Movecube advice

Pixie77

Hi house is under contract , settlement date 21St July, so we're about to book move cube ( still debating size!). After a bit of advice- taking some furniture- chest of drawers etc, do I wrap all in bubble wrap? Any other tips? 

Not unless you feel you need to. 

We didn't bubble wrap our furniture that we put in a movecube. It was fine. By the time its packed in tightly and boxes etc go in if it doesn't move it should be fine. 

The only thing not boxed that we wrapped with any kind of padding was the computer. Oh and we put a mattress cover on our mattress. 

8 hours ago, Pixie77 said:

Hi house is under contract , settlement date 21St July, so we're about to book move cube ( still debating size!). After a bit of advice- taking some furniture- chest of drawers etc, do I wrap all in bubble wrap? Any other tips? 

Hi Pixie we're just at the same stage as you.  Don't know if you've tried this but yesterday we marked out a move cube sized rectangle on the floor of our living room and started fiddling around with furniture to see how it would go. Measured everything we want to take. It was a big help, we now have a better idea of how much we can fit it.   Anyone know how quickly you can get a move cube organised?

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Anyone know how quickly you can get a move cube organised?

When we used them I booked ahead about 6-8 weeks but recall them saying a couple of weeks notice should be enough. They had to come out to check the delivery site to make sure trailer with cube in could fit etc and sign off on it. And this was a week or so before the cube was delivered. 

Best bet is to give them a call and ask as they are generally excellent in answering customer questions and it can perhaps vary from area to area. 

Thanks yes we're going to mark out the space on the floor & we've decided on a large cube.

I rang seven seas a few days ago they said 2 weeks is minimum needed, but they checked to see availability for that week too. 

Fisher1 when do you go? What are you taking?? 

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi Pixie we're just at the same stage as you.  Don't know if you've tried this but yesterday we marked out a move cube sized rectangle on the floor of our living room and started fiddling around with furniture to see how it would go. Measured everything we want to take. It was a big help, we now have a better idea of how much we can fit it.   Anyone know how quickly you can get a move cube organised?

We booked ours on a Wednesday and filled it on the Friday, but had to take our stuff to their depot. So, had a friend with a trailer help. We had also already marked out on the floor of the garage and measured out how much we could fit. We only had boxes though so it was easy. 

1 hour ago, Pixie77 said:

Thanks yes we're going to mark out the space on the floor & we've decided on a large cube.

I rang seven seas a few days ago they said 2 weeks is minimum needed, but they checked to see availability for that week too. 

Fisher1 when do you go? What are you taking?? 

We've been waiting to be sure our house got through its survey before we did detailed planning. We are now hoping to go mid August so need to get our skates on with the move cube. Taking mostly personal stuff in boxes but are taking washing machine, kitchen table and chairs and a bed. TBC haha

20 hours ago, Pixie77 said:

Yeah we're taking washing machine, freezer, bed drawers, outdoor table & then boxes. Good luck!

How many / what size boxes do you think you'll get in?  We cant work it out and don't want to pack stuff and then not be able to take it ....   tricky isn't it?

It's really hard. We marked floor yesterday & started packing boxes. We got a few different size plastic ones from bunnings but as we're getting large move cube we get some boxes from them too . I think we'll fit a fair few in - going to have another go today!

Ha that's yesterday's news. We no sooner had a possible completion date than something unexpected came up from the survey ... Looks like it might all go pear shaped ... I knew I would jinx it if I said we had a date (last week in August) if it all falls through we could be months longer waiting to sell. :-( sigh.

10 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Ha that's yesterday's news. We no sooner had a possible completion date than something unexpected came up from the survey ... Looks like it might all go pear shaped ... I knew I would jinx it if I said we had a date (last week in August) if it all falls through we could be months longer waiting to sell. :-( sigh.

Stressful isn't it. I am on the other end of the chain having made offer subject to survey, won't buy if there are structural issues. Hope yours gets resolved soon.

On 27 June 2017 at 04:26, Fisher1 said:

You can complete after you leave Oz. We sold after moving back, it just means a trip to Australia House in London to have the paperwork stamped. 

On 27/06/2017 at 13:26, Fisher1 said:

What a bummer Fisher1. :/

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

You can complete after you leave Oz. We sold after moving back, it just means a trip to Australia House in London to have the paperwork stamped. 

we're moving in the other direction ... But I think we can complete after we leave, I would just rather have it all sorted before we go ...   Thanks for the moral support everyone, it's appreciated. :)

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 06:10, Fisher1 said:

we're moving in the other direction ... But I think we can complete after we leave, I would just rather have it all sorted before we go ...   Thanks for the moral support everyone, it's appreciated. :)

A key thing to sort out is how to transfer the dosh. There are plenty of transfer companies but you have to get the money to them and traditional UK banks have limits on online and phone transactions. For large amounts they want you to front up and show ID. 

I am sure there are ways around this perhaps your conveyancer can help but you will to need to sort it out before you go.

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

A key thing to sort out is how to transfer the dosh. There are plenty of transfer companies but you have to get the money to them and traditional UK banks have limits on online and phone transactions. For large amounts they want you to front up and show ID. 

I am sure there are ways around this perhaps your conveyancer can help but you will to need to sort it out before you go.

I think we're fairly well organised on that one - have had a bank in oz for years who have been helpful with advice on moving money ... what terrifies me is moving such large amounts (house hopefully) of money ... close eyes, deep breath, go for it ???  

Okay, so looking on the bright side and assuming our house sale will go through (???)  I rang seven seas this morning to ask about move cubes, having already checked out the basics online. 

We were under the impression that a large movecube would cost about £1000 with possibly extra charges of a couple of hundred dollars to deliver in Australia if it had to stay at the docks in Sydney for a bit while we look for a rental ...   So the nice lady on the phone said that no, the cost of the movecube would be approximately £965 at the UK end, with a further $1002 approximately payable in Sydney ... a lot more than we thought.

Can anyone offer any advice, because we're thinking again about having a conventional removal and taking more with us?

All info gratefully received!

18 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

I think we're fairly well organised on that one - have had a bank in oz for years who have been helpful with advice on moving money ... what terrifies me is moving such large amounts (house hopefully) of money ... close eyes, deep breath, go for it ???  

Yes I was terrified as well, it's natural when you are moving your life savings. It went through from Aus no hassle but then I couldn't move it from my UK bank to a savings acct unless I fronted up to the branch. Aus banks appear to be much more geared up for this sort of thing.

Hi @Fisher1

When we were considering to take most of our furniture or sell most, I read from a few people on this forum to consider (a) will it fit in houses in UK (b) has it got sentimental value (c) how much to buy again v's cost of moving.

So we've sold our big lounge (for less than half of original price) and not taking fridges, washing machines, dryer (they got wrapped up in the house sale - buyer forced us down that path). We got quote from Chess for dining table & 6 chairs, 3 piece Jason recliner leather lounge, queen size bed suite & mattress, buffet, hall tables x 2, entertainment unit, considerable boxes of clothes / shoes, dyson vac and household efforts (linen, towels etc) - costs $8245 (Perth to England).

The cost of buying marri dining table and Jason leather lounge equalled the same price (thereabouts) of the shipping.  Knowing that we'd sold some furniture we'd paid good money for and got very little we decided to go ahead with the 20 foot sea container - we didn't make money on house sale so buying again upon arrival would be difficult.

Everyone is different but that's how we decided and based on posts I'd read on this forum how others also decided.

Hope this helps some.

Archived