Why did you come to Australia? (In a sentence!)

MARYROSE02

When I went back the first time, after nearly five years, in 1983, I'd been reading about riots all over Britain, three million unemployed, long queues outside Australia House of people desperate to leave, but when I got there, everything was just as it was when I left in 1978.  I lived there from 1996 to 2008 and again, everything was OK. I even got used to the winter weather.  I've not been back since 2008 and I am thinking again, "Britain is in the ****" but I wouldn't bet on "third time unlucky" if and when I do go back.

I can understand that. Being away, for some time, the local news and commentary when seen from afar can be perceived as incendiary.

In my case, we lived through the Blair and Brown years into the Lib Dem/Tory coalition into Cameron and then the beginning of Theresa May's stint.

I worked in the public sector and the education sector and I saw and experienced the sea change and also the change in tone and attitude, as the recession and then austerity hit. IMHO, things were going sour around 2013/14 and was cemented with the 2015 election. I wasn't personally affected, but things did turn.

The growing restlessness and dissatisfaction with poor and middle classes being squeezed economically, Uni or school graduates not being able, to get a job because there were none, the gap between wealthy and poor getting worse etc. The NHS, doc strikes, tube strikes etc. Stories of misdeeds in NHS trusts etc, the shrill press getting worse. People losing pensions over night, bedroom tax etc.

The vitriol of the Brexit campaign side-show, Jo Cox's death and then all the goings on in the last six months.

There is no hell fire and brimstone as such, but there has been considerable change over the past 9-10 years.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

• Like 2

On 2017-6-22 at 14:14, Bobj said:

I went (by sea) in 1967 for a 6 month holiday. So disappointed that the UK had slipped further in the brown stuff that I came back to WA after only 1 month,(a rattle trap Boeing 707) and vowed never to go back again.

The forward bulkhead almost fell on me when we were in a storm west of Singapore. The Captain radioed through that we would be climbing to 45000ft in an effort to get over the storm...

Cheers, Bobj.

You said "No" to the "Summer of Love?!"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cornishlad said:

Cornish lads are miners, Cornish lads are fisherman too. When all the fish and tin are gone, what are Cornish lads to do?!

Love it, mate.

Definition of a mine; a Cornish man in a hole.

Odd, have worked in tin exploration and mining, yet to see a Cornish lad...biggrin.png

Cheers, Bobj.

35 minutes ago, cornishlad said:

Cornish lads are miners, Cornish lads are fisherman too. When all the fish and tin are gone, what are Cornish lads to do?!

Make pasties! However I have come across drainage works here in Brisbane which was done by Cornish miners back in the Victorian era............brave men without a doubt I applaud them:notworthy:

PS those guys can wriggle in to the smallest cavity........rat up a drain pipe comes to mind, (won't mention the ladies here hey!)