Moving back advise

kevinanderson2

So after nearly 4 years in Brisbane we have realized that we are not living the dream and are only surviving here. We have sold up and are heading back to London in 3 weeks. Luckily we attended the ceremony and received our Citizenship last night.

Before we leave i have a few queries that some of you might be able help with.

We need to apply for Aus passports but as our money is all tide up with the move at the moment (flights, containers, car hire etc) we dont have the spare cash at this moment to fork out for the whole families passports. Is it ok to just leave on our British passports and apply for Oz passports in UK?

Last night we signed on to the voters roll, do we need to notify them of a UK address once we have settled?

Do we notify all the government departments (Drivers licence, medicare, ATO etc) that we no longer live here. Do they accept foreign address if i change them online?

Thanks

Technically it is a legal requirement that you leave on an Oz passport and may get an issue if you don't as your British passports won't show any visa. Though I doubt it will physically stop you, but likely to cause a delay at immigration.

I didnt bother notifying anyone about leaving other than the ATO and I did that via my tax return in the July after leaving.

We had a friend just left on his British passport as his Aussie one was in transit

He was held up in Adelaide and Sydney and eventual allowed to fly but he said it took some time ( he lives in OZ works in UK )

Your supposed to register for a postal vote when OS too plus we heard of someone who because they were in the UK had a warrant issued as he did not turn up for jury duty ! Think the easy way is to tell as many authorities as you can your leaving keeps things sweet so to speak

We had a friend just left on his British passport as his Aussie one was in transit

He was held up in Adelaide and Sydney and eventual allowed to fly but he said it took some time ( he lives in OZ works in UK )

Your supposed to register for a postal vote when OS too plus we heard of someone who because they were in the UK had a warrant issued as he did not turn up for jury duty ! Think the easy way is to tell as many authorities as you can your leaving keeps things sweet so to speak

leave on the valid travel document that works, enter on the valid travel document that works. They do not need to be the same document.

Postal vote deregistration can be done online, you can't predict when the councils have their elections, we got fined I think it was 60aud for not voting in a adelaide council election, which went up to 128 and then updated to some silly number a few months later, since we'd moved it took time for this paper to be redirected. I sorted it out online - not in country nothing to pay.....

issuing warrants/fines for people who are unable to be there for these petty local elections or jury duty for people who are not in the country is simply a waste of resource and time.

besides being jurisdictionally unenforceable, they only serve to revenue harvest and clog the local gov AU machinery , which is the reason I suppose , now that I think of it.....

leave on the valid travel document that works, enter on the valid travel document that works. They do not need to be the same document.

Postal vote deregistration can be done online, you can't predict when the councils have their elections, we got fined I think it was 60aud for not voting in a adelaide council election, which went up to 128 and then updated to some silly number a few months later, since we'd moved it took time for this paper to be redirected. I sorted it out online - not in country nothing to pay.....

issuing warrants/fines for people who are unable to be there for these petty local elections or jury duty for people who are not in the country is simply a waste of resource and time.

besides being jurisdictionally unenforceable, they only serve to revenue harvest and clog the local gov AU machinery , which is the reason I suppose , now that I think of it.....

Our friend is Aussie resident so really should have had his Aussie passport to leave but he forgot lol

the friend who had the warrant issued for his arrest actually almost got arrested when he came back to Oz on holiday as the warrant was outstanding Luckily he sorted it out but I suppose and it's what I was trying to say is try to sort it out prior to leaving Justin Case you ever want to come back even if only for a holiday

Archived