9.5 year old cat.. would you take yours?

We're trying to decide whether to take our beloved cat. We rescued him at age 1 (so we were told). We can't imagine life without him. He's healthy (touch wood) and a real member of our household. I know it's up to the individual cat (and all cats are different!) plus we're aware that cats can live up to 20 and onwards. We don't have anyone who could take our cat, so it would have to be back to a rescue centre (don't even tell me how freaking dreadful this makes me just thinking about it). The part that is making us think twice about taking him, is I guess is it 'fair' to take a 9.5 year old cat? Especially one that hates travelling 4 seconds in a car let along how he would be in planes and held at airports for hours and hours.

I don't know what I'm looking for, just fresh perspective I guess.

Ours was about 13/

14 and lived until she was 21. We did go to the vet and he did some tests, if he'd have said it wasn't in her best interests then my in-laws would have had her, but he said she was fit and healthy so we did. When we picked her up at Quarantine they had put her back in the travel crate she'd travelled in - it was really quite roomy (much bigger than her travel carrier for the trip to the vets) and her cushion that we'd given to the lady who'd picked her up was also in there.

If she's fit and healthy and you can afford it then bring it - if you're like us she was part of our family and my hubby who isn't sentimental commented that we'd had her longer than the kids and couldn't think of leaving her behind.

• Like 1

Animals cope with it far better than you might expect. We were very worried about our little dog, but other than jet lag and walking around a bit confused as to why it was night when his body clock said day for a couple of weeks, he was fine.

It is important if you do, to start the process early. Pet Air are members of the forum and have an excellent reputation for moving the fury members of the family and are ran by vets.

• Like 1

We're trying to decide whether to take our beloved cat. We rescued him at age 1 (so we were told). We can't imagine life without him. He's healthy (touch wood) and a real member of our household. I know it's up to the individual cat (and all cats are different!) plus we're aware that cats can live up to 20 and onwards. We don't have anyone who could take our cat, so it would have to be back to a rescue centre (don't even tell me how freaking dreadful this makes me just thinking about it). The part that is making us think twice about taking him, is I guess is it 'fair' to take a 9.5 year old cat? Especially one that hates travelling 4 seconds in a car let along how he would be in planes and held at airports for hours and hours.

It is a total no brainer. Take the cat.

Leaving a cat in a re-homing center if you are lucky enough to find one to take him anyway, is going to be far more stressful than a 24 hour flight. Actually you proclaim to love this cat but have to ask this question? I am baffled.

• Like 2

It is a total no brainer. Take the cat.

Leaving a cat in a re-homing center if you are lucky enough to find one to take him anyway, is going to be far more stressful than a 24 hour flight. Actually you proclaim to love this cat but have to ask this question? I am baffled.

I think it's because they love the cat they're asking the question. That's exactly why we took ours to the vet to see if it was in her best interest - until we came to emigrate, our cat had been no further than the vet or the cattery - so we also asked the question on a forum and sought advice from others who had been in the same situation and transported their animals, after all - that's what the forum is about - to try to make the whole migration process a little easier.

• Like 1

If the vet says okay, take the cat. We moved from the UK to Luxembourg years ago and had a cat that was - believe it or not - just turned nine when we left. There were all sorts of issues involved in our decision not to take her if we could find a new home, uppermost being that had we returned when the cat was still alive, she would have faced six months (in those days) in quarantine, possibly at an advanced age. So we found a new home for her and left here behind. I've always regretted it and wished we had kept her with us. take the cat.

• Like 1

If the vet gives your cat the all clear health wise I'd ship him. Honestly, many animals don't like being transported by a car or whatever but once in the crate for the journey, your cat will settle. A car is a different thing to being on a plane, I doubt your cat would really even know it was moving as it won't be looking out a window or seeing the daylight passing by like it would in car. Nor will the motion be the same.

I'd try not to overthink it nor put your human feelings and emotions in to it. Cats and dogs are far more living in the moment than we are and we tend to really tear ourselves up when shipping a pet but its usually far more stressful for us than it is them.

I'd give Bob at Pet Air a call and discuss your concerns. He's shipping many pets for people and I think will be able to reassure you.

What was said re rehoming above is probably correct. Cat rescues are overflowing and older cats can be hard to rehome. A cat can be many months in a small pen and in a rescue, even longer for some. If your cat is fit and well, ship him :) 24 hours or so in a pet crate flying to Aus and 10 days in quarantine is pretty much over and done with when rehoming via a rescue could be a long wait for a new home. Plus you'd have the not knowing to live with. Faced with all that, I'd ship your cat with you.

Edited by Guest
eta

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think you've managed to calm my fears. Yes, we love our cat so much - that's why I was asking the question. As to what is the right thing to do for an older cat who doesn't like travelling. Is it fair, is it the right thing to put him through. He really really despises traveling and even if he sees a suitcase he'll froth at the mouth.

I was trying to think what is best for him - rather than for us if that makes sense. If we didn't take him, then a rehoming centre would be the absolutely last resort. We would constantly search for good people, friends, friends of friends etc.., to take him right up until there was no other decision left. IF that was what we decided was the right thing to do.

We want to take him, he's part of the family and we love him so much. We also don't subscribe to the 'our life changes' and our pet doesn't fit this anymore. I just was trying to sound out if taking such a timid creature would be cruel.

However, on balance, from insights above and also a bit of deep thinking it's the right thing to do. Now.. off to get him a book to read on how to stay away from birds and dangerous Aussie creatures ;-)

Ours was about 13/

14 and lived until she was 21. We did go to the vet and he did some tests, if he'd have said it wasn't in her best interests then my in-laws would have had her, but he said she was fit and healthy so we did. When we picked her up at Quarantine they had put her back in the travel crate she'd travelled in - it was really quite roomy (much bigger than her travel carrier for the trip to the vets) and her cushion that we'd given to the lady who'd picked her up was also in there.

If she's fit and healthy and you can afford it then bring it - if you're like us she was part of our family and my hubby who isn't sentimental commented that we'd had her longer than the kids and couldn't think of leaving her behind.

Thanks Ali, we've had ours longer than our wee one too!

Animals cope with it far better than you might expect. We were very worried about our little dog, but other than jet lag and walking around a bit confused as to why it was night when his body clock said day for a couple of weeks, he was fine.

It is important if you do, to start the process early. Pet Air are members of the forum and have an excellent reputation for moving the fury members of the family and are ran by vets.

Thanks Verystormy (great name by the way!) I will check out Pet Air.

I think it's because they love the cat they're asking the question. That's exactly why we took ours to the vet to see if it was in her best interest - until we came to emigrate, our cat had been no further than the vet or the cattery - so we also asked the question on a forum and sought advice from others who had been in the same situation and transported their animals, after all - that's what the forum is about - to try to make the whole migration process a little easier.

Yes, you've hit the note. Thanks Ali. We love him so much we were trying to the right thing by him and had to 'go through the thought process' a bit deeper I guess and hear about other personal experiences to help calm our fears.

If the vet says okay, take the cat. We moved from the UK to Luxembourg years ago and had a cat that was - believe it or not - just turned nine when we left. There were all sorts of issues involved in our decision not to take her if we could find a new home, uppermost being that had we returned when the cat was still alive, she would have faced six months (in those days) in quarantine, possibly at an advanced age. So we found a new home for her and left here behind. I've always regretted it and wished we had kept her with us. take the cat.

I'll set up an appointment with the vet today, thanks for the advice.

If they say he's in full heath, take the cat we shall :-)

If the vet gives your cat the all clear health wise I'd ship him. Honestly, many animals don't like being transported by a car or whatever but once in the crate for the journey, your cat will settle. A car is a different thing to being on a plane, I doubt your cat would really even know it was moving as it won't be looking out a window or seeing the daylight passing by like it would in car. Nor will the motion be the same.

I'd try not to overthink it nor put your human feelings and emotions in to it. Cats and dogs are far more living in the moment than we are and we tend to really tear ourselves up when shipping a pet but its usually far more stressful for us than it is them.

I'd give Bob at Pet Air a call and discuss your concerns. He's shipping many pets for people and I think will be able to reassure you.

What was said re rehoming above is probably correct. Cat rescues are overflowing and older cats can be hard to rehome. A cat can be many months in a small pen and in a rescue, even longer for some. If your cat is fit and well, ship him :) 24 hours or so in a pet crate flying to Aus and 10 days in quarantine is pretty much over and done with when rehoming via a rescue could be a long wait for a new home. Plus you'd have the not knowing to live with. Faced with all that, I'd ship your cat with you.

Spot on advice, thanks Snifter. I do think we, and most pet lovers, project our own feelings onto our lovely pets. You're right, they live for the day! Rehoming was an absolute last resort, however, that's academic now as we've decided if the vet says go for it, go for it we shall.

Spot on advice, thanks Snifter. I do think we, and most pet lovers, project our own feelings onto our lovely pets. You're right, they live for the day! Rehoming was an absolute last resort, however, that's academic now as we've decided if the vet says go for it, go for it we shall.

We relied on the vet - if he'd have said it's not in her best interests then that would have been in. The great thing is that quarantine isn't as long now either so you don't have to wait too long to be reunited.

• Like 1

Thanks Verystormy (great name by the way!) I will check out Pet Air.

Ozzie, very glad you have decided to take your cat back with you! I wondered if I could ask this group a further question about shipping a cat (or dog for that matter) to the UK from Oz. It's related in a way to your request. When the animals are in the back section of the plane, is it very noisy, does anyone know? And is it cold in there? I'll be wanting to take an animal back with me, too, so I'm a bit worried about the noise. Thank you.

Ozzie, very glad you have decided to take your cat back with you! I wondered if I could ask this group a further question about shipping a cat (or dog for that matter) to the UK from Oz. It's related in a way to your request. When the animals are in the back section of the plane, is it very noisy, does anyone know? And is it cold in there? I'll be wanting to take an animal back with me, too, so I'm a bit worried about the noise. Thank you.

No idea about the noise but our the travel box for our cat was wooden apart from the grill door which had food and water holders on it, I don't know if the solid sides/top helped to muffle some of the noise.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

We could not have left our cats behind!  They are family. They settled in very well.......make your plans early for vaccinations and blood tests as you need 6 clear months so they spend the minimum time in quarantine in Oz.

Ours were about 7 when we came. We worried about the air travel but they were fine.  Use an airline that is pet friendly. We used Qantas.

Our remover quietly recommended Golden Arrow.....(not who her firm recommended). We talked to one or 2 of the bigger companies and were not impressed with the way they talked to us....they seemed to be too busy. Golden Arrow is a small outfit and they did a superb job and treated our cats as if they were their own. Their fees were well worth it. On the day, we had 2 feet of snow and Golden Arrow still managed to get through and it took away a lot of anguish as Heathrow was closed for a few hours and we wondered if our flight would get away, let alone theirs.

Oscar and Tiggy arrived safely and have settled in well....they like the weather in WA.  We built a cat run at our first house but now they are indoor cats. They don't like Aussie cat treats (too hard) so I import Dreamies every 2 months from the UK!

• Like 1

I left my cat behind on a move abroad when she was nine. I found a new home for her and she seemed happy but I regretted it terribly and would never do it again, even though it seemed the best thing for her at the time. If your cat is in good health, I'd take her.

• Like 1