New customs process - submit your ToR for UK shipments and pets at least 3 weeks before you move

ScottieGirl

I've just been through the ball ache of scanning documents in for emailing. I wrote the email and sent it but within a minute it bounced back. Apparently my email was too big. So...
Rescan everything at the lowest dpi resolution possible and try again.... 25 more wasted minutes and it seems to be ok this time.
Tip for others is use crappiest scans you can and it's their problem if they can't read them!!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, suesmalls said:

Hi @Gareth 666

I'm just about to start this process so thanks for the heads up - what stage are you at?  We've just got quotes in from shipping but we need to move by 26 July (that is we're flying then to England).  We get packed up around 11 July.

Thanks

Get on with it Sue. You have all the info you need now.It's a tedious process but it has to be done and if you delay you risk having to pay vat to get your cats back if you don't get your number in time. It's  school hols shortly and that will slow things down as everyone takes their 2 weeks in the sun.

It took me several days to do, as you can't save the online form as you I ended up doing a dummy run to figure out all the documentation I needed then had to collate and scan it all before doing it live.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suesmalls said:

Hi @ScottieGirl

yes you're right - I've set aside tomorrow morning for this and will be doing the reading and then the actioning - hopefully have most of the process sorted and will be calling Chess when needed.  Appreciate the advice :jiggy:

The key thing to remember is it's a one size fits all form for anyone moving to the UK. As long as you can prove you are British citizens and have been out of the U K for more than 12 months you qualify. Don't panic about jobs or reasons  for moving back and move dates can be estimates  they don't have to be exact. Use a friend or families address, it doesn't have to be permanent.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Hi,

I sent my first email and it bounced within a minute due to the attachments being too big. I fired email number 2 a bit later after re-scanning documents at lower DPI and it I got no immediate bounce back or any reply. That was Tuesday and I've had no official response to say received. Has anyone else had no reply and then got the TOR or do I need to chase them up?

Ta

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gareth 666 said:

Hi,

I sent my first email and it bounced within a minute due to the attachments being too big. I fired email number 2 a bit later after re-scanning documents at lower DPI and it I got no immediate bounce back or any reply. That was Tuesday and I've had no official response to say received. Has anyone else had no reply and then got the TOR or do I need to chase them up?

Ta

I got an automatic system generated reply within minutes of sending. You need to either resend or phone them. Without the confirmation email you have no proof you have sent it which the shipping agents require.

Imagine you are hitting your head in frustration af this point..... 

• Like 2

Thanks @ScottieGirl

I've completed form and just getting together the attachments - did you provide the purchase agreement for your Australia home or sale document (offer & acceptance).  17yrs since we bought the house and I can't think exactly where it is - got the offer and acceptance document here with me at work.

Pets - what proof did you attach to your TOR form?  I've paid my deposit, got rabies certificate - but I don't have a pet passport?  Got confirmation by email from Dogtainers of the flight (have printed this) along with rabies certificates.

Appreciate your assistance.

@suesmalls

For the dogs I used their council registration. I imagine rabies certs will do as they have the microchip number. For the house I used the title deed, I had paid off the mortgage and not kept any of the documentation from when I bought it. I also provided an employers letter stating years of service to prove I had been in Aus for more than 1 year. Any official documentation that shows you have been living in Aus for over a year should do. 

• Like 1

I got an automatic system generated reply within minutes of sending. You need to either resend or phone them. Without the confirmation email you have no proof you have sent it which the shipping agents require.
Imagine you are hitting your head in frustration af this point..... 

Thanks for your help. I've just re-submitted the application to the alternative email address being posted. I've received an almost instant receipt email. Hopefully happy days!!
  • Like 1

Hi @Gareth 666

Which email address did you use? I've completed mine but didn't have a supporting document with me at work so I'm emailing it all tomorrow. 

Our pack up days are 11 & 12 July. We go 26 July. Not due what day the actual goods get shipped.  But we can't ship until TOR number sent back.  

Thanks

Hi [mention=226422]Gareth 666[/mention]
Which email address did you use? I've completed mine but didn't have a supporting document with me at work so I'm emailing it all tomorrow. 
Our pack up days are 11 & 12 July. We go 26 July. Not due what day the actual goods get shipped.  But we can't ship until TOR number sent back.  
Thanks

Hi I used nch@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk.
  • Like 1

Hi @ScottieGirl @Gareth 666

I just used the other email address - nch@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

and got email back within 30 seconds as per below - I've deleted email address from below message - does this look similar to what you got?

Why does form quote an email address if quota is full?

noreply.NCH@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk via mail2.bemta5.messagelabs.com 

11:51 (0 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
HMRC acknowledge receipt of your email.

Air/Exports attract a two hour clearance time.

Maritime entries attract a three hour clearance time unless they are received after 15.00 these will be cleared by 08.00 the following day.

If you do not receive a response within the timescales above please call the National Clearance Hub enquiry line on:

Imports - 03000 588454 (Inactive after 18.00)

Exports/Out of Hours - 03000 588401

• Like 1

Thanks @ScottieGirl

Appreciate the confirmation it's the same response you got. 

They totally underestimated the work load.  But why not update the email address or provide alternative. Grrr

I guess they know people will decide to wait or pay the VAT & claim back.  A frustrating process when the email bounces straight back with that quota is full message. 

• Like 1

Hi all

Just thought I would tell my experience with this. I left Oz on 27 April and sent a medium size move cube with Sevenseas think it left Oz beginning of May, all standard personal effects no furniture, pets or cars. 

Arrived & totally forgot about doing this got a email off sevenseas asking for my TOR code, opps. So went to the library in UK scanners down so ended up doing on line printing and then posting by registered post to HMRC with it arriving on 29 May. 3 Weeks later got my unique code emailed to me from HMRC sent email to Sevenseas & all sorted. Just as well as my ship docks tomorrow. 

Fingers crossed everything else goes smoothly 

• Like 1

Hi [mention=226422]Gareth 666[/mention]
That email address is different to the one quoted on the TOR form?  I just got below message bounced back
nch.tor@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.
is that what happened to you?

Hi,
Yes it's a different email, I tried the one on the form, first attempt bounced due to file size being too big and second attempt seemed to send but no acknowledgement of receipt email came back. It was after I read this thread that I found the this second email address posted and tried that. That's when I got the reply to say it's been received.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...