What to bring...such a conundrum!

ScottishMatilda

Just thinking about all the items we need day to day in the kitchen and elsewhere and wondering what people have done. We plan to ship the big items i.e. food processor, casserole dishes, pots pans etc. However, thinking it would be best to buy things like plates, glasses, knives and forks etc. when we arrive. I just can't seem to get my head around what we need to ship or not. Pots you would need right away but don't want to leave ours behind as they are good ones, bought for our wedding. Maybe some helpful organised person can advise? 

The one thing I insisted shopping everything from was the kitchen. No way was I starting over from garlic press to mixer, serving spoons to chop sticks. I shipped the lot. I love my crockery and coffee mugs collected over the years and cutlery was good quality stuff. Same with pans, cake tins, bowls and more. So it all shipped.

When we first arrived I hit IKEA and Target and got some outdoor stuff (plastic) and used that indoors as dinner plates etc. Set of cutlery from Ikea we now use as outdoor and picnic set and also a cheap toaster and a couple of cheap pans and made do.  A sharp knife, chopping board and one or two other things also acquired but for the rest we held off and glad I did.

I find kitchen ware a really hard thing to replace as I have specific likes/dislikes and so wouldn't just got buy it all new in a week or replace good stuff with a random purchase, it took time to build up and collect and I value it. 

bring your good stuff and leave cheap stuff, or even put cheap stuff to the side if there's room. cheap kettles, toasters, knives and forks are the same price here as in uk. if youve got nice denby set ect bring those as you cant buy denby. ive found theres not a mega difference in price for white goods and the fridge freezers look nicer and cheaper than the one i bought in uk. plus theres the potential for it to get damaged i transit. 

if you can flat pack sideboards, darwers ect then do, as they push them onto two legs to wrap and they get damaged, also they will have a lot of weight from all the other boxes piled ontop of them.

I am in exactly the same, I could spend hours racking my brain. We have a large picnic rucksak which has plastic plates, knives & forks, cups etc, going to fill it even more with spatula, tin opener and regularly used stuff and important things like CORK SCREW!! :D

Yes it is very hard, I have made lists upon lists!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Unless you want to spend lots of time shopping for basic kitchen items (not to mention figuring out which shops sell what) I would recommend just shipping everything.

If you're already paying for a packing service with your shipping company the cost difference of bringing everything from the kitchen vs some things will be negligible, or zero.

Rationally, If you haven't used it in the last 6 months don't bother with it. Wedding present stuff - if you still like it and use it then take it. If your tastes have changed or it's not as useful as it once was then leave it - either store, sell or donate. 

I've really enjoyed the liberation of starting afresh (arrived with a backpack) and though our stuff is all still in our house in Australia, on the few visits we've had we have chucked a load of stuff and look forward to chucking a load more! Our wedding present plates etc will be going - styles have changed in 44 years and Denby no longer appeals LOL. The one thing I did miss was my lemon zester but as I only use it once a year I made do.

However if you're paying to ship a load of stuff anyway and it'll fit, chuck it in.

On 21/05/2017 at 01:38, adele244 said:

I am in exactly the same, I could spend hours racking my brain. We have a large picnic rucksak which has plastic plates, knives & forks, cups etc, going to fill it even more with spatula, tin opener and regularly used stuff and important things like CORK SCREW!! :D

Yes it is very hard, I have made lists upon lists!!!!!

Most wine these days is screw top :) Even the good stuff can often be screw top. We've not used a corkscrew in years to open a bottle :D

57 minutes ago, snifter said:

Most wine these days is screw top :) Even the good stuff can often be screw top. We've not used a corkscrew in years to open a bottle :D

The Aussie bottles are screw top but the Europeans still have corks, and a damned nuisance they are too! I don't think we've got a corkscrew any more either but I've had to buy one as people here give us wine and we are left with all the French Red that was too much of a pain to open!

10 hours ago, Quoll said:

The Aussie bottles are screw top but the Europeans still have corks, and a damned nuisance they are too! I don't think we've got a corkscrew any more either but I've had to buy one as people here give us wine and we are left with all the French Red that was too much of a pain to open!

We have 5! Five! in the drawer in the kitchen. not counting the however many we got rid of before we left the Uk. FIVE!

• Like 1

We didnt bring much kitchen wise and its quite cheap to buy plates, cutlery etc here at the likes of K mart, Big W and Target. 

They sell kitchen starter kits like this one in the link and the set costs about $40.. I know of a few familys who bought these on arrival and found them good value - https://www.bigw.com.au/product/smart-value-40-piece-kitchen-combo-set/p/WCC100000000008463/

for $80 you can pick up something like this - http://www.kmart.com.au/product/80-piece-kitchen-starter-set/100600

Cal x

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...