Free TV in Australia (NSW) - how does it work?

OZnewbie

Hi everyone,

Juat wondering what the extent of free channels do I get if I dont pay for any additional equipment besides a TV...At the moment I am only interested in having the standard free channels without paying for Foxtel (One, Abc, Sbs one, channel 9, 10 etc) do I need any additional equipment or is it a matter of just connecting the Television (brand new) to a plug in the wall?

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G928F using PomsinOz mobile app

You will soon be looking for an alternative, ABC and SBS are ok but in general Australian TV sucks (unless you like ads every 5 mins and reality tv)

I watch little to nothing on "TV" now - stream everything and have the Irish/UK channels for sport

Australian TV is rubbish....

I currently have Foxtel and considering cancelling it once I have watched all the recorded programs on IQ

Seriously thinking about living without TV as I am so busy during the day, read a great deal, and actually have little time to just sit and watch crap shows.

• Like 2

To be honest, Ive been watching the free TV channels from a serviced apartment over the past few months and I think they are not that bad although my tastes are not really known as being refined. When I was unemployed and on a crappy weather day, I enjoyed nothing more than to watch some Cheers, Becker, McGyver or Mattlock. :) . I had Netflix but could never find anything to watch so I cancelled it.

Funny how people complain about Aus TV. TV in general, specially free to air, has been getting worse wherever you live. Since the invention of reality TV shows, which we detest we find we watch more SBS and ABC. There are some good series on, a lot of them British that we watch. TV is TV and for us just to watch and relax. Doesn't enhance our lifestyle or wellbeing. If there's nothing much on I can read a book or mess with the guitar for an hour or two. Probably do me more good than watching TV but really it's OK.

Don't know why there's an incessant push to stream stuff, specially more of the same crap. There's been a fantastic medium for delivering TV for years without the need for a super expensive NBN network and fast internet connection. Streaming TV over it is just choking it up for people who are doing something worthwhile.

There's heaps of stuff free to download too if you're desperate.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OZnewbie said:

To be honest, Ive been watching the free TV channels from a serviced apartment over the past few months and I think they are not that bad although my tastes are not really known as being refined. When I was unemployed and on a crappy weather day, I enjoyed nothing more than to watch some Cheers, Becker, McGyver or Mattlock. :) . I had Netflix but could never find anything to watch so I cancelled it.

Depends on your taste, I suppose.  I like my drama.

Good shows on Netflix, House of Cards, Bloodline, Broadchurch, Suits, Homeland, Orange is the new black (1st season), The Fall, Shooter

Some good films too.

That's just off the top of my head.

Currently rewatching GoT in anticipation of Series 7 in a few weeks.

Don't think I have watched anything on 7, 9 or 10 in years.  Too many ads.

• 1 month later...