PSS came today to ship -here's what I learnt

adele244

We decided on PSS to ship our goods and they arrived yesterday to start packing up. I can honestly say the 3 guys were totally amazing :-) I just kept them watered and fed.

I did have too check as I saw a kitchen shelve that I had marked to stay, had been packed away but no big deal.

The mistakes I made:

completely and utterly convinced that a lot of stuff would absolutely no way fit in the container, so I left them out of the way. What I should have done is let them package EVERYTHING up regardless because as it turns out there was massive amounts of space left in the container. It was simply too late by then to start cleaning the items and get them wrapped and stacked. So it was gutting to see so much left behind that could have gone in the end.

what created a lot more space than we anticipated was that our dining table dismantle and even the chairs dismantled so that ended up taking hardly any room.

I even threw away loads of things just before they came - why did I do this??? It all could have all gone in the end.... I was far too premature in doing this.

Here are some photos of the container and I will let you know how we get on at the other end. 

So far this has been a fantastic experience.

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

149F464F-C170-4D5B-B910-0DA2B31ADB32.MOV

• Like 3

Hi, We are in sunny Sheffield!

When the rep came round he said we would have an area the size of our 3 seater sofa remaining. Which we duly added a few more suitcases to fill this so called "void" and yet still I would say the container wasn't two thirds full. I was really stupid about stuffing every single void such as shoes, vases, tubs...everything with an internal space was stuffed with something. 

Every drawer had a cushion in to, the divan drawers on the bed had quilts and more cushions - there was nothing that was not stuffed!!!!! maybe that created far more space than the rep had expected - but he told me to do this so I don't understand.  

Every time I asked if the stuff would fit (this is the day before whilst they were packing) they said "yes" - I just wish they would have said "yes - with miles of room to spare" then that night I would have stuffed a couple more cases!

• Like 2

On 6/27/2017 at 18:05, unzippy said:

Thanks for that, what package did you go for and what size shipping container?

Ta!

20' foot container full packing and unpacking service door to door. Cost £4,000 plus £905 insurance with Insure your move.com

1 hour ago, Lucy Jane Victoria Hose said:

So useful! Thank you. I feel sick every time I think about packing. Did you pack any bikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we packed 2 bikes. Pressure washed them down, used a hard brush to get out all the dirt in the tyre treads and  drowned in Jayes fluid. It was helpful that it was a sunny day.

It is not as bad as you think. x

Hi,

I bought a load of suitcases from charity shops for next to nothing, didn't matter what they looked like!

Filled theses with clothes so they didn't pack them. I stuck a few of the silicone gel packs in. They do offer at a cost a cardboard wardrobe service but they say this will take up more room.

they advise against vacuum bags for mould but I used them for quilts, teddys and cushions. My friend advised me they also did this and they arrived with no problems. I did put loads of the moisture absorber packs in as well.

Will let you know how they arrive.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has your container arrived yet? We have PSS coming to pack our house up a week today!

feel slightly under prepared - did you pack up all your clothes for them? I presumed they would do all this! 

I presume they pack and wrap all the delicate stuff to make sure it's packed properly? 

Good luck xxx

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2017 at 21:55, SimonandSian said:

Has your container arrived yet? We have PSS coming to pack our house up a week today!

feel slightly under prepared - did you pack up all your clothes for them? I presumed they would do all this! 

I presume they pack and wrap all the delicate stuff to make sure it's packed properly? 

Good luck xxx

How did it go on Thurs, what did you learn?

They visit us in three weeks ?

Hi unzippy- thanks for getting in touch!

We had a very positive experience you'll be glad to know! I presume you have booked with PSS also?

First of all the crew were very friendly and helpful - I was concerned they may be grumpy and cause issues as the inventory had changed a bit from when the survey was taken.

They packed all our clothes from the wardrobes, all the kitchen stuff, dismantled the beds/dining tables etc. 

They also gave advice on what was ok to take and what probably wasn't worth the risk. 

Our pack is slightly different as they were packing the house that we have just sold, but we are then storing in self storage until November when they will return, add some stuff that we have needed between now and then and ship aiming for the container to be in perth mid-late January 2018.

we were pretty stressed and felt very underprepared but it was fairly stress free in the end. 

Are you packing and shipping straight away? When do you fly and where to?

Best of luck!

Yup, PSS.

We move out of here and into Dad's after PSS pack us up. Fly on the 1st Nov, 2 months in Tasmania with the inlaws and then Melbourne after Christmas. We are expecting our stuff to land and get processed before the Christmas rush so we cna get it delivered as soon as we find a place in Melb.

What sort of stuff did they recomend wasn't worth risking?  I've spent today cleaning my tools, tent pegs and the rest of the camping stuff.  Got a few aerosol cans of stuff like wd40, bike lube and white spirit (standard garage stuff) that I'm not sure about.

Also, unopened bags of ground spices, unopened sauces - did you take any food stuffs?

Hi Guys, just an update. The container was delayed, should have been at Brisbane on the 4th but landed on the 10th. (was because of the Mearsk cyber attack) it took exactly 7 days for quarantine to clear it, which was on a Friday and we got it delivered the following Wednesday. 

So all in all it took from June 23rd to August 23rd door step to door step.  The container that arrived was a different one, so they definitely removed all the stuff and put it back in another container. Nothing was stolen or damaged which I was very surprised at.

Very happy with PSS. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 29/08/2017 at 18:55, adele244 said:

Hi Guys, just an update. The container was delayed, should have been at Brisbane on the 4th but landed on the 10th. (was because of the Mearsk cyber attack) it took exactly 7 days for quarantine to clear it, which was on a Friday and we got it delivered the following Wednesday. 

So all in all it took from June 23rd to August 23rd door step to door step.  The container that arrived was a different one, so they definitely removed all the stuff and put it back in another container. Nothing was stolen or damaged which I was very surprised at.

Very happy with PSS. :D

Very happy for you @adele244 I bet it was like Christmas unpacking all your belongings 

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, unzippy said:

Just a thought that occurred to me, upon unpacking, did your stuff smell of  the disinfectant you used?

Just wondering if splashing it about is worth it or it dissipates while at sea?

@unzippy do you mean so all your belongings smell fresh or so that customs think you gave everything a good clean

Customs.

As I sit here stinking of Jeyes fluid, after a marathon session of scrubbing the Wife's many, many, many pairs of shoes (she has a wrist in plaster otherwise it wouldn't be an issue), I'm wondering about a more pleasant smelling disinfectant :D

I'm sure the shoes would be just as clean and safe but I'd smell nicer ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I am now in the process of getting quotes! Eeek....so excited to actually be going now. We are not taking much with us, mostly just pictures, ornaments, some of the kids stuff and a few small appliances etc. Oh and sporting equipment. Anyway, were going to go with a medium movecube as it seemed the cheapest but was told when the cube arrives in Australia we will need to pay an additional $780 for customs or something........PSS quote was for more items so a little more but they said we will only have to pay between $100 and $200 once it arrives in Aus, apparently the entire container customs fee is $600 plus....but we will only pay a portion as we will be sharing with at least 2 others. 

I am a little confused as to why movecube's fees in Aus are so much higher.....and now I am worried we have been under quoted by PSS?? 

Has anybody moved recently using only a portion of a container with PSS, and what did you have to pay once your goods arrived in Aus?

Hope this all makes sense, just don't want to go with PSS and then have a nasty surprise 3 months down the line.

Thanks for your help!

(We are moving to Port Stephens, so Sydney harbour I guess)

Who told you movecube fees were so high? They are a fixed price AU$325 - you can see for yourself if you quote on the website. Whats the total price for the PSS move? plus if you are sharing you may get delayed while its filled with other peoples stuff

Our large movecube was  £890 plus AU$325 all in door to door from Warwickshire to Melbourne SE suburbs

What happened there? the Aus side of the deal didn't honour the Eng quote?

That's what happened with us - PSS quoted us in England for a door to door price based on the size of our shipment.

When it arrived in Aus, the Aus company got in touch to arrange delivery but the prices had drastically changed from what PSS had quoted.

PSS said A$32 a week for storage to A$ 73.00  and A$179 for handling to A$459.00!

I queried this with them, cc'ing the people I'd dealt with at PSS and attacing the original quote - it got sorted;)

Not a good introduction to Australian business practices:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1