Pensions And Jobs In Perth

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi, we have been looking at emigrating to WA for over 2yrs, but we both have good jobs and we are just expected to give them up and go without a concrete offer of work in OZ. I am a nurse and i know i can get work, but my husband is a 48 yr old prison officer with 20 years experience and trying to secure a job of any worth appears impossible. Has anyone got any advice. Also we have been told we will lose 40% of our hard earned pensions, which will be taken by the OZ government, as this happened to anyone else. We visited Perth for a month in january 2006, it is fantastic, but the flies were a pain in the neck, are they there all year round? cheers helen.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi John, it appears the info i got was duff info. Simply we will only be taxed at a similar rate as the UK and only when we retire. To pay 40% we will have to earn as much as David Beckham, so we should be alright, cheers for your reply.

Guest joksand

Hi Helen

Can't help much with the Prison Officer job thing, except to say that I know I've seen ads in The West Australian recently for that type of work - not sure at what level though. Have you looked at thewest.com.au in the employment section?

Flies... you get used to them. There are very few around at the moment with it being winter, in summer of course there are more, but all houses have fly-screens and I find a hat and sunnies keeps them out of the places you don't want them to go. Believe me - I hate flies, but it really hasn't bothered me too much so far. The mozzies, however, are a pain in the neck!

All the best with your plans,

Jo

Guest Pinhead

I think the 40% you are refering to may relate to the gains on your personal pension pot if you don't transfer to Oz within 6 months of arriving. If you have an occupational, final salary scheme it doesn't apply.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Jo,

thanks for your reply, when we were there it was in January and one day we went to Mandurah which is a beautiful place by the sea and the kids played in the park over looking the marina and the flies were all over us. But as you say it is winter now in OZ and the flies are not as bad, i suppose we could get used to it like you have, cheers helen.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Pin, thanks for your reply about the pensions, the trouble with pensions is that they are so complicated, but i am sure that our hard earned pensions will be taxed similar as in the UK the only difference is that life in OZ will be alot sweeter than the UK, Helen.

It takes forever to transfer your nhs pension - they operate on slow speed, but it can be done. I was doubling up on service so by the time I left the UK had 28 years in.... so in my interest to transfer.

Ali

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi, CHEERS FOR ALL THE REPLIES IT APPEARS PENSIONS AND TRANSFERRING THEM MIGHT NOT BE AS DIFFICULT AS I WAS LEAD TO BELIEVE, YOU JUST BECOME PARANOID IN THIS COUNTRY DUE TO BEING TAXED TO THE HILT AND EACH GRASPING GOVERNMENT TAKING ALL THEY CAN. I HAVE LOOKED AT ALOT OF SITES AND DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH IS THE BEST, EASIEST VISA TO GO FOR, I WANT PERMANENT RESIDENCY AND HOW DIFFICULT IS IT DOING IT YOURSELF? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, HELEN-QUALIFIED NURSE 23YRS

Guest Pinhead

Getting a skilled independant visa is not difficult yourself assuming you qualify under the points system without a problem. I found the most dilfficult part was getting all the evidence together for the skills assessment which you would still need to do even if you used an agent.

If your situation is not so clear cut you may be better off using an agent.

Being a qualified nurse with several years experience, being young and speaking english means it shouldn't prove difficult in your case. Look at the immi.gov.au website for the details of the points system.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi, Again cheers for your great reply, we contacted an agent and they say it will cost at least £6,000 and i was just wondereing how difficult it was, cheers helen.

Guest Pinhead

It only cost me the visa, medical & police check fees so I saved a bundle. Total cost was around £1,100 in 2003 for a single person (forex rate was around 2.50 at the time!).

PS I am an ACCA qualified accountant with 10 years experience and a degree.

Hi, Again cheers for your great reply, we contacted an agent and they say it will cost at least £6,000 and i was just wondereing how difficult it was, cheers helen.

Given you are looking at a general skilled visa application, £6,000 for a nurse skills assessment and visa qualification is over the top (in my view).

Our fees for nurses (application to the ANMC and then the Department of Immigration) presently total £1,200 (plus VAT). Add the fee payable to the ANMC and the DIAC fee, and you are looking at under £3,000 (given present exchange rates).

Feel able to telephone our office in Southampton on 023 80 30 2525 - ask for Lorraine Beaumont.

Best regards.

hi there, the correctional services are recruiting just now. They usualy come of the employment pages fpor a few months then come back on again. Acacia prison just ouside of Perth is a private prison but wages seem ok. Bunbury alsohave a prison but they appear to advertice on the seek and au jobs web sites.

Were off to Perth tomorrow and i was contemplating returning to prison life so was in contact with them. If you look them up on the web you will be able to contact them and they will let u know what vacancies are being or will shortly be advertised. Good luck to you

A&A

Guest The Ropey HOFF
What nick did you work in? I worked at HMP Highpoint and HMP Chelmsford.

Helen, You have mail!

Hi, i work at HMP Leeds in Yorkshire. I have been there 20 yrs and fancy a change of scenery. If you find anything out about OZ overseas recruiting will you let me know. They say they are desperate for workers and they do very little to help you get there. Also how do you post a new thread, i can't seem to find it on this site, cheers jim & helen.

Archived