Where do I stay in Melbourne?

BlackKnight

I recently got PR for Melbourne under visa category 190. I am planning to move there this December 2017-January 2018. I am a single guy in my 30s with an IT background and having US/India work experience. What will be the best place in Melbourne to look for an 1 bedroom apartment or Studio so that I can stay a few months on rent and search for an IT job? Public transportation availability near the place will be awesome as well because I am not planning to get a car for a few months. My budget is decent and could spend about $300-$500 AUD per month. Please advice.

I moved to flemington when I arrived. Easy to get into town and prices arnt too bad, currently paying 350 per week for a 1 bed flat brand new build. Real nice place and across the road from the train station. Has been perfect for the last 11 months of working in the city. 

I had a place, 2 bed detached bungalow, private courtyard in the bad, built in garage. SE Melbourne, 10 - 15 mins walk to 2 train stations, same line, Carnegie, also 10 mins walk to a tram. Very nice location as lots of good shops around depending on your needs.

Around $360/week.

But as @Melb2016 mentioned, is a good location as becoming/become very gentrified of late ie, lots of cafes, coffee shops and close to CBD and other parts of N Melbourne for nice nights out.  If you like cycling, great access to a cycle path close by.