Wanting to migrate to Australia

Hi all.

First post here - stumbled across this site whilst looking for immigration advice websites. I'm 26 years old and British. Have several immediate family members living in Perth WA who have citizenship. In the UK I'm in the Police and I'm aware that WA Police presently, and haven't been for a good few years doing international recruiting. I'm single which unfortunately from my research does not go in my favour in that a partner may have a job on the skills list. I always thought having family in Oz would enable me to get sponsorship but only once researching did I find it's of no benefit. I've been to Perth on several occasions, I actually only returned on Sunday. I want to emigrate to watch my family grow up and my brother and Sisters. Realising the Police isn't really an option I've began considering career alternatives and possibly attending college to gain some formal qualifications which could aid me getting into Australia. I noted that on the list of jobs at present is Drug and Alcohol Counsellor. I was wondering if anyone could direct me would this require degree qualifications? Does it require work experience or sponsorship? I've found a local course that I can do to get a qualification specifically in this area that I can do aside 24-7 shift work but don't want to do it if it won't benefit. Ultimately I'm looking for some guidance on what best would get me into Australia (WA).

Thanks again!

From the VETASSESS website:

[h=3]Drug and Alcohol Counsellor (ANZSCO Code 272112)[/h]This occupation requires a qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If the qualification(s) are not at the required educational level, or if the employment has been completed prior to the qualification, then the employment will be assessed below the required skill level.

In addition to the above, be aware of the idea of re training longer term for something may qualify as the occupation lists change regularly and even what were once considered very safe occupations such as medical doctors may be removed.

However, bearing this in mind, it may be worth a chat with a good migration agent to see if there is a long term strategy.

Hi

I have had a look your right it can be difficult but not impossible there is plenty of recruitment going on also the prison service.

Skip to main content » logo.png

Site Map | Accessibility | Contact Us

Search Search

Go to whole of WA Government Search »

Show navigation Hide navigation

Join the WA Police as a New Recruit or

Apply Now

Home / Join WA Police / Recruit

Join WA Police

• 64Z4353.jpgRecruit

Recruit

[h=1]Recruit[/h]Joining the WA Police as a Recruit is an exciting, life-changing decision. If you’ve got enthusiasm, a strong work ethic and a passion for protecting your community, you’re all set for a highly challenging and incredibly rewarding career.

• Am I eligible?
  • What are we looking for?
  • Steps to become a Police Officer

[h=2]Am I eligible to apply?[/h]To apply, you must meet the following prerequisites:

You must be an

Australian or New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Australian Resident

You must hold a

current manual 'C' class Motor Driver's Licence or equivalent*

You must be

at least 18 years of age

* Provisional licences are acceptable, with no more than eight demerit points at the time of application.

Next: What's WA Police looking for? Apply Now

[h=2]What are we looking for?[/h]We are looking for a well-rounded individual who is physically capable, psychologically resilient and can meet the 5 essential criteria for a Police Officer, which include:

Analytical, comprehension and problem-solving skills

Adaptability and judgement

Communication and interpersonal skills

Personal drive and integrity

Team work

Next: Steps to become a Police Officer Apply Now

[h=2]Pathway steps[/h]These are the steps it takes to become an officer in the WA Police:

ApplicationTakes about 9 weeks to hear back.

SelectionApproximately 3-4 months of intense testing & interviews.

Training28-week course at the WA Police Academy in Joondalup.

ProbationSuccessful graduates enter an 18 month probation period.

Next: Learn about the Application Apply Now

[h=2]Information Sessions[/h]

Learn more about your pathway to become a WA Police Officer, why not attend an information session?

session-time.png4:30pm - Thursday 9 March 2017

session-location.png WA Police AcademyBookings now closed

session-time.png4:30pm - Thursday 6 April 2017

session-location.png WA Police AcademyBookings now available

All Information Sessions

employHomeBanner.gif

• 1316.jpg
  • 1319.jpg
  • 1321.jpg
  • 1322.jpg
  • 1392.jpg
  • 1393.jpg
  • 1394.jpg
  • 1395.jpg
  • 1396.jpg
  • 1397.jpg
  • 1398.jpg
  • 1399.jpg
  • 1400.jpg
  • 1401.jpg
  • 1402.jpg
  • 1403.jpg
  • 1404.jpg
  • 1405.jpg
  • 1406.jpg
  • 1408.jpg
  • 1409.jpg

Search our site

1429.jpg

Employment Opportunities >

[h=1]Current Vacancies[/h]Trainee Correctional Officers - All South Australian Prisons

(Metropolitan and Regional)

(More than one position)

Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged to apply.

Download Information and Application here

There is no closing date for Trainee Correctional Officer applications. We continually recruit throughout the year.

[h=2]Advisor, Compliance, ASO5 - Adelaide CBD (ongoing)[/h][h=3]Vacancy No. 2017-18225[/h]http://jobs.sa.gov.au

Applications close: 5:00pm Tuesday 14th March 2017

_doc.gif Job and Person Specification

_doc.gif Vacancy Essential Details

_doc.gif Advice to Applicants

_pdf.gif Employment Declaration

[h=2][/h]

Many thanks for the replies - it's appreciated. It is extremely frustrating for me at the moment, almost feel like banging my head against a wall!

I completely understand advice that I could train for a role that eventually, may be removed from the skills list. Having looked into the Counselling role it would take at least three years to train. Don't feel in a great spot at the minute!

Do keep an eye on Northern Territory police as they do sometimes recruit international and more so than other forces.

However, you would need to apply with a big realistic dose of what policing in the NT would mean and that you would most likely be posted to a remote community for a while initially.

It would be one step closer than where I am now and ultimately worth it if I was to attain PR and eventually able to move/transfer to WA. Many thanks for your advice and direction - really appreciate it.

http://www.policerecruit.qld.gov.au/alternativeEntry/ "Applications are invited from current and recently serving police officers from other Australian and international jurisdictions"

It might be worthwhile contacting the above. I do notice that there are some forthcoming seminars https://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/queensland-police-recruiting-8421222788 this month, you could possibly consider booking another flight to Oz !. Who knows where this might lead!

Edited by Evandale
Additional Seminar Information

http://www.policerecruit.qld.gov.au/alternativeEntry/ "Applications are invited from current and recently serving police officers from other Australian and international jurisdictions"

It might be worthwhile contacting the above. I do notice that there are some forthcoming seminars https://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/queensland-police-recruiting-8421222788 this month, you could possibly consider booking another flight to Oz !. Who knows where this might lead!

QPS won't sponsor though, you'd have to find a pathway to permanent residence first and then apply.

Thank you for your response, I am slightly confused when it said "international jurisdictions " as surely if you were applying from IJ, then you wouldnt possibly have PR. It might be worthwhile for the OP to enquire.

Because many people arrive as partners of successful PR applicants.

Thank you for your response, I am slightly confused when it said "international jurisdictions " as surely if you were applying from IJ, then you wouldnt possibly have PR. It might be worthwhile for the OP to enquire.

It says on their website (and I know from experience) they won't sponsor. You need PR or citizenship first as a "pre-application requisite"

[h=2]Residency[/h]You must either be an Australian citizen or hold permanent residency status, or be a New Zealand citizen holding a special category visa (SCV*) under the Migration Act 1958 (Cth​).

Most New Zealand citizens who enter Australia on a New Zealand passport do so under the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement.

New Zealand citizens who enter Australia under this arrangement do not have to apply for a visa before travelling.
They are granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) (SCV) on arrival in Australia, subject to meeting certain health and character requirements.​

Edited by Nemesis

Hey mate,

At 26, you are eligible for the Working Holiday visa (up to 2 years with 3 months regional work). Have you used it already?

If not, it may be possible to take a career break/leave of absence from your job in the UK and come over for a few years to really see what it is like to live here. In that time, you may change your mind or you may find a new career in Oz that is willing to sponsor for PR or potentially meet a partner for a de facto visa.

No guarantees but should be easier if you are on the ground. If something works out you can just resign at that point, if not you have your job to go back to in the UK. It's all about having and keeping optons open.

I know the Irish Police force allow career breaks of up to 3 years.

A visit to a good migration agent may be worth it too.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that, three weeks ago when I was on the Gold Coast I looked up the website and noticed they don't offer sponsorship. I'm hoping WA open up after the elections (keeping my fingers crossed).

Hey mate,

At 26, you are eligible for the Working Holiday visa (up to 2 years with 3 months regional work). Have you used it already?

If not, it may be possible to take a career break/leave of absence from your job in the UK and come over for a few years to really see what it is like to live here. In that time, you may change your mind or you may find a new career in Oz that is willing to sponsor for PR or potentially meet a partner for a de facto visa.

No guarantees but should be easier if you are on the ground. If something works out you can just resign at that point, if not you have your job to go back to in the UK. It's all about having and keeping optons open.

I know the Irish Police force allow career breaks of up to 3 years.

A visit to a good migration agent may be worth it too.

Hope this helps

Definitely something to consider mate, cheers for that.