Moving back to UK at age of 75 and single!

Dell

Hi there, well, once I'd worked out what a saff was (!), yes, I do find the heat really hard to take in mid summer but you mention spring in the UK. There's nothing like it when the daffs come out and if you're lucky, you get a lovely spring day with the sun shining and everything so green and it really is fantastic. I miss that, amongst other things. However, I have a vivid memory of very wet springs indeed so have no illusions, haha
This autumn for some reason has produced the most fantastic display of colours and like you I can well do without the heat, give me the temperate climate over africa any day.

Well said BM, brits moan about everything including their country, Aussies and SAfricans do nothing but big up their countries...I really dont get it.

PB, lets not start to derail the thread and take it down a path away from the OP's topic. Its not helpful. This is MBTTUK, not CTF.

Thanks in advance :)

Well, that's interesting, Quoll. Last time I enquired some years ago about the UK pension, they told me that because I had worked only until I was 23, I wasn't eligible because they didn't count the early years between 15 and 21. However, they must have changed and now may consider some of my work history from here, too! I did chat with the Aussie pensions people last week and they told me yes, by all means put a claim in to the UK and see what happens but I must remember that the more extra money I attain through whatever means, my Aussie pension will reduce!!! Re where I would be heading in the UK, I am a Lancashire lass and I would go back to the town I know which is by the coast. I even have cousins there although we are not close but I am very familiar with it as I've been back and forth there several times in the past. It's a pricey place, though, re housing so I might end up renting, depending on how my luck goes. All good advice, thanks.

Do think carefully about renting, you would almost inevitably be on a short-term assured tenancy and landlords can and do change there mind about renting out and ask you to move.

If you could get council/housing association property that would be different but private would give you no security and typically rent will keep on going up. If you can buy somewhere I would and then that's something you don't need to worry about.

Perhaps even look at 'retirement' villages even the mobile home ones

Something like this... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61642145.html or this http://www.burlinghampark.co.uk/quality-park-homes-for-sale-garstang-lancashire

Just be careful though as retirement villages and residential park homes do have service charges.

Also if you do need adaptations in later life you own the place so can do it - my dad had to get my permission, I had quite a few forms to fill in which of course I did but tbh if he'd just been a tenant who could give me a months notice at any time I almost certainly would have said no (& I'd like to think I am a very nice person but when my dad moves out or moves on I will need to spend quite a bit to get the property fit for the general rental market again).

Sorry I feel like I am painting a very bleak picture of your future here - I just know for my dad's 80th I was able to treat him & my mam to trip on the Orient Express and here we are 5 years later and without a lot of support he would have been in a nursing home. Plenty his age are still off on adventures though - I sure hope I am!

Do think carefully about renting, you would almost inevitably be on a short-term assured tenancy and landlords can and do change there mind about renting out and ask you to move.

If you could get council/housing association property that would be different but private would give you no security and typically rent will keep on going up. If you can buy somewhere I would and then that's something you don't need to worry about.

Perhaps even look at 'retirement' villages even the mobile home ones

Something like this... http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61642145.html or this http://www.burlinghampark.co.uk/quality-park-homes-for-sale-garstang-lancashire

Just be careful though as retirement villages and residential park homes do have service charges.

Also if you do need adaptations in later life you own the place so can do it - my dad had to get my permission, I had quite a few forms to fill in which of course I did but tbh if he'd just been a tenant who could give me a months notice at any time I almost certainly would have said no (& I'd like to think I am a very nice person but when my dad moves out or moves on I will need to spend quite a bit to get the property fit for the general rental market again).

Sorry I feel like I am painting a very bleak picture of your future here - I just know for my dad's 80th I was able to treat him & my mam to trip on the Orient Express and here we are 5 years later and without a lot of support he would have been in a nursing home. Plenty his age are still off on adventures though - I sure hope I am!

No, I didn't interpret your message that way! All the messages are VERY helpful to me and I've got some good ideas from them. I will have a look at the link you've given me. I might already have seen that one. I've been pouring over them all month. I quite like some of the parks. They're set out very prettily and some have green fields around them which gives one a good view. Public transport there is wonderful so I could get into town very easily, unlike here where I am, where there are no buses or trains within 200ks so I use my car everywhere. (The joys of living in an Aussie country town!) I think most Aussies agree with me, though. The small towns here are sadly neglected when they could be developed so easily. A lot of them were thriving towns but were allowed to deteriorate when the trains stopped running. In the early part of the last century, NSW had a wonderful railway network put in by the early settlers, I suppose, which stretched throughout the whole state. Very sad. Instead, they now have overcrowding in Sydney in many suburbs and house prices are hugely expensive. It could have been very different if successive town planners had used their brains! Sorry, I digress!

I know I hate renting. It's been battered into me by my parents and grandparents. Perhaps I'd better have another look at the park housing!

Cheers!

Hello Dell

At last someone who is similar to me I am going through the same stuff and I was going to get some help from one of the people on the site but family commitments have made it hard for her which I understand. I am 68 and my hubby passed away in 2014. We like you have been back twice once to look after my Dad and once for work back in 2009. I am on part pension and an Aussie Pension. I have a son living in Melbourne but I haven't seen him now for a year and it looks like another Christmas with just me and my little dog. That is okay I can't fix what is going on between him and his partner and to be honest I don't want to try anymore it is very silly and when you have been a fulltime carer for 4 years and gone through what hubby has been through you tend to look at thing's differently. I have gathered a bit of info and received a letter from the UK on behalf of the Prime Minister who I wrote to in the first place. If you would like to work this out or try to I can send you my email address which I would do now but not sure how to. You are write it is a big thing to do and on your own is very daunting to me a scary as I will be alone I have some friends and a couple of cousins but that is it but over here yes I have friends I talk to on my walks and at the shops and I can go and have the odd coffee but like you it isn't enough. It would be nice to have an evening walk with the dog and pop into the local with her on my way home which I wouldn't dream of doing here and it isn't something we did anyway. I am so fed up with loosing my confidence that brought us here back in 1989.

Hello Dell

At last someone who is similar to me I am going through the same stuff and I was going to get some help from one of the people on the site but family commitments have made it hard for her which I understand. I am 68 and my hubby passed away in 2014. We like you have been back twice once to look after my Dad and once for work back in 2009. I am on part pension and an Aussie Pension. I have a son living in Melbourne but I haven't seen him now for a year and it looks like another Christmas with just me and my little dog. That is okay I can't fix what is going on between him and his partner and to be honest I don't want to try anymore it is very silly and when you have been a fulltime carer for 4 years and gone through what hubby has been through you tend to look at thing's differently. I have gathered a bit of info and received a letter from the UK on behalf of the Prime Minister who I wrote to in the first place. If you would like to work this out or try to I can send you my email address which I would do now but not sure how to. You are write it is a big thing to do and on your own is very daunting to me a scary as I will be alone I have some friends and a couple of cousins but that is it but over here yes I have friends I talk to on my walks and at the shops and I can go and have the odd coffee but like you it isn't enough. It would be nice to have an evening walk with the dog and pop into the local with her on my way home which I wouldn't dream of doing here and it isn't something we did anyway. I am so fed up with loosing my confidence that brought us here back in 1989.

You should be able to private message, check the rules.

You will see that I have attained the reputation of a UK knocker but I'm not, just make sure of the costs of property and what benefits you would qualify for like free bus passes and whether their is bus services close to where you settle, if you do buy make sure you are aware of any service charges on the property you buy and how those are indexed.

Nothing to panic about but just something to enquire about.

Hello Dell

Hi there. You know, I don't feel nervous about going back at all. I do feel nervous about the actual trip, packing everything, having to either sell or give away some of my furniture which is meaningful to me. I shan't go unless I am absolutely clear on how much money I am going to have to live on. That is my red line! I'm still digging at the moment but have been helped tremendously by our colleagues here already!

I know I will be starting again, on my own. I have a step-cousin who is in the same town and I will probably go and look her up. That will be a start. We're not close but still it will be nice to touch base. I plan then on trying to sort myself out accommodation-wise. I will have already booked some accommodation that will tied me over for a couple of weeks. I'll do that online. Then start deciding whether to rent or to buy a house/flat/park house, something! In between all this, I plan to join a few things/groups. That's how I intend to go on ... if I go!

You could do that and you have several years on me!! You've obviously been through some very trying times with your husband, as I did. One partner looks after the other and it happened to be us in this case. It was a very harrowing time. On top of that, I also lost my mother just before my husband! So it's taken me a long time to get over it and I'm sure it is the same for you. I'm now ready to step into another phase of my life. You may or may not be ready. Looking at it clinically, the best thing would be for you to come to an understanding with him before you contemplate going so that you leave knowing that it's not a real goodbye. That would be so important for you. The fact that you have your son here is a huge draw for you, although perhaps distance may help in this case. My sister had a time when she was very isolated from her children and it took years to bring them all back together again but they did, in the end. People change, people forgive (when they're ready) Things that were unimportant to them become very important as time goes on.

This Aussie pension thing is difficult to navigate. The fact that if I do not buy a property of some kind in the UK will mean that the Aussie government will start deeming interest on whatever amount I put into a savings account, so they've told me it would benefit me to have as little in a savings account as possible!! So it's tricky. Would you take your dog with you? I would have to take at least one with me, the younger one. Choosing which one, I can't even contemplate at this moment! I've transported three animals from the US once. Apart from being VERY expensive, it is traumatic for them, well, it was for mine, anyway. But times have changed and I've found a good animal transporter, Dogtainers, who I would trust, I think. But one dog costs around $3,800! And maybe more if you want it door to door! So lots of expense, lots of upheaval but, I think, worth it if you are in a similar situation!

Good luck with your decision-making! It's not easy.

You should be able to private message, check the rules.

You will see that I have attained the reputation of a UK knocker but I'm not, just make sure of the costs of property and what benefits you would qualify for like free bus passes and whether their is bus services close to where you settle, if you do buy make sure you are aware of any service charges on the property you buy and how those are indexed.

Nothing to panic about but just something to enquire about.

Thank you for those tips! Re buses, I've been in my 70's for awhile now so transport is quite important to me - unfortunately, but can't fight City Hall! Don't know anything about service charges and how they are indexed!!! Okay, another two for the list! Thank you.

Thank you for those tips! Re buses, I've been in my 70's for awhile now so transport is quite important to me - unfortunately, but can't fight City Hall! Don't know anything about service charges and how they are indexed!!! Okay, another two for the list! Thank you.

public transport is more costly if you have to pay for it so if your budget will be tight it would be worth looking up costs in the area you want to move to. you could also use google to look around at the area you want to go to & see if it still has shops you would use & hasnt been taken over by pound shops or empty shops. no point moving to an area that forces you to catch transport somewhere else to get stuff. good luck with your plans. im sure if you want to go you will find a way to make it work.

Hello Dell

Thank you so much for your reply who would have thought I would be talking to a Lancashire lass I am from BOLTON Fred Dibna country stepple jack and all that. I do get the odd email and gift through the post from my son but he is 40 now and old enough to make his own decisions. They have had a few problems in the last 3 years and she seems to feel I want to mother her which I suppose I do it is my nature to care but she doesn't get I don't want a daughter I have a son but who said we can't look after each other. My husband had lung desease IPF and yet neither of us ever smoked so he was on oxygen 24/7 so I slept with one eye open and one closed for over 3 years incase there was an interruption with the machine. I have looked at Park Homes and I agree they are beautiful but I can't decide if I want to go back to Bolton or try near the coast, I don't understand what you mean about our Aussie Pension and savings. They take our Brit Pension into account and savings but why would they do that once we have moved. I was looking at what Lady Rainicorn was saying and it doesn't seem a lot of savings to get nothing at all. I was on a site checking it out and I was aloud credits and help with council tax. This is what scares me as there are so many different thing's for different people. I would take my little dog chloe she is 13 and I adopted her last Christmas as my little dog aged 17 passed away in June she just never got over Dad missing it was very sad to watch her go down hill. Talking to yourself to me is normal but when you start to answer yourself back I think it is time for a companion or the shite jacket people to come. What we want is someone to say you can have this and this and you will get that and that.

I do hope I am not doing this next Christmas Dell.

Hi again Dell

I have just come across this site

experts-for-expats-logo.png

m

[h=1]Welcome to Experts for Expats[/h]Experts for Expats is an online resource designed exclusively for expats that is underpinned by a network of independent experts providing impartial advice enabling people to make qualified decisions about their lives abroad.

All the information provided through Experts For Expats is created and provided from our unique network of independent experts from around the world.

[h=2]Special feature: EU Referendum for Expats >[/h]On 23rd June 2016, British citizens voted for the UK to leave the EU in one of the biggest political shocks in living memory. We have created a special section which looks at how expats could be affected and presents useful facts and other resources to help make sense of the decision.

Visit our EU Referendum section

brexit-property-decisions.jpg [h=4]When is the best time to buy or sell a property post-Brexit?[/h]Read full article >

dont-panic.jpg [h=4]It’s a leave vote – but please don’t panic[/h]Read full article >

how-could-brexit-affect-pensions-and-qrops.jpg [h=4]How could Brexit affect UK pensions and QROPS?[/h]Read full article >

[h=2]Essential Information for Expats[/h]SetWidth300-pension-lifetime-allowance.jpg [h=3]Options to mitigate the changes to UK Pension Lifetime Allowance[/h]The UK Pension Lifetime allowance was eroded to £1m, but you still have options available. Find out what they are

Read full article >

SetWidth300-brexit-exchange-rates.jpg [h=3]What next for Pound Sterling exchange rates?[/h]Read full article >

SetWidth300-non-habitual-residence-nhr-regime-portugal.jpg [h=3]Non-Habitual Residence tax regime in Portugal[/h]Read full article >

SetWidth300-health-insurance-expat-checklist.jpg [h=3]Expat health insurance checklist[/h]Read full article >

SetWidth300-how-to-prepare-for-your-tax-return.jpg [h=3]Eight simple steps you can take to make your UK tax return stress free[/h]Read full article >

[h=3]Full archive >[/h]

[h=2]Essential Information From Our Experts for Expats[/h]SetWidth300-pensions.png [h=3]Pensions[/h]Whether you're beginning your career or about to take your pension, ensuring you have a sufficient income during your retirement is essential.

More information >

SetWidth300-expat-tax.png [h=3]Tax[/h]Our detailed guides have been put together by our experts in expat tax and they are ready to personally help you pay the correct amount of tax.

More information >

SetWidth300-financial-planning-balance.png [h=3]Financial Advice[/h]There are so many things to consider when creating a strong financial plan. Our guides are designed to help you create your perfect financial plan.

More information >

SetWidth300-expat-insurance.png [h=3]Insurance[/h]Ensuring you have fully comprehensive insurance is crucial. Our guides cover everything from home & contents to insurance for high risk areas.

More information >

SetWidth300-relocation.png [h=3]Moving Abroad[/h]If you're about to move abroad, our expert guides will give you the information you need to help make your move that little bit easier.

More information >

SetWidth300-destinations.png [h=3]Destinations[/h]If you're considering moving abroad or would like some location specific advice, our expat country guides is a great starting point.

More information >

[h=3]Request independent advice[/h]If you need assistance with tax, relocation or your finances, enter your details below and we will arrange for a free, initial consultation with an independent adviser

NationalityAfghan Albanian Algerian American Andorran Angolan Antiguans Argentinean Armenian Australian Austrian Azerbaijani Bahamian Bahraini Bangladeshi Barbadian Barbudans Batswana Belarusian Belgian Belizean Beninese Bermudian Bhutanese Bolivian Bosnian Brazilian British Bruneian Bulgarian Burkinabe Burmese Burundian Cambodian Cameroonian Canadian Cape Verdean Central African Chadian Chilean Chinese Colombian Comoran Congolese Costa Rican Croatian Cuban Cypriot Czech Danish Djibouti Dominican Dutch East Timorese Ecuadorean Egyptian Emirian Equatorial Guinean Eritrean Estonian Ethiopian Fijian Filipino Finnish French Gabonese Gambian Georgian German Ghanaian Greek Grenadian Guatemalan Guinea-Bissauan Guinean Guyanese Haitian Herzegovinian Honduran Hungarian Icelander Indian Indonesian Iranian Iraqi Irish Israeli Italian Ivorian Jamaican Japanese Jordanian Kazakhstani Kenyan Kittian and Nevisian Kuwaiti Kyrgyz Laotian Latvian Lebanese Liberian Libyan Liechtensteiner Lithuanian Luxembourger Macedonian Malagasy Malawian Malaysian Maldivan Malian Maltese Marshallese Mauritanian Mauritian Mexican Micronesian Moldovan Monacan Mongolian Moroccan Mosotho Motswana Mozambican Namibian Nauruan Nepalese New Zealander Ni-Vanuatu Nicaraguan Nigerien North Korean Northern Irish Norwegian Omani Pakistani Palauan Panamanian Papua New Guinean Paraguayan Peruvian Polish Portuguese Qatari Romanian Russian Rwandan Saint Lucian Salvadoran Samoan San Marinese Sao Tomean Saudi Scottish Senegalese Serbian Seychellois Sierra Leonean Singaporean Slovakian Slovenian Solomon Islander Somali South African South Korean Spanish Sri Lankan Sudanese Surinamer Swazi Swedish Swiss Syrian Taiwanese Tajik Tanzanian Thai Togolese Tongan Trinidadian or Tobagonian Tunisian Turkish Tuvaluan Ugandan Ukrainian Uruguayan Uzbekistani Venezuelan Vietnamese Welsh Yemenite Zambian Zimbabwean

Country of residencePlease choose Afghanistan Åland Islands Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo Congo Cook Islands Costa Rica Cote D'ivoire Croatia Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Republic of Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macao Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Romania Russian Federation Rwanda Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and The Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syrian Arab Republic Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Viet Nam British Virgin Islands US Virgin Islands Western Sahara Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe

How can we help you?Education Fee Planning Estate Planning Insurance Investments Offshore Savings Pensions Property management QROPS Relocation Assistance Tax management Trusts Wills

Please check this box if you would like to receive our monthly newsletter

[h=3]Please share to help keep our site free[/h]

[h=3]Explore ExpertsForExpats.com[/h][h=4]Essential Information for Expats[/h]

[h=4]Popular Resources[/h]

[h=4]About Us[/h]

[h=3]Request free advice[/h]

If you need independent advice, simply enter your details below and we'll arrange for your free consultation. NationalityAfghan Albanian Algerian American Andorran Angolan Antiguans Argentinean Armenian Australian Austrian Azerbaijani Bahamian Bahraini Bangladeshi Barbadian Barbudans Batswana Belarusian Belgian Belizean Beninese Bermudian Bhutanese Bolivian Bosnian Brazilian British Bruneian Bulgarian Burkinabe Burmese Burundian Cambodian Cameroonian Canadian Cape Verdean Central African Chadian Chilean Chinese Colombian Comoran Congolese Costa Rican Croatian Cuban Cypriot Czech Danish Djibouti Dominican Dutch East Timorese Ecuadorean Egyptian Emirian Equatorial Guinean Eritrean Estonian Ethiopian Fijian Filipino Finnish French Gabonese Gambian Georgian German Ghanaian Greek Grenadian Guatemalan Guinea-Bissauan Guinean Guyanese Haitian Herzegovinian Honduran Hungarian Icelander Indian Indonesian Iranian Iraqi Irish Israeli Italian Ivorian Jamaican Japanese Jordanian Kazakhstani Kenyan Kittian and Nevisian Kuwaiti Kyrgyz Laotian Latvian Lebanese Liberian Libyan Liechtensteiner Lithuanian Luxembourger Macedonian Malagasy Malawian Malaysian Maldivan Malian Maltese Marshallese Mauritanian Mauritian Mexican Micronesian Moldovan Monacan Mongolian Moroccan Mosotho Motswana Mozambican Namibian Nauruan Nepalese New Zealander Ni-Vanuatu Nicaraguan Nigerien North Korean Northern Irish Norwegian Omani Pakistani Palauan Panamanian Papua New Guinean Paraguayan Peruvian Polish Portuguese Qatari Romanian Russian Rwandan Saint Lucian Salvadoran Samoan San Marinese Sao Tomean Saudi Scottish Senegalese Serbian Seychellois Sierra Leonean Singaporean Slovakian Slovenian Solomon Islander Somali South African South Korean Spanish Sri Lankan Sudanese Surinamer Swazi Swedish Swiss Syrian Taiwanese Tajik Tanzanian Thai Togolese Tongan Trinidadian or Tobagonian Tunisian Turkish Tuvaluan Ugandan Ukrainian Uruguayan Uzbekistani Venezuelan Vietnamese Welsh Yemenite Zambian Zimbabwean

Country of residencePlease choose Afghanistan Åland Islands Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo Congo Cook Islands Costa Rica Cote D'ivoire Croatia Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Republic of Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macao Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Romania Russian Federation Rwanda Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and The Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syrian Arab Republic Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Viet Nam British Virgin Islands US Virgin Islands Western Sahara Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe

Disclaimer: No information on this site constitutes advice or a personal recommendation in any way whatsoever. We are not advisers ourselves, however all the advisers we work with are fully regulated by the appropriate authorities. By submitting your details, you are agreeing for one of our advisers to contact you for your initial consultation. We will not contact you for any

• Like 1

Dell

Another lady just put this on the site and I have had a look and it is all there for us I think. https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/overview

Hi, thanks for these attachments! I will have a good look at these. Sheila, great to say hi to another Lancashire Lass! I am from Lytham St Annes which is about 7 miles from Blackpool and Southport on the other side of us and this is where I hope to go back to! Cheers

I wish you luck i too live in a very quiet small town in Tasmania, plenty of things to do for young families but not a lot for the oldies. apart from baking cakes for the Auxilliary. I wanted to go back years ago but afraid my husband loves it here. Not sure about how you will go money wise but good luck to you.

Well, that's interesting, Quoll. Last time I enquired some years ago about the UK pension, they told me that because I had worked only until I was 23, I wasn't eligible because they didn't count the early years between 15 and 21. However, they must have changed and now may consider some of my work history from here, too! I did chat with the Aussie pensions people last week and they told me yes, by all means put a claim in to the UK and see what happens but I must remember that the more extra money I attain through whatever means, my Aussie pension will reduce!!! Re where I would be heading in the UK, I am a Lancashire lass and I would go back to the town I know which is by the coast. I even have cousins there although we are not close but I am very familiar with it as I've been back and forth there several times in the past. It's a pricey place, though, re housing so I might end up renting, depending on how my luck goes. All good advice, thanks.
renting may be harder with the dogs. The band is roughly related to size of the property, and property can be rebranded, so be careful. But I agree that the UK can be more welcoming, but you do have to pick well. You don't seem to get the small village effect in Australia, where you can't even get down the shops without someone waylaying you for a chat. My mum has a friend who has just moved to donnybrook in WA, which seems to be where the oldies head from Perth, so that could be an alternative too. Although village life does seem to be a British thing. Edited by newjez

There's nothing like it when the daffs come out and if you're lucky, you get a lovely spring day with the sun shining and everything so green and it really is fantastic. I miss that, amongst other things.

This may sound odd, but when we lived in the fierce burning dryness of Perth, I missed the UK's seasons and rain so much that I often used to have dreams about the park in the centre of our old home town in UK because of the greenery it had and how it would change its look and feel in different seasons.

To come back and see that park and gardens again looking better than ever is literally a dream come true for me.

Soon the Christmas tree and lights will all be turned on, the Christmas markets with their german beer bar stalls and hot food stalls will be setting up soon too on the high street.

Summer was fun, but this winter will be a good un.., gonna make sure of that !!

I wish you luck i too live in a very quiet small town in Tasmania, plenty of things to do for young families but not a lot for the oldies. apart from baking cakes for the Auxilliary. I wanted to go back years ago but afraid my husband loves it here. Not sure about how you will go money wise but good luck to you.

Hi, thanks for your reply! I've been to Tassie on hols and thought it was very much like England in some ways. Temps not as high and lots of rain. It's a pretty place. Re not many things for older people, I think unless you live in a city or the 'burbs, there is very little social activity full stop! If you have children, it's a different matter, of course, and if you live near the beach, that makes a huge difference, too. I always think that English 'community thing' is almost non-existent in Oz. I don't know why because the country was settled in the first place by largely Europeans and probably mostly people from the UK but that bit hasn't transferred over to here. That has been my experience, anyway. It may not be others. No, still checking the money bit out yet but it's becoming clearer!!

renting may be harder with the dogs. The band is roughly related to size of the property, and property can be rebranded, so be careful. But I agree that the UK can be more welcoming, but you do have to pick well. You don't seem to get the small village effect in Australia, where you can't even get down the shops without someone waylaying you for a chat. My mum has a friend who has just moved to donnybrook in WA, which seems to be where the oldies head from Perth, so that could be an alternative too. Although village life does seem to be a British thing.
Yes, you're right, renting may be harder with my dog. I'd only take one of them but don't want to think about that just now. Yes, you've named it well, the 'small village' effect is just missing in Oz and that's not a criticism. It's just how things are here, a different way of life.

This may sound odd, but when we lived in the fierce burning dryness of Perth, I missed the UK's seasons and rain so much that I often used to have dreams about the park in the centre of our old home town in UK because of the greenery it had and how it would change its look and feel in different seasons. Well, in summer here, I have begun to hate seeing blue skies and I never thought I'd say that, and long for the four seasons. We have had quite a wet winter this year in the south east of Australia and it turned everything very green and you just wish it could stay that way but the sun is so fierce here, as you know, that it dries everything out so quickly.

To come back and see that park and gardens again looking better than ever is literally a dream come true for me.

Soon the Christmas tree and lights will all be turned on, the Christmas markets with their german beer bar stalls and hot food stalls will be setting up soon too on the high street.

Summer was fun, but this winter will be a good un.., gonna make sure of that !!

Yes, I hope your UK Xmas will be a great one! You might even get snow for Xmas!! Nice until it melts!!

That is just it Dell village life I miss someone to have a chat with as you peg your wash out or have a chat to at the shops, I miss Church on a Sunday morning, I have been to communion 2 times in 30 years shocking my mum would be so disappointed with me on that. I have told you my husband passed in 2014 and just 2 of my neighbours have said something to me, some say hello and others nothing that is what I find really weird about Oz and always have. A new neighbour moved in 3 month ago and I received a letter with my address but not my name so I went and knocked on the door to see if it was for them then I noticed a sticker on the window IF YOU HAVENT BEEN INVITED DONT KNOCK and don't come to the door the lady car was there so I tried again and left I put the letter in the recycle bin.