Changing pounds into dollars

mel73

Hi, I will be selling my UK house shortly and then I will be faced with my next conundrum - changing currency. 

Can anyone recommend a company that gives good rates on exchange. I would be changing around 500k UK to dollars.

All answers appreciated!!

Moneycorp as people have said, Currencyfair and transfermate are others.

I used Halo (based in London) and found them very good, no fees and rates fairly close to the interbank rate.

With that amount, you may want to do it in a few transfers to try and get the best rates.  I know Halo allow you to pick a rate and if/when the market moves to your rate your orders gets executed.

Bet you are watching those rates like a hawk, every 1 cent move is worth $5000 to you.

Have you opened an AUD account to take the funds?  Can open one with any of the big 4 from the UK.  My preference is CBA for their excellant online/app banking.

Guest John from Moneycorp

Receiving expert guidance on the timing of your money transfer will be very important. There is a range of different ways to buy your currency which can help you maximise the amount of Australian dollars you receive. Based on the current market volatility this is where you will see the biggest benefit of our service. 

Happy to have a chat - feel free to private message me.

Guest The Pom Queen

It may also be worth mentioning it's a free fee transaction if you use moneycorp and are a forum member, also they will usually price match 

When we moved we were advised by our Financial advisor to set up accounts with several different Fx places then phone each one to see what rate they would give and play them off against each other.  With that amount to transfer you should be able to get a much better rate than the 'usual' rate.  In the end we only opened an account with Moneycorp but as we were transferring a large amount we were able to negotiate a better rate than they initially offered.

With that sort of sum rates and fees aren't really the issue as most companies will match other offers. It's down to who you feel safe with and what sort of service level you want re hedging and timing.  Online companies likeTransferwise you do it all yourself. When I moved my house proceeds I wanted a human I could talk to in the event it went wrong.

Edited by ScottieGirl