Registering as a midwife in australia

thebigmove2017

I am recently qualified midwife and wondering is it possible for me to register with aphra before I move.  we haven't moved yet as I am still doing my degree and we wanted to wait until I qualified. Now that I am qualified can I go before I register. Don't want to be out of work while I wait for registration to come through.

Any help or advice appreciated

Sent from my SM-A300FU using PomsinOz mobile app

Edited by thebigmove2017

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Overseas-Practitioners.aspx

The link above should provide some guidance.

As far as I understand it you can get 'registration in principle' , then you have to attend an AHPRA office in Aus within 3 months to verify your id.

You have to do something re ANMAC too

https://www.anmac.org.au/

but I'm not a nurse/midwife so I can't help there. I'm sure someone else will be able to provide further info.

I wasn't sure if I needed to get my skills assessed via anmac as I already have pr before I qualified, we only activated our visa with a plan to move once I qualified. Just can't make head nor tail of where to start as on aphra it asked for oz address/bank cards etc which I don't have as I'm still at home

1 hour ago, thebigmove2017 said:

I wasn't sure if I needed to get my skills assessed via anmac as I already have pr before I qualified, we only activated our visa with a plan to move once I qualified. Just can't make head nor tail of where to start as on aphra it asked for oz address/bank cards etc which I don't have as I'm still at home

You only need the skills assessment for the visa - you already have PR so it is a matter of meeting the criteria to register with AHPRA.  

• 1 month later...
On 06/08/2017 at 21:15, thebigmove2017 said:

Re: ANMAC

You do not need an ANMAC skills assessment as you already have pr via your partner. ANMAC is only needed for skilled visa applications.

Re: AHPRA

You would need to meet the registration standards outlined on their website;

1. Criminal history -via fit2Work

2. English language skills 

3. Professional indemnity insurance arrangements -just agree to say you will be covered by your employer when you start working in Aus.

4. recency of practice

a) you need to get UK Nursing and Midwifery Council to send a Certificate of Good Standing to AHPRA (see NMC website working abroad)

b) you need a professional reference from your manager/supervisor (who has to be a nurse/midwife)  + minimum 3 months full-time employment

:)

On ‎7‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 04:15, thebigmove2017 said:

ANMAC is only for visa purposes.  If you already have your visa then you need only register with  AHPRA.