Cost for education and health?

KPG

Hello,

This is my very first topic and I hope to receive some info that can put my mind at ease.

We are a family of 4 (2 kids) and are working on a migration plan to Adelaide, SA under the sub class via 489 which does not give similar benefits of a 189 or 190 visa category, i.e. education and health benefits.

My question's and concerns are:

- How expensive would schooling and health cover be?

- Can I enroll my children in a public school or does it only have to be a private school?

- What would the health coverage or insurance take care of, only doctors consultations and or medications?

Any additional info that you feel can be of help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

You might get some Medicare benefits if you're currently living in a country with a reciprocal arrangement. Where are you from?

Education is free in SA for 489 visa holders. They only charge for children of 457 visa holders. So you will be treated the same as people with a PR visa and your children can attend State Schools, no problem.

• Like 1

You might get some Medicare benefits if you're currently living in a country with a reciprocal arrangement. Where are you from?
Education is free in SA for 489 visa holders. They only charge for children of 457 visa holders. So you will be treated the same as people with a PR visa and your children can attend State Schools, no problem.

Thank you Nick, appreciate your feedback.

I am in the UAE at present.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I haven't posted for...years lol...but I've just seen your question.

I don't understand visas etc but I do live in SA, so I figured I'd reply.

It's up to you whether you choose the public or private school system, but either way you will pay. Unless you're eligible for a school card - based on income and applied for specifically (the school will have the forms) - everyone pays something toward their child's education. 

It's been a fair few years since my kids were in primary school, but I think we paid around $250pa per child at a public school. High school is around $800pa per child for a public school, with some of the popular schools charging a few $100 more. The fee may also depend on what year your child is in, as Year 11/12 can be a tad more expensive.

Healthcare can be expensive if you elect to go privately, but otherwise Medicare is ok. If you find a bulk billing doctor you will pay nothing for your visit, otherwise I believe it's around $15-20 ( but since we use a bulk billing doctor, that's an educated guess!). Should you need medication, scripts can be expensive, but manageable.

Many people choose to have Extras Cover through a private medical insurance company, such as Bupa or Medibank. That will cover at least partway towards the additional cost of dental work, optical services, psychology, physiotherapy or whatever (you choose). Then there's hospital cover, the premiums can be quite high but has always meant you won't have to pay the medical levy-thing paid if you earn over a certain amount. Only you know your family's health and income ?.

One thing you must, must buy is ambulance cover. It's not a huge expense, but is essential as calling an ambo can incur a bill of many $$$! It can be included in private medical cover although call-outs might be limited.

I only answered because I didn't want you to think schooling was totes free, I hope I haven't managed to confuse you. As I said, I don't know whether your visa will mean you pay more for schooling etc, but I'm sure as you won't pay less ?. 

LC

• Like 1