Contributory visa for my parents

Indianinoz

Hello,

Me and my wife migrated to Australia in Dec 2015. We did go to India for 2 trips for around a month each to attend weddings. My questions for contributory parent visa:

a) When are we eligible to apply for contributory parent visa? Its been 22 months since we migrated and we have stayed in Australia for more than 20 months now.
b) What is the cost of applying for the visa for both my mother and father? I heard its about $55,000 for 2 parents, but is all of it an expense or is some portion a deposit which we can withdraw later?
c) I just recently quit my job. I'm developing a business which may take 1-2 years to give fruit. My wife is working full time. Her income is just enough to cover our expenses. Is this OK or will our application have problems?
d) What is the usual processing time for the contributory visa? Is it about 2-3 years? What happens in these 2-3 years? Can I call them to Australia? Do they get a bridging visa? Or is only a visitor visa the option?
e) My grandmother is dependent on my parents. She has no active income(just a little bit of interest income) and she is too old to live by herself. Can she come to Australia with my parents?

I don't have the answers to your specific questions above.  But, as I understand the rules, at least one of the parents must satisfy the age requirements for this visa - 

https://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/39contributory-parent

The primary applicant must satisfy the aged requirement for both Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 864) or Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) applications. An 'aged' parent is one who is old enough to be granted the Australian aged pension.

You mentioned in another thread that your parents were 50 and 55 - so they don't fulfil the age criteria (which is currently 65 years and 6 months).

• Thanks 1

I may be wrong but checked the link you have provided and found there are two types 

&

And age requirement is not applicable to both types.

Age requirements

The primary applicant must satisfy the aged requirement for both Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 864) or Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) applications. An 'aged' parent is one who is old enough to be granted the Australian aged pension.

Edited by mansawant
  • Thanks 1

I will try and answer some of your questions as far as I know.

a

It is more a case of whether you are ‘settled’ in Australia, rather than the length of time, although they do say usually about 2 years. Things like whether you have a permanent job, car , home etc

b

The visa application charges are non refundable  (your estimate is correct).  In addition to the VAC there is an Assurance of Support, which is $10,000 for a single parent plus $4.000 for each additional applicant.  This is refundable after 10 years.

c

You can find information regarding the income requirements to act as Assurer here

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/3/60

It does not necessarily have to be yourself, you and your wife can act as joint Assurers, or any permanent resident. Some companies also do this.

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/1/1/a/310

d

The current processing time is around 3 years I believe, so by this time you may have your business up and running with a suitable income.  Most parents are able to visit during this time on a visitors visa.  The Contributory Parent visa 143 is an offshore visa, so no they will not be granted a bridging visa.  In order to apply onshore and stay in Australia one of your parents will need to be over 65 and apply for the Aged Contributory Parent visa 864, although this does have a shorter processing time (not sure what this is but you can probably find the information on DIBP website.

e

Your parents would have to prove that your grandmother is financially dependent on them.  However, she will also have to pay a VAC and AOS.  More importantly she will have to pass the medical and if she fails your parents application will be refused.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bridgeman said:

Your parents would have to prove that your grandmother is financially dependent on them.  However, she will also have to pay a VAC and AOS.  More importantly she will have to pass the medical and if she fails your parents application will be refused.

Only dependent children can be included.

OP, once your parents receive their visas and meet the sponsorship eligibility requirements, they could then sponsor your grandmother.

• Thanks 1