Where to start!

Pixie77

So decision is made. We move back next year. We are having house valued this week & seeing what work we need to do to it. Shipping company coming to give us a quote next week (chess).

Just looking for a bit of advice- we have 2 children - both Australian born & not registered in uk. How do I register them? My daughter will be 4&due to start school next September (if we're back by then) so we need to get that sorted too.

Any other advice about moving back is welcome ?

Apply for their UK passports is really all you need to do. Its easily done from Aus.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

You don't need to 'register' them in any sense really. Just the UK passport aspect is handy to get done and out the way. Plus for entering the UK without having the tourist visa on an Aus passport thing. If you are returning to live, I'd get the passports sorted now so they are good to go :)

Edited by Guest
eta

Hi @Pixie77 well done on the decision - I'm not totally across everything however I'm Australian born and English parents - so I recently applied for my British Passport online and was successful and it was relatively easy. Assuming your children are in same status as me. I've copied in link below from the UK website to apply for passport for the first time from overseas.

You will also need to colour copy their Australian passport and birth certificate and your marriage certificates and birth certificates. To prove their UK links. I ended up sending my originals too along with colour copies - it's an option. They say you don't have to but if they request it then it must be sent - as I was time constraint I did it straight up. Sounds like you're not so may be you just send colour copies to start with and see how you go.

You fill in the online application and make payment - then you get an email with link and go to it and print out the forms - which need to be signed and snail mail to UK along with the required documents. Given the nature of the documents I sent them registered post in satchel available at post office (and they send them back the same way). The passport is delivered via TOLL to your home.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/australia

How long have you been in Australia? is this move back to be closer to family. Just seems to be a few people doing it especially from Perth. But given the employment here it's little wonder. I'm moving to England for the first time as husband is English but been in Australia longer than England. Family getting older and we have no friends or close family here so he wants to be closer. I'm ready for a change even if it's stressing me.

We are going through the motions of getting big house and garden ready for sale as we speak and de-cluttering a house after 17yrs is not easy nor fun.

Hope the passport information is of some value to you, good luck x

Hi @Pixie77, yes definitely get passports sorted it is relatively easy and they shouldn't take long. We are moving back too. House is up for sale and I am already stressed because it hasn't sold-4 weeks on the market so I know I shouldn't be worried!! But you will find that once you have made the decision you will just want to move. I would de clutter, I have done this as (a) it gives you a better idea of what you are taking and (b) it is very liberating!! Chess came and did our quote and were fantastic. We are in Perth, not sure where you are but Paul from Chess is great. If you know where you are moving to and don't have a house have a look on rightmove.co.uk you can get a great idea of rentals available. I have also trawled through many posts on here to get hints and tips. It is funny as I was recently looking back at posts from 2007 when we came out here and recognise many user names that were just arriving too and are now on the moving back forum!! Good luck with the house valuation and if you want any further info just PM me.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We moved back 4 1/2 years ago with our 2 Australian born children and honestly there is nothing that needs to be done, we gave them a few weeks to adjust and then they went straight into the village school. No need for passports until they need to travel, our kids got their UK passports a few months ago because of a school trip. No need to do anything else really, just move back and enjoy. Good luck.

Thanks everyone

We've been on Adelaide for coming up to5years, loved it but haven't got the family or close friends that make life fun. Just told my parents- my mums so pleased but my dad thinks we're doing the wrong thing. So hard. I feel family pull & guilt & honestly they're not getting any younger. Hope financially were not making a big mistake but think I'd rather try it &see. Kids are young enough to adapt.

Considering the ways we can do it &whether it's worth shipping everything. Glad we don't need to register the kids.

Thanks everyone

We've been on Adelaide for coming up to5years, loved it but haven't got the family or close friends that make life fun. Just told my parents- my mums so pleased but my dad thinks we're doing the wrong thing. So hard. I feel family pull & guilt & honestly they're not getting any younger. Hope financially were not making a big mistake but think I'd rather try it &see. Kids are young enough to adapt.

Considering the ways we can do it &whether it's worth shipping everything. Glad we don't need to register the kids.

I think your parents feel the same way as mine, everytime I talk with my Dad he says never to come back all doom and gloom. Then again they are in Scotland, which I am not sure is a good or bad thing in the current economic climate.

Do you ever think you would come back, ping pong pom as the cost of relocating both ways can mount up especially if funding both trips yourself?

Would you consider renting your property out in Adelaide, as a backup in case you change your mind in a few years time?

Have you had any shipping quotes and consider if using a sole container verses a shared container, as this can have a big impact on delivery time.

Would you be thinking of shipping your car back, as if quite new not really going to cost that much extra and even the charges on some of the changes required in the UK are minimal.

I think your parents feel the same way as mine, everytime I talk with my Dad he says never to come back all doom and gloom. Then again they are in Scotland, which I am not sure is a good or bad thing in the current economic climate.

Do you ever think you would come back, ping pong pom as the cost of relocating both ways can mount up especially if funding both trips yourself?

Would you consider renting your property out in Adelaide, as a backup in case you change your mind in a few years time?

Have you had any shipping quotes and consider if using a sole container verses a shared container, as this can have a big impact on delivery time.

Would you be thinking of shipping your car back, as if quite new not really going to cost that much extra and even the charges on some of the changes required in the UK are minimal.

We're from north England so my dads the same- doom & gloom- he loves Australia.

We would love to rent house out but don't think we can afford it.

Haven't had an quotes yet but will be something to consider- thanks.

Not going to bother with cars as they're not new- will sell &use that money for flights

Not sure about the ping pong bit- we haven't explored due to young kids- so we would love to come back for that later in life- but who knows what the future holds! We will all be citizens so do have the choice.

What about you?

We're from north England so my dads the same- doom & gloom- he loves Australia.

We would love to rent house out but don't think we can afford it.

Haven't had an quotes yet but will be something to consider- thanks.

Not going to bother with cars as they're not new- will sell &use that money for flights

Not sure about the ping pong bit- we haven't explored due to young kids- so we would love to come back for that later in life- but who knows what the future holds! We will all be citizens so do have the choice.

What about you?

I am originally from central Scotland, but spent a large amount of time in SE England after I turned 18 then after a WHV with most time spent in Sydney, I did not want to go home. Opportunity at work came up and made the move to Melbourne. Again a new opportunity has arisen and moving again. Reading so many posts about people moving back to be closer to aging family and it really sinks in, how far far away Australia is from them and you miss the little things like quick visits.

I see you a SA based, the housing market there is flat from what I understand, so yes it may be worth your while selling and hopefully having some decent equity to transfer back to the UK with the low pound.

Think the best thing out of this for you, your kids now have an Australian passport which gives them opportunities in the future that most British children will ever have, if they want to move.

I am originally from central Scotland, but spent a large amount of time in SE England after I turned 18 then after a WHV with most time spent in Sydney, I did not want to go home. Opportunity at work came up and made the move to Melbourne. Again a new opportunity has arisen and moving again. Reading so many posts about people moving back to be closer to aging family and it really sinks in, how far far away Australia is from them and you miss the little things like quick visits.

I see you a SA based, the housing market there is flat from what I understand, so yes it may be worth your while selling and hopefully having some decent equity to transfer back to the UK with the low pound.

Think the best thing out of this for you, your kids now have an Australian passport which gives them opportunities in the future that most British children will ever have, if they want to move.

thanks. yes were gettibg house valued this week so we'll have more of an idea- we had a private sale so saved a few $$ so hoping to gain a bit on the house but who knows!

yes im glad the kids do have that opportunity in the future.

my aubts &unckes are aging &watching my cousins run round to look after tgem puts things into perspective. my parents are fit &healthy but in there 70s so now is the time.

Funny that, I told my folks that I wanted to move back, Mum was chuffed, Dad told me I was an idiot.

I think that's generally because English people are self depreciating and read too much daily mail. Aussies have it drummed into them that they are 'the lucky country' and their's is 'the best country in the world mate'.

how does a country become the best in the world? ive no idea what that even means! usually spouted by bogans whove never been outside of Australia.

English people view Australia as non stop sunshine, lazing on beaches with koalas all day, high fiving kangaroos as you head home for a dip in your pool after a BBQ.

Its just normal life, only generally with warmer weather, worse drivers and expensive beer. you still pay taxes, work most of the time and encounter not so nice people.

people get disappointed when they go to oz as their expectations were too high.

thanks. yes were gettibg house valued this week so we'll have more of an idea- we had a private sale so saved a few $$ so hoping to gain a bit on the house but who knows!

yes im glad the kids do have that opportunity in the future.

my aubts &unckes are aging &watching my cousins run round to look after tgem puts things into perspective. my parents are fit &healthy but in there 70s so now is the time.

You will not regret it. I had my last 3 years in Adelaide, and my father, who originally thought he liked Australia, spent 3 months in Adelaide and said he didn't know how i did it- he found the people insular and weird, the prices outrageous and it was the first time he thought us coming back was the right thing. I'm not saying it doesn't have good points, but I do not miss it one bit (which surprised me) especially the summer, which i hated in the end. Life is pretty similar in one first world country or another- we are blessed to have options. I do not regret it one bit as the 10 years i have had in Australia my parents have aged SO much and I just want to make the most of them now. Good luck!