Orthodontist

Chasing a dream

Hi, 

Just a quick question......still in the UK and my daughter has finally received her orthodontic appointment after waiting for 8 months. She is desperate to get her braces to correct her teeth. Do I get them fitted here and then find an orthodontist in Oz to continue treatment, or wait until we get to Oz to have them fitted? We are hoping to be in Oz in Feb. I don't want her to have to wait another 8 months or so to get them fitted in Oz (and here they will be fitted free on NHS) but I also don't want them fitted here and in Oz they do it differently and it will be awkward to find someone who "works with what she has had fitted". 

Hope that all makes sense? 

Over the years a lot of posters have commented that the orthodontist in Aus will probably take them off and start again and not continue with someone's work.  You would still have to pay.  I know for my daughter they were changed quite frequently.

48 minutes ago, Chasing a dream said:

Hi, 

Just a quick question......still in the UK and my daughter has finally received her orthodontic appointment after waiting for 8 months. She is desperate to get her braces to correct her teeth. Do I get them fitted here and then find an orthodontist in Oz to continue treatment, or wait until we get to Oz to have them fitted? We are hoping to be in Oz in Feb. I don't want her to have to wait another 8 months or so to get them fitted in Oz (and here they will be fitted free on NHS) but I also don't want them fitted here and in Oz they do it differently and it will be awkward to find someone who "works with what she has had fitted". 

Hope that all makes sense? 

I very much doubt you will get an orthodontist to take on someone else's work to be honest, you will probably havd to bite the bullet and pay (the not inconsiderable) bill in Australia. One of our boys is a few weeks from finishing his treatment and the other is a few months behind. It's s shame you had to wait so long, it was only 2 months for us. 

When you pony up with your $6-8k you will probably get into an Aus orthodontist within days.  I agree with the others, orthodontists don’t want to be responsible for someone else’s work so they will start from scratch - quite rational really when you think they could be sued if it doesn’t turn out right. You can get payment by instalments but it’s unlikely that you will get much back from private health insurance if you get any at all, don’t know how they view pre-existing conditions for dental work.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks so much for all of this advise......very helpful! So, decision made, we wait until we get to Oz.......fingers crossed it is February and we don't get delayed!

We moved to Oz with my daughter having orthodontist treatment started in the U.K., it was definitely worth starting in the U.K., we saved a few thousand $$$$. Her treatment cost us $3600 would have been double that. Our son started orthodontist treatment last year and has near perfect teeth other than one tooth that sticks out a bit. The cost is $7600. I have got back $1600 from our health insurance but the rest we pay monthly (interest free) over two years. I miss the free NHS orthodontist!! Definitely get the treatment started there if you can!
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, themaccas said:

We moved to Oz with my daughter having orthodontist treatment started in the U.K., it was definitely worth starting in the U.K., we saved a few thousand $$$$. Her treatment cost us $3600 would have been double that. Our son started orthodontist treatment last year and has near perfect teeth other than one tooth that sticks out a bit. The cost is $7600. I have got back $1600 from our health insurance but the rest we pay monthly (interest free) over two years. I miss the free NHS orthodontist!! Definitely get the treatment started there if you can!

With us having twins both with braces the saving for us was huge lol. Having seen every step of the treatment I really can't understand how they can possibly justify that sort of money, it's insane. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, themaccas said:

I agree! I nearly fell over when I learnt how expensive it was. Our oldest son had orthodontist treatment too but had it all done and completed on the NHS thank goodness!

I go to every appointment and the longest is probably 15 minutes, the wires would cost pennies, theres some rubber bands and the little plates that go on the teeth. Someone explain where the money is lol. I' sure someone worked out how much it should cost and then added a zero. 

4 hours ago, bristolman said:

I go to every appointment and the longest is probably 15 minutes, the wires would cost pennies, theres some rubber bands and the little plates that go on the teeth. Someone explain where the money is lol. I' sure someone worked out how much it should cost and then added a zero. 

Takes a lot longer than 15 minutes to actually put the braves on and take them off again, although I agree the check ups take hardly any time at all (so why then was the orthodontist always running late?).

Anyway, as to where the cost comes from, that would be th salaries of all the staff, including assistants and receptionists etc, rental of building space, electricity for lighting, heating cooling etc, cost of training and continuous professional development for the orthodontist and other staff, cost of all the equipment in the rooms, cleaning costs and any other ancillary costs of actually running a business.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NicF said:

Takes a lot longer than 15 minutes to actually put the braves on and take them off again, although I agree the check ups take hardly any time at all (so why then was the orthodontist always running late?).

Anyway, as to where the cost comes from, that would be th salaries of all the staff, including assistants and receptionists etc, rental of building space, electricity for lighting, heating cooling etc, cost of training and continuous professional development for the orthodontist and other staff, cost of all the equipment in the rooms, cleaning costs and any other ancillary costs of actually running a business.

Yes obviously putting them on takes more than 15 minutes, I was referring to the check ups, adjustment etc.

That applies to literally every business though. Over $7000 for what is involved cannot be justified. 

Edited by bristolman

On 11/11/2017 at 17:21, themaccas said:

Thanks for all the info....took my daughter along for the orthodontic assessment to see what the outcome would be, and have been told there is a long waiting list so it will be 6 months before she has an appointment to have them fitted...........REALLY hoping we will be in Oz before then so looks like the decision has been taken away from me anyway! Oh Well.....think it is going to cost an absolute bomb by the sounds of it....apparently she needs to have the block plate braces for 2 months and then have the permanent tracks fitted, so a long complicated process. :/

2 hours ago, Chasing a dream said:

Thanks for all the info....took my daughter along for the orthodontic assessment to see what the outcome would be, and have been told there is a long waiting list so it will be 6 months before she has an appointment to have them fitted...........REALLY hoping we will be in Oz before then so looks like the decision has been taken away from me anyway! Oh Well.....think it is going to cost an absolute bomb by the sounds of it....apparently she needs to have the block plate braces for 2 months and then have the permanent tracks fitted, so a long complicated process. :/

I can't imagine why the waiting list should be so long, I can't recall exactly but it was only weeks for our boys. What area are you in ? Just be thankful you arent going to Australia with twins and they both need them lol

On 14/11/2017 at 23:14, starlight7 said:

Start saving- it is a big, big rip off here!

I'd say its probably just the real costs of medical treatment laid bare. NHS users often don't know the real cost of the medical treatment they are receiving and I am sure it would be comparable. 

• Like 2