School year help!

sunshinedawn

Foreign country, several quite different systems depending on which state you are heading for.  Your son will most likely be in year 3 until the end of the year bit depending on his birthdate and the state you are going to he could actually be in year 2 this year. The academic year goes from Jan to Dec not Sept to July. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunshinedawn said:

Hi he was born 8 April and we will be moving to Victoria

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

In that case he could well be in yr 2 this year. Cut off date for Victoria is 30 April and he would have to have turned 8 by 30 April this year to be in year 3 - which he has, by the skin of his teeth - but that will make him the youngest in the class so you might want to think about putting him into year 2 when you arrive.  It might be suggested to you because he will be so young. If he is big, sporty, self assured and academically competent he will probably be ok for yr 3 for the remainder of the year then yr 4 2018. Don't be surprised if they suggest year 2 though, it's where the bulk of his age peers will be.

Edited by Quoll

1 hour ago, benj1980 said:

That's interesting in WA, I know parents who have been discouraged to hold their children back. Not sure if this is just the culture of the area or a state policy.

When kids are within days of the cut off date as this young chap is, they look very carefully at the child to see if they are likely to cope socially and emotionally as well as academically.  I think some parents might have gone overboard a bit, holding kids back who aren't that close to cut off so I wouldn't be surprised if they were discouraged.  Last thing they want is a load of big boofy kids by the time they get to year 6 or year 12 and they're out of sync with the rest of the cohort physically, emotionally and behaviourally. 

Thanks everyone for your help, were not too sure when we're coming out but it will be later this year,. But as we're going to be provided with a house by my husband's company for 3 months I think I will keep him off until we find our own place to rent and start him in the new term after xmas. From the info given by quoll I think he will be in year 3 next year.

1 hour ago, sunshinedawn said:

Thanks everyone for your help, were not too sure when we're coming out but it will be later this year,. But as we're going to be provided with a house by my husband's company for 3 months I think I will keep him off until we find our own place to rent and start him in the new term after xmas. From the info given by quoll I think he will be in year 3 next year.

If you think he could cope being the youngest in the class you can say that's what you want. I just didn't want you to be surprised if they suggest the year below as technically he can be in the year above. Schools will look at the child to see how they may fit - you might be in a position with the school that he could be in a composite class to see where he "settles" with his mates and his skills - some schools have composite classes. If you're not comfortable with what they are recommending then you can go with your gut, you have the option for either year level.

My son's birthday is in January and other than him and a couple of mates with birthdays the week after his, he has always been the youngest in his year level.   Pretty much everyone whose birthday falls between mid January and the end of April waits until the following year to start school, particularly boys who really benefit from being that little bit older.  So when he started Grade 3, he had just turned 8 and turned 9 in the summer holidays before starting Grade 4.

As others have said, it's a completely different system over here.

• Like 1