flying long distance with children

neilo

We went to Barbados last year(8 hourflight ) with our then 3.5 year old and he was fine, he had a dvd player and my DS and the plane had seat back tv's with a kids channel, we went with Virgin. They also had a kid's menu and served them first and they gave the kids an activity pack too.

Guest sammy11

they do travel better than you might imagine. think carefully about timings for when you land in australia, it tends to take our little ones longer to recover from a flight to australia than from.

most airlines have in flight entertainment on demand, kids toys, and do make a fuss of them. certainly singapore airlines, as mentioned above, is often rated the most child friendly.

we thought it would be horrendous for us travelling with small children, but the time went quicker than we thought. do take night clothes for them so they can get into those on the flight

Guest Alet Viljoen
hi, what it like flying with children.our longest flight so far is 3 hours-how do you entertain them and what sort of food do you have?do you pre book or buy on the plane?:jimlad:

In the same situation...We're flying from South Africa - its a 25hour flight...my kiddies are 2.5y and 2mnths! no idea how thats gonna be...

It's not a big deal. I went to UK with my kids on my own when one was 12 weeks and the other was 3.5 (we had always travelled as a couple with the oldest and he made his first trip at 6 months). We had a bassinette for the baby and all was fine - I did walk across Asia in the middle of the night with DS2 but that wasnt a problem as everyone was asleep anyway. I did it in reverse when DS2 was 5 months and have done it several times with them on my own as they got older. DS1 went back on his own at age 9 and was very blase about it.

Nowadays there is entertainment on tap for any kids who are in the least bit interested in movies or games as the seats all have their own channel selection. You can order childrens meals - although childrens vegetarian is a bit hit and miss. The airline has kids packs to entertain them with colouring and puzzles but you could take along a few little goodies for them to unwrap en route. My kids were in the era of transformers and dinky toys so they went down well. When they were little we took a favourite friend (a very small favourite friend) stuffed toy (we have the world's best travelled Tigger in our family!) and it was their responsibility to look after their friend. Travel light, you dont want to be hassling with belongings when you need to be watching for kids. And, most important, give them a motion sickness pill even if you dont think they are going to be motion sick - just in case!!! You really do not want to be chucked all over at any stage of the journey.

It's a breeze really.

thanks for the advice our children are 3,8,12,14,16 so some of them will be ok about traveling the younger ones more difficult.like you say the airlines know theres going to be children aboard and its a v.long flight, sounds like theres more entertainment than on a typical holiday (2-3hour) flight!

Guest Jaynie

I have just come home to Australia from the UK, there were loads of kids on the flights and they were all well behaved, they tend to sleep a lot and I can recommend Singapore airlines, they are brilliant with the kids, order kids meals and they get them first, they have things for them to play with and the DVD/games consuls are a blessing, plenty to watch and listen to. Changi Airport is lovely too so they get to stretch their little legs.

Hope all goes well with your trip over here.

Guest gary12

We were dreading the flight with our 18mth old (doesn't sit for a minute!) and our 4 yr old. We had packed loads of activities for them to do and I can honestly say we didn't open a single thing. We flew Singapore and they are fab. The childrens meals were good, pasta, meatballs, fishfingers all the things kids like. They got an activity pack as soon as we got on the plane.

I will bore you with my tips;

don't get on the plane first, it's just another half an hour to sit. Get yourself organised in departures so you have everything you need during take off so that you can be one of the last to get on.

An inflatable beach ball, great for kicking about in departures, doesn't go far and won't hurt anyone if it hits them.

We sent our eldest to school in the morning and had an early evening flight from LHR, they slept almost all the way with the exception of the first 3 hours but they sat as good as gold.

We had a transit hotel in Singapore and took turns to keep the kids awake whilst the other slept, quick shower and ready for the next part. They both fell asleep on the runway at Singapore then we had to wake them at Melbourne (7 hrs).

OUr youngest had Jetlag for about 3 days but that was it.

On our return we had no jet lag to speak of. We got to bed about 9pm then all got up as normal the following day and I even packed my eldest off to school. He yawned alot but he was fine.

I think we worry too much. There was a little boy (9mths) who cried from SIngapore to London and his parents we beside themselves I think if they had relaxed a little he would have calmed down, no one complained and I was 2 rows behind and he didn't disturb me.

Sorry for the long post,

best wishes

Michelle

Guest gary12

yet another tip, those with young children those little aqua draw colouring packs are great, they weigh nothing and of course the pack just uses water so once dry you can reuse the same sheets.

Guest Jaynie
We were dreading the flight with our 18mth old (doesn't sit for a minute!) and our 4 yr old. We had packed loads of activities for them to do and I can honestly say we didn't open a single thing. We flew Singapore and they are fab. The childrens meals were good, pasta, meatballs, fishfingers all the things kids like. They got an activity pack as soon as we got on the plane.

I will bore you with my tips;

don't get on the plane first, it's just another half an hour to sit. Get yourself organised in departures so you have everything you need during take off so that you can be one of the last to get on.

An inflatable beach ball, great for kicking about in departures, doesn't go far and won't hurt anyone if it hits them.

We sent our eldest to school in the morning and had an early evening flight from LHR, they slept almost all the way with the exception of the first 3 hours but they sat as good as gold.

We had a transit hotel in Singapore and took turns to keep the kids awake whilst the other slept, quick shower and ready for the next part. They both fell asleep on the runway at Singapore then we had to wake them at Melbourne (7 hrs).

OUr youngest had Jetlag for about 3 days but that was it.

On our return we had no jet lag to speak of. We got to bed about 9pm then all got up as normal the following day and I even packed my eldest off to school. He yawned alot but he was fine.

I think we worry too much. There was a little boy (9mths) who cried from SIngapore to London and his parents we beside themselves I think if they had relaxed a little he would have calmed down, no one complained and I was 2 rows behind and he didn't disturb me.

Sorry for the long post,

best wishes

Michelle

Michelle, this is a fantastic post with some great ideas! I will click your chicken now.

Guest gary12
Michelle, this is a fantastic post with some great ideas! I will click your chicken now.

Yay! :jiggy:

:wubclub:

Archived