking at  package to look at.

as always thanks in advance for the help.

thanks

Z

On 09/02/2018 at 19:36, Phoebe18 said:

My company managed to expedite my Visa and it came through this week... flights booked for March 7th so lots to do in the next few weeks!

as we don’t know how long a commute I will be happy with we decided to get a 30 day rental in Frankston which will enable us to travel up the bay and down that bit further to MT Eliza and see where seems the best fit for house inn schools commmute etc.

on another note what has everyone done for health insurance? It’s a condition of the 457 we get it but don’t know where to start looking at  package to look at.

thanks

Z

Beware of Frankston,  much of it is somewhat unsavoury with a huge amount of anti social behaviour, drugs are also rife.   South Frankston is a nice residential suburb and quite different.   We are currently at a caravan park on the edge of Frankston visiting family. Every night the main road outside (Mooraduc Highway) is a drag strip for a handful of psychopath drivers and in the morning when we drive out we find the road criss crossed with tyre marks.    When we did live nearby before returning to the UK last year we found it was impossible to park at the station if you went after about 7.15  and you will probably have to drive to a station as not much residential (that you would care to live in) is walking distance. Trains mostly reliable during the week but  many weekends there are closures for line upgrades and repairs.   3 times on this visit we have been tossed off the trains to continue for a few stations on the bus.

Edited by Steve99

Hi Phoebe18. I bet you’re all super excited. We’re in the process of doing the same. Aiming to be out there June/July. Would love to hear how u find Frankston South when you get out there? Re the 30day rental - any tips on sorting this out. We’re currently thinking we will air bnb it. Regards

richard 

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:36, Phoebe18 said:

thanks

Z

Pheobe be sure to look at the older eastern suburbs including outer eastern. These suburbs are established with good transport, parklands and schools and are popular for a reason. I know that Frankston looks good on paper but it can be a bit bogan as Steve99 has hinted at, plus it's a long commute. Suburbs seem to attract their own type and it's going to take a while for you to work out where you fit.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 00:43, Steve99 said:

Beware of Frankston,  much of it is somewhat unsavoury with a huge amount of anti social behaviour, drugs are also rife.   South Frankston is a nice residential suburb and quite different.   We are currently at a caravan park on the edge of Frankston visiting family. Every night the main road outside (Mooraduc Highway) is a drag strip for a handful of psychopath drivers and in the morning when we drive out we find the road criss crossed with tyre marks.    When we did live nearby before returning to the UK last year we found it was impossible to park at the station if you went after about 7.15  and you will probably have to drive to a station as not much residential (that you would care to live in) is walking distance. Trains mostly reliable during the week but  many weekends there are closures for line upgrades and repairs.   3 times on this visit we have been tossed off the trains to continue for a few stations on the bus.

Thanks for this info. It’s right by the beach in a place called Long Island. 

I think we will end up further up the bay Sandringham area but as we also liked to look of mt Eliza just wanted to give the commute a chance.

i also like that further up you go there are more train line options to get in.

Cheers

22 hours ago, Melbpom said:

Pheobe be sure to look at the older eastern suburbs including outer eastern. These suburbs are established with good transport, parklands and schools and are popular for a reason. I know that Frankston looks good on paper but it can be a bit bogan as Steve99 has hinted at, plus it's a long commute. Suburbs seem to attract their own type and it's going to take a while for you to work out where you fit.

Thanks for the above.

its just hard to imagine areas just by looking on internet. We are hertfordshire / north Essex area at the moment so suits the family to have lots of outside and fields and be a goodish commute for me to get into London.

look8ng forward to driving round the areas.

are you still out there?

thanks

On 2/15/2018 at 20:00, richandniki said:

Hi Phoebe18. I bet you’re all super excited. We’re in the process of doing the same. Aiming to be out there June/July. Would love to hear how u find Frankston South when you get out there? Re the 30day rental - any tips on sorting this out. We’re currently thinking we will air bnb it. Regards

richard 

Will let you know what the area is like for sure. Yes for 30day rental we just went and found an air bnb. As we only booked it 3weeks out there were only a few options as we preferred a house vs flat so the kids can run around and let off some steam too.

what areas have you been looking at and will you be commuting into CBD?

thanks

10 minutes ago, Phoebe18 said:

Thanks for this info. It’s right by the beach in a place called Long Island. 

I think we will end up further up the bay Sandringham area but as we also liked to look of mt Eliza just wanted to give the commute a chance.

i also like that further up you go there are more train line options to get in.

Cheers

Hi,  you should be alright for the short time there and Long-island is nice in the summer-early autumn months..   Check out the suburbs along the Frankston line between Carrum and  Mentone (probably the nicest along that line with the best balance of what you need/want and full of private and nice enough  state schools and close to shopping etc). These are mostly quite nice, near the beach,  a bit closer to the city  40- 50 mins,  somewhat more up market than Frankston and state schools, certainly at primary level seem pretty nice.   The good thing about these suburbs is that you will not be completely car-bound.  

23 hours ago, Phoebe18 said:

Will let you know what the area is like for sure. Yes for 30day rental we just went and found an air bnb. As we only booked it 3weeks out there were only a few options as we preferred a house vs flat so the kids can run around and let off some steam too.

what areas have you been looking at and will you be commuting into CBD?

thanks

Looking at Frankston South up towards Chelsea. I won’t be commenting into CBD as my office will be somewhere in the Bayside Peninsula (won’t know exactly where until ready to move). Good luck with everything ?

Guest The Pom Queen

Frankston South is lovely, plenty of million dollar properties down there. I’d avoid Frankston North and you will be fine. The only other areas around there I’d personally avoid is Doveton, Dandenong and a couple of others which aren’t as bad as the first two.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:55, The Pom Queen said:

Frankston South is lovely, plenty of million dollar properties down there. I’d avoid Frankston North and you will be fine. The only other areas around there I’d personally avoid is Doveton, Dandenong and a couple of others which aren’t as bad as the first two.

apologies on slow response, been hectic trying to get the house ready for shipping (tomorrow) I think we will end up somewhere like Sandringham, Malvern, Box Hill, Brighton East, Bentleigh East kind of area... Excited to get over and drive round all the areas to find out where we will settle for a while.

Thanks

Z

thanks

Z

I’m not on a 457 visa so please don’t quote me on this, but we’ve got a couple of our friends who came out on a 457. They had to take medical insurance out in order to get the visa, but once it was granted they cancelled it. I think it’s a moral obligation more so than a legal. Try the iselect comparison. website to find the best deal.

• 2 weeks later...

May I throw in another suggestion? Look at Ballan. Quiet country town with the essentials, good schools, shops. Cheap(er) property that actually have back yards, NBN. Hardly any crime, no gangs of kids hanging around. Don't think I've ever seen graffitti there.

1 hour commute on VLine to Southern Cross (I do it every day). If you go for Frankston you'll be taking metro, out here it's Vline so regional train, much like you'd be used to commuting in from Essex (except you can pretty much guarantee a seat at Ballan).

Shout if you want to know anything else about that area :)

• 8 months later...

The Mornington Peninsula is definitely an ideal location. Key areas such as Mt Eliza and Mornington have excellent schools and it really offers everything you need. The Frankston Line is also being extended to Baxter which will make the Mornington Peninsula an easy commute via train or car. The new Mordialloc Freeway is set to speed up the commute via car as well. The main drawcard is the beaches and semi-rural scenic feel of the area unlike anywhere else in Melbourne. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 7.23.34 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 7.24.52 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 2.02.13 am.png