New customs process - submit your ToR for UK shipments and pets at least 3 weeks before you move

ScottieGirl

HMRC has introduced a spiffy new process for shipments going to the UK. You now have to fill in a ToR form online and get a ToR reference number. Currently processing times are 2-3 weeks, mine took 9 working days.

It applies to pets and cars as well as shipping containments. If you don’t complete it you will have to pay VAT on your goods, which I understand can be claimed back if you fill the form in retrospectively but 17.5% is a lot of dosh on even the smallest consignment to loan to her Majesty’s govt.

The link to the form is www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-transfer-of-residence-tor-relief-tor01

Do not post it as per the website email it to  nch@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

The form cannot be saved online best thing to do is complete a dummy application it work out what documentation you need then complete the form once you have all the documents scanned.

Tips:

Don’t worry about EU registration documents – a copy of your British passport will suffice

Don’t worry if you don’t have a job to go to. I don’t and I got approval

You will need a UK address but it doesn’t have to be a permanent one. I used my mums.

For my dogs I used their council registration as proof of ownership

There is a helpline but it is hard to get through, the number only operates 8am – 8pm. There does not appear to be any queuing system if it is busy you get an odd recorded message, I thought the number was wrong but it isn’t.

+ 44 3000 588454

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We applied for this in order to move our pet dog, we were rejected as we didn't include a packing list of our household items, even though I explained that we were not moving any items apart from the dog.  So it seems I now have to ship some items back to the UK that I was intending to give away, just so that I can get a TOR reference number :S:S

Just going through this now,  cannot believe this stuff, here is some of what you need

Please send the completed form to:
HM Revenue and Customs National Clearance Hub Ralli Quays 3 Stanley Street SALFORD M60 9LA
Enclosures
The following documents should be enclosed with your application:
• a copy of your passport, including your visa if necessary
• proof of registration this document should show you've taken up residence in the UK or another country of the European Union (EU), and the date on which you did so. You may also send some other, comparable document which provides reasonable evidence for this purpose
• two signed lists of goods State the goods you wish to import on this list
• invoices, proofs of guarantee etc. for the goods you wish to import (commercial documents)
Enclose copies of any documents which show you're going to live in the EU, for example:
• your employment contract
• your employer’s statement
• your work permit
• your tenancy or purchase agreement for the home you plan to live in
Print this form
Click the 'Preview' button to create a copy for you to print and post. Please ensure that you check your form carefully before you click 'Preview'. If you make any changes afterwards, you must click 'Preview' again to create a new copy with the changes included.

Wonder what they mean by proof of registration???
Also we have no home to go to in the uk, nor a job
I wonder if they want invoices for everything we have ever bought?
  • Like 1

Hi Steve, don't panic!! We printed the forms off and then scanned and emailed. We emailed everything through on the email address stated by OP. We attached copies of our passports, planning permission from our shire when we built our house (because that was all the evidence we had of owning a house, other than getting official copies from Landgate) We used my parents address and chose "other" where we did not fit the criteria- i.e. Employment etc and just stated that were would be seeking employment on arrival. Selecting "other" on the questions then gave us space to write things. If you have a quote from a removal company where they list roughly what you are taking use that instead of the packing list they request, we did and it was fine. As the number they provide has to be supplied to your removal company PRIOR to packing they can hardly expect you to have an inventory anyway. Good luck and PM me if you have specific questions. Julie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Martinbjulieb said:

Hi Steve, don't panic!! We printed the forms off and then scanned and emailed. We emailed everything through on the email address stated by OP. We attached copies of our passports, planning permission from our shire when we built our house (because that was all the evidence we had of owning a house, other than getting official copies from Landgate) We used my parents address and chose "other" where we did not fit the criteria- i.e. Employment etc and just stated that were would be seeking employment on arrival. Selecting "other" on the questions then gave us space to write things. If you have a quote from a removal company where they list roughly what you are taking use that instead of the packing list they request, we did and it was fine. As the number they provide has to be supplied to your removal company PRIOR to packing they can hardly expect you to have an inventory anyway. Good luck and PM me if you have specific questions. Julie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks for that, will be sending it off today sometime.   Seems they, like most bureaucracy have a one-size-fits all view of the world.

• Like 1

The form is intended for anyone of any nationality moving to the UK  to live from outside the EU. You have to prove that you have right to live in the UK, for a UK citizen all you need is a copy of your passport. You do not need EU registration documents, or details of your employer in the UK. However the guidelines do not mention that at all. To avoid paying VAT you need to prove you have lived outside the UK for at least 12 months. The guidelines asked for proof of your overseas residence - the purchase contract for house owners. Who the hell keeps that??? I  got a letter from my Australian  employer stating how long I had worked there and that was fine.

They prefer removers inventories - not sure why. I used the one from the quote.

@SimonK surely you must be taking a case of clothes back? List those.  My pet transport company (JetPets) told me if the ToR number did not arrive in time that the dogs would still fly but I would be charged VAT which I could claim back once I had a ToR number.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, trying to complete this as my shipping went with Movecube on Wednesday 12/4. How do you print the forms off via the OP link above? I opened the link to complete the postal version & could not go any further than page 2?

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong its driving me mad.........

Thanks for the reply.

I filled in page 1 fine then because I did not complete the new employee details (I am a returning UK citizen), I do not have a job to return too but I do have a home address that I will be using. I could not progress from page 2, just want to print it off to complete.

You need an inventory to complete it, HMRC like the one from removalists and you will get one with the quote so use that. It is currently taking about 3 weeks to process so do it as soon as you have the quote. You also need to declare any pets. They can fly without the ToR number but you will have to pay VAT when you pick them up then claim it back.

Best to do it as soon as you can and don't panic about the questions.  It is a one size fits all form to be used by non UK citizens as well. 

• Like 1

Thanks Scottie Girl!

Can anyone confirm whether you get a code for your pet and another code for your belongings? Or just one code for both?

Can your belongings be shipped without the code (and hopefully it arrives in the 12 weeks the stuff is on the water lol)??

Resigned to the fact its not going to be here by the time the cat goes and will have to pay VAT which is apparently around 200 quid (god knows how they calculate the value of the cat, he's a rescue cat and was free haha)

Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sophie Cilliers said:

Thanks Scottie Girl!

Can anyone confirm whether you get a code for your pet and another code for your belongings? Or just one code for both?

Can your belongings be shipped without the code (and hopefully it arrives in the 12 weeks the stuff is on the water lol)??

Resigned to the fact its not going to be here by the time the cat goes and will have to pay VAT which is apparently around 200 quid (god knows how they calculate the value of the cat, he's a rescue cat and was free haha)

Thanks! 

It's just one code for both (at least it was for me).  I got my code via email after about 25 days. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, did you use an official inventory list, or just the initial quote from the shippers?

And was the date of arrival of your belongings an 'actual' or an 'estimate'?

Lastly, I've seen 2 different email addresses to which to send the application (I've sent to both so here's hoping lol) which did you use?

nch@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk   OR  

nch.tor@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sophie Cilliers said:

Thanks Simon, did you use an official inventory list, or just the initial quote from the shippers?

Lastly, I've seen 2 different email addresses to which to send the application (I've sent to both so here's hoping lol) which did you use?

nch@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk   OR  

nch.tor@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

I used the first email and the initial quote. The date for arrival has to be an estimate. Goods can be shipped without the code but it is at the discretion of the shipping company. The one I used asked for the email from HMRC as proof I had applied for it.

Customs have minimum values for cats and dogs that they charge. I think it is 300 GBP for a dog which is 60 GBP vat. Few pets will be worth that unless they  are youngsters but it doesn't matter as you can claim it back once you get tbe ToR number.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sophie Cilliers said:

nch@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk   OR  

nch.tor@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

Neither I just made up a list in Excel and printed it.  Why would they care if you think about it, every worldwide shipper has their own quotation form.   Goods can be shipped without the code and you have a specified amount of time to claim it back after landing.   The dates are just an estimate. 

The email address is:  nch.tor@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk  This is the one they confirmed to me in the approval email.

"

National Clearance HUB

All replies must be forwarded directly to nch.tor@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

"

• Like 1