Plans To Move Woop Woop!!!

Huntersmummy

Good Evening Me Ole China's!!!!

Hope everyone had a smashing new years! I'm still highly strung/drunk/argumentative with husband with those damn kit kats!! :D

Just a bit of advice I'm after.

After october this year, our visa restrictions are lifted! We can move anywhere in Oz. TBH I've had enough of darwin. Its dawned on me it is a massive hick town, its a place you come to earn money but NOT to settle and its too f**king hot!

The husband has mentioned cairns which we will be visiting sometime in april when the kids are off school for a few days to get a feel of the place.

Pom Queen, you said you were living there right??? Hahahahaha, we'll have to meet up and have a "bottle of wine" hour on our watches ;)

Anyone else living there who would yeah or no the place?

Cairns is indeed tropical, as is Darwin. But the climate is not as oppressive in my opinion.

Whether Cairns would suit you would depend very much on what you are looking good for. If you want a temperate 4 season climate, with cold, Cairns is not it. However, if you are looking for a tropical climate which on a winter (dry season) morning can be as low as 16C (although frost in Gordonvale is not unknown) rising to mid 20s by 9am, with summer being 24C - 35C with the associated humidity of the tropics then Cairns climate is for you you.

I like the regional feel of Cairns. The resources are more than enough for us, the surrounding environment is spectacular. There is a strong local stable population and good schools.

But being very regional, it does not have the arts culture of locations such as Melbourne or Sydney.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Thanks chris!

Yeah we are trying to move away from the weather but its not the number 1 problem we don't like.

We want a "community feel" Darwin is very timid as theres no chatting to neighbours or rarely meeting at the park etc.

We looked at trip advisor and it was mixed results. The one that worried me was someone said it was a town that didn't like outsiders, bit like darwin! Its hard to integrate if your not born and bred.

:(

The Pom Queen is an expert on Cairns but has moved to Brisbane. TripAdvisor is designed for tourists: I'm not sure how useful it would be for potential residents.

I'd suggest making a list of "essentials" and "desirables" you are looking for (including ideal climate) so that we can point you in directions you hadn't thought of. :wink:

You may be restricted by employment options: what type of work will OH be looking for?

Hi there HuntersMummy,

I like Skani's idea of writing down what you are looking for in where you want to live, the must haves and the nice to haves.

I have only visited Cairns, liked it but it is a country town and probably smaller than Darwin. It will still be very tropical and hot in summer, nice winters though. Work availability and budget will be a big factor in where you move to. My experience of country towns anywhere is that you can live there 10 years and you are still a blowin. I have a cousin who lives in a beautiful part of West Cork in Ireland and has been there for 15 years, she is still not considered a local :). She is heavily involved in the community though and loves it.

Quite often community is found in parts of the cities. I live in Balmain in Sydney and there is a great community around here if you want it and get involved with local clubs etc.

My cousins moved to Canberra initially (state sponsored and were in their 40's with 2 kids)) and were soon part of a community. After their 2 years they moved to Perth as Canberra was not the Aussie dream but a means to an end. They have been in the Northern suburbs in Perth for 5 years and are heavily involved in their local community, mostly through local sports clubs for them/their kids.

So it all depends on what you are looking for. I don't know why but the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast came to mind for you when I read your post.

Good luck