Query re: claiming employment

reubs2016

I have applied my EOI but think I may have encountered a problem.

I 'officially' qualified in July 2008 as general electrician as I failed one of my exams. I was working as an electrician before this for a company and they have supplied me with a reference staring employed as general electrician 2007-2009. I sat my final exam in may 2008 and received my qualification then.

In my EOI I claimed points for 2007-2009 As general electrician but clearly my cert says qualified July 2008.

Should I modify my EOI for this reason or not.

I'm not sure what I should do

Sent from my SM-G935F using PomsinOz mobile app

Hi Reubs

Did you get 'points test advice' when you got your skills assessment - i.e. did they tell you how many years of experience they consider you to have? Or did they just assess you as 'positive' to say that you meet the criteria as an electrician? It's two separate parts of the skills assessment - one to say whether you meet the criteria for your professions (this is a positive skills assessment), plus another part to advice you on how many years of experience you can claim on your EOI. But they only give you the 'points advice' for the number of years of experience if you request this service and pay extra for it. Did you do that and, if so, how many years of positive experience does it say on your letter from them? 

I'm definitely no expert and hopefully one will be along soon, but I think you can only count experience from the time you are officially qualified. And even with that you need to deduct the first year as they take that away as a sort of qualification period. On my skills assessment they accepted 5.1 years of my experience as relevant to Construction Project Manager, but the number they put on my letter was 4.1 years as the first year was deducted. Even then I am not claiming the extra 5 points as they failed to deduct my maternity leave from that 4.1 years and they rounded up a month between two jobs. So if that was all taken in to consideration I'm actually a couple of weeks short of 3 years experience. I don't want to be caught out by not actually meeting the points, so I'm not claiming any points at all for work experience. I understand that you don't get your visa application money back if you make false claims so don't want to risk it!

Are you still working as an electrician now? So in 8 months time you will be able to claim the 5 points again, if you are unable to just now?

Also, could you apply for a 190 instead to get the extra 5 points? 

No I did not know this and nobody has told me anything about first year as qualified electrician would be discounted, as I completed 4years apprenticeship? This is the first time i have EVER heard this even thru all my research into 189 visa. Perhaps it is different depending on profession? As I understand it from dibp website time counted is from when u qualify but I do know in other professions this is not the case
I actually am only 4months short 3 years so have suspended my EOI until February and I applied 190 NSW with 55points plus 5points

Sorry, I've no idea if it's only for certain professions, I'll take a look now and try and find out. It's definitely the case for Construction Project Manager when assessed with Vetassess - maybe it's different for trades. I studied for 7 years as an architect (and also worked in architecture for 5 years), but nonetheless they deducted the first of the 5 years that I was working in Project Management as my 'qualifying period'. 

This has just thrown as massive spanner in the works for me. I have wife and 4 kids to add to my visa so can't really afford to mess this up. It's financially costly if I make a mistake while applying and one I can't make.
We just couldn't pay the fees for an agent either as we are a straight forward case. I even have the western Australia electrician licence already. For NSW state sponsorship regardless if I get an invite my overseas employment has no points awarded as I'm under 3years anyway so hopefully that saves me and I get an invite that way.

OK, just had a quick check and it is the case that professions that are assessed by VETASSESS have the first year of their employment deducted.

"Generally with VETASSESS general professional occupations the applicant is only ‘deemed skilled’ after completing a year’s ‘skilled employment’"

It seems that this is different depending on your assessing authority. So it's probable that this isn't the case for electrician, if you haven't seen anything written about it before. Lucky you!! If VETASSESS didn't deduct that year from me I'd have an extra 5 points and have been invited for a 189 by now. Not sure why they do it.

Anyway, good luck with the 190. I got an invite from NSW for 190 a couple of days ago, so probably going to go with that too if the 189 invites don't increase for November.

Good luck with it all. Maybe wait a month for 189 possibly you will have 60 days to submit 190 application.
Fingers crossed I would love 190 invite before Xmas. As unfortunately my 189 is suspended until Feb now because I didn't want to overclaim points so rather than move my DOE by 2months I will u suspend in Feb when I really have 60 points

It can be a very costly mistake if you have over-claimed points.  Even if you can't afford a migration agent for the whole application, paying for a consultation where they can at least review your qualifications and work experience to give you an assessment for how many points you can safely qualify would be a worthwhile investment.

The evidence requirements for Vetassess Trades and Vetassess General occupations are completely different.

For trades, immigration will tend to date your skilled employment from the date of the award of your relevant qualification, and will then count all referenced employment from that point onwards for points. If the qualification is not at the required level, then immigration will instead take off the first three years of your employment to count as an informal 'apprenticeship period' and then count points from there.

Regards,

Richard

The evidence requirements for Vetassess Trades and Vetassess General occupations are completely different.
For trades, immigration will tend to date your skilled employment from the date of the award of your relevant qualification, and will then count all referenced employment from that point onwards for points. If the qualification is not at the required level, then immigration will instead take off the first three years of your employment to count as an informal 'apprenticeship period' and then count points from there.
Regards,
Richard

So is it really means that candidates having 2-3 year education related to trade is good.
Because CO will not deduct initial three years...

Example:, My friends is a Carpenter but he doesn't posses any certificate in carpentry so in his case three years will be deducted... I guess.... Pls suggest

Yes, but not just any education. It has to result in a certificate equivalent to an AQF 3 in the occupation being applied for. So an NVQ 3, Advanced City & Guilds in Carpentry etc.

Level 2 qualifications and below will not be counted.

If the applicant does not have an appropriate qualification, then immigration will deduct the first three years of an applicant's referenced work experience to make up for it, but you won't get points for it.

But in my case i have two years of certificate in my trade and cleared my technical interview...
And got the positive outcome for both stage 1 (Document assessment) and stage 2 (Technical interview)
Still they will deduct initial three years...?