Benefits available to Permanent Residents

Buyer71

Hi,

My wife arrives in Australia in July on a 100 permanent resident visa and we hope for her to find work shortly on arrival. After looking on the human services website I noticed that the new start allowance was open to permanent residents and found that it is subject to evidence of unemployment. residency and asset test. This doe seem odd to me considering so many other social benefits are extremely restricted for permanent residents such as access to Uni loans?

Does anyone here know if my wife would be able to access new start allowance funding whilst she looks for work on arrival in Australia with a 100 visa provided we met the normal criteria.  

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, blossom said:

I've never noticed anyone say they could get newstart on the 100 visa. 

You can claim some benefits. Parenting payment, rent assistance, family tax benefit, paid parental leave can all be claimed straight away if eligible. 

Agreed. Some benefits, mainly those which affect kids, are allowed at once, but I don't think newstart is one of those.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, blossom said:

I've never noticed anyone say they could get newstart on the 100 visa. 

You can claim some benefits. Parenting payment, rent assistance, family tax benefit, paid parental leave can all be claimed straight away if eligible. 

Yes a person whose visa was activated before 1st January 2017 is eligible for Newstart.(and still is amendment applied from 1st January)

Centerlink were confused and their own webpages were only updated on 31st May to clarify that there was an amendment to the Social services act. Before that it stated (wrongly) that a subclass 100 visa holder was exempt from the New Arrival Resident Waiting Period NARWP It wasn't so much the financial payout I was inquiring about, (although I would be lying if I didn't say that would be useful) more the assistance to find work as any jobs I have applied for ... ever had a set application, whereas here you are required to submit a resume and attach a cover letter. I had never wrote a cover letter in my life before.

34 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Agreed. Some benefits, mainly those which affect kids, are allowed at once, but I don't think newstart is one of those.

Hi from digging around and asking around the rules were changed from the 1st January although people in Centerlink and a few other places were not too sure I arrived at the beginning of May and the "help" pages that Centerlink sent you to to check then still had the old statement in around about legal way that a subclass 100 visa holder was exempt from the 2 year sorry 104 week waiting period they then updated their web pages on 31st May

My partner has recently come off newstart. The 'help' was an absolute joke. You have to turn up once every two weeks and they haven't got a clue how to help.  They never gave him any help with cvs or cover letters. He ended up finding work on his own but they made him fill in forms so they get a bonus for finding him work. They are lucky it wasn't me as I'd be refusing.