Becoming a 457 sponsor walkthrough advice

sussex boy

Hi there. I run a small garage in the SW of WA. Have been looking for a while for a foreman type experienced tech who is used to working on euro car which is 75% or our work. Had zero success so far and wanted to maybe look at sponsoring someone in. But the business owners are unsure since it sounds complicated. Diac website seems to take you round and round in a circle. Appears I need to show receipts for training I sent the other guys on, market tested job?????? No one replied to add asking for VW or Renault experience.... Have contacted the local agent but they were very tight lipped. Any sensible links to article on first time sponsoring or advice would be really welcome.

Hi there. I run a small garage in the SW of WA. Have been looking for a while for a foreman type experienced tech who is used to working on euro car which is 75% or our work. Had zero success so far and wanted to maybe look at sponsoring someone in. But the business owners are unsure since it sounds complicated. Diac website seems to take you round and round in a circle. Appears I need to show receipts for training I sent the other guys on, market tested job?????? No one replied to add asking for VW or Renault experience.... Have contacted the local agent but they were very tight lipped. Any sensible links to article on first time sponsoring or advice would be really welcome.

Don't risk just using an article. Too many ins and outs to deal with. Get recommendations for a good agent who has dealt with the sponsoring side of the 457 before.

I done the SBS with my boss for a company whos turnover is around 4 million. at the time had 14 staff and a payroll of around $800k a year. So we had to find 8k a year in training and due to our business most of the training is offered free by the manufactures so It becomes hard to acheive this amount. I dont think sending staff on one /two day training really counts.

Our first application was withdrawn when our new accountant who had previously done a sbs advised us that it was terrible and would decline. She resubmitted the application a few months later when we had taken on a traineeship sales person, their salary covered the whole training benchmark.

My honest advise, I agree with Nemesis. Get a good MA for the SBS

Applying to become a subclass 457 sponsor and nominating a position can be a difficult process as you need to meet number of criteria, including Training Benchmarks, Market Rate, Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold, etc.

Each can be difficult to understand as they must be specific to your business, the position and the candidate and therefore generic checklists or "walk through advice" is offten ineffective.

Cheers all, i was very briefly on a 457 myself. I am trying to sell the idea to the owner of the business. I am more looking for a , "its costs this much, takes this long and this what we need to do" so I sound like I know what I am talking about. Very different being on the employers side of things. Even with the mining down turn we have remained very busy mostly because we work on BMW and Volvo's/ Audi etc.Finding someone with that experience has not been easy after our top guy left to start his own business.