Dog relocation

paulswin

Guest The Pom Queen

You have Jet Pets and Dog Tainers if you want to get a quote from them and let me know what it is, I have a friend who does pet shipping as well. 

Also, it isn't necessarily a good idea to be on the same flight. Depending on where they transit through, there can be a wait. For example Dubai insists on dogs staying in their reception centre for 3-4 hours when transiting. Then they can have a six hour wait once in the UK to be processed. Hence, we put ours on an earlier flight on the same day. 

• Like 1

I used Jetpets who were great.  I  also recommend not getting the same flight. It now takes 6 to 8 hours for dogs coming from outside the EU to clear customs and that is after they have made it back to the ARC.

The ARC is where you pick them up from. I am told the animal facilities are great but the human waiting area leaves a lot to be desired. It is in the middle of an industrial estate with nothing to do nearby and nowhere to get something to eat or drink.The reception area is small, with limited seating and 2 vending machines for crisps and drinks. Not the sort of  place you want to sit in after a long flight. I picked my dogs up two days after I flew in.

• Like 1

I used Jetpets who were great.  I  also recommend not getting the same flight. It now takes 6 to 8 hours for dogs coming from outside the EU to clear customs and that is after they have made it back to the ARC.
The ARC is where you pick them up from. I am told the animal facilities are great but the human waiting area leaves a lot to be desired. It is in the middle of an industrial estate with nothing to do nearby and nowhere to get something to eat or drink.The reception area is small, with limited seating and 2 vending machines for crisps and drinks. Not the sort of  place you want to sit in after a long flight. I picked my dogs up two days after I flew in.

Our dog was ready at Manchester 90 minutes after our flight landed. Just enough time for us to collect our luggage and car and make our way there. We used Dogtainers. They have to have a minimum stop over in Dubai of around 7 hours I believe. Our dog flew on the morning flight from Perth one day and we followed the next day, all getting on the same flight into Manchester from Dubai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @paulswin @ScottieGirl @Martinbjulieb @The Pom Queen

I've just started the process in earnest and have contacted JetPets first.  The young guy was friendly but too be honest was more sales orientated and I've got a dozen (and then some) more questions.  They fly Emirates (ex Perth) and the stop over is 4hrs in Dubai.  He was trying to talk me into the 20hr stop over so they would arrive in early hours to avoid the heat.  But he'd already explained the stop over process that Dubai Kennels & Cattery arrive with their van at the plane and they're lifted onto van and taken to holding facility where their absorbent sheets are changed over and water given (I assume they don't feed as they don't want issues or allergic / unforeseen reactions).

Then they're taken back to plane and loaded up for final leg.  JetPets said they're across the new process and it takes 2 to 4hrs for them to get through customs - I didn't really believe this and think it was sales talk or things have genuinely improved from the 6hours I've read here.  Either way I will be grilling them more as I'd rather have the truth so we can prepare and plan.

I got quoted for 2 cats in separate crates $3,480 from Perth to Manchester or $3,355 for one crate.   I would have thought one crate (whilst slightly bigger) would be cheaper - but then there's nothing in it for them.  Now we've decided to stick with Heathrow as too long a drive from Manchester we need new quotes and will get one direct through Chess and Dogtainers.  This quote was also for us to drop cats to them - which I'd prefer as they will be so stressed - will get more prices to cover both options in case things change at our end and we can do this drop off.  JetPets did say Heathrow will cost more so will report back.

Plus I think I'll try one of the smaller companies.

At the minute the flights for us are nearly half through Qatar Airways over Emirates so may consider this as money is extremely tight and any savings we can make we're going to have to take.

Thanks Sue

Edited by suesmalls

The first thing is that you don't have t be on the same flight or even the same airline.

We flew Qatar as they were cheapest and actually a pretty decent flight. The dog flew Emirates. The reason being is you don't want to arrive at the same time, as they have a fairly significant wait at Heathrow.

We liked that he would have some time in Dubai to stretch his legs for 4 hours, which was the main reason we chose Emirates. They then have a number of hours at the ARC while paperwork is cleared. For us, we have family in west London, so I picked up my wife from the airport, we went to see family and have a meal and relax and you can phone the ARC and they will advise what time they think they will clear. If you haven't got that family, then consider getting a later flight than your cats so you aren't waiting around for a long time to pick them up, if you are on the same or a similar timed flight, you could be there for pretty much an entire day (4 hours in Dubai and 3-4 hours at the ARC).

Dogtainers by the way were excellent.

• Like 2

Hi @suesmalls

My dogs flew into Heathrow 10 days aftafter the customs changes. I had to wait almost 6 hours and it was quite chaotic but the problem was with customs not the transport company. I imagine they have got used to the new process and it is quicker now but whichever  company you use as long as they get the paperwork right the wait will be the same. In short don't choose a company based on the wait at Heathrow but do time your flights assuming there will be.

You can ring the ARC, they are open 24 hours and ask how long they are now taking

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/animal-health-welfare/heathrow-animal-reception-centre/Pages/default.aspx#maincontent

Jetpets use JCS livestock to do the clearance at Heathrow so you could also contact them

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1

Thanks @Martinbjulieb and @ScottieGirl

Appreciate the updates and advice - I haven't had chance to call Dogtainers today - I'm getting a bit behind and need to get cracking.  I'm sure at 3am tonight I'll wake and remember everything I should have done and haven't.

We definitely think we'll try and go the Emirates route with the Cats and in a crate together.  Just got my updated quote from JetPets from Perth to Manchester $3,800.

My Chess quote just came in and it's about $500 more than I thought at the high end of our estimate and doesn't include insurance. bummed.  But I'm sure they'll do good job, hope we can get it down some.

Stay tuned x

I totally recommend Dogtainers. We just had our Dog and Cat sent from Brisbane to Heathrow, arrived Friday.

They provided an excellent service, professional but caring. At no point did they make us feel we were a nuisance when we were asking questions they would have answered a hundred times. Just make sure your pets paperwork is correct. There was some confusion at the UK end due to the Aussie Governement Vet putting the wrong date for when the Pets had their microchip's put in. It didn't stop them coming into the country but caused a bit of panic for a while. This was nothing to do with Dogtainers though.

Lovely company to deal with.

• Like 2

Dear Sue and for anyone else stressing over sending their Pets to the UK, they'll be fine. We sent our Dog and Cat over last Thursday. The stress we had worrying about how they would handle the trip was unbelievable but when I picked them up at the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow on Friday, they were no worse for wear. Of course, it's an unpleasant trip and they weren't themselves to begin with but a couple of hours later they settled down and all was fine.Though I still find it hard to think about how uncomfortable they were on the journey over but they are fine now and no harm done. My Cat's 13 and Dog, 5, btw.

We're nearly at our the end of our ordeal moving back to the UK. I cannot underestimate the stress and expense of moving back home. Make sure you have weighed up the reasons for returning!!

For me, despite the stress and worry and knowing it won't all be sunshine and roses, I'm home. It feels like home and it smells like home and despite the crappy news lately, I'm bloody glad I'm home!!!

There are problems ahead, I know. My kids only know Australia, despite being born in the UK but it's important to me for them to get to know their homeland and to decide where they want to live. The odds don't look good for Britain right now but time will tell. This is still a great country and has a few surprises yet. Us Brits work best under pressure!!

Good luck to you all making the move back home.

• Like 3

Thanks @Rainman

Appreciate the update and details - I've been rereading posts of late and what you've said is what my husband keeps telling me and what I've read on Google sites when trying to research.  We are the ones who are working ourselves up (as we know what's going on).

Paid my deposit with Dogtainers today.   My cat is also 13yrs with hyperthyroidism (which is under control), my other cat is 10yrs.

The expense of moving is quite significant - even if you have ball park figures for container, flights, pets, it's other items and details that start to add up.  I know for sure this is going to get more stressful and more unexpected costs to come.

I only know Australia and making the move in reverse from most persons on this forum - moving to England for the first time at 48yrs age.

But I've got my family with me - husband and 2 cats and we're moving to family; which we don't have here.

I've been brought up by hard working English parents so not afraid to get stuck in. 

We've decided to drive our cats to the international airport rather than get them picked up - as that's over an hour ride and we feel they'll be better with us.  That is going to be a stressful day - will be putting on a brave face that day.

• Like 1