Shipping a 11yr old Labrador

Emily

Has anyone shipped an older dog to oz? We hv had our dog since he was 8wks old...worried he is too old and he wont cope with heat/humidity of qld. Just dont know what to do... Leave him behind or take him. Family is already crying at thought of leaving him... Its so hard. We just want whats best for him at end of day [emoji22] [emoji190] [emoji22] [emoji190]

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-L01 using Tapatalk

I's discuss with your vet about your dogs overall health to travel the long distance. If they feel he is up to it, then discuss with some pet shipping companies the ins and outs and your concerns and let them explain the process to you in full so you can understand what it is your dog will be dealing with.

If he is good at travelling and in good health overall to be able to travel, I'd look into bringing him.

Bob from Pet Air posts on the forum and is very good to talk to :)

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air/

Depends on how well he is n how he copes with stress I guess but my worry of taking my older dog was what if we got to Aus and for some reason had to return to uk, that would be two trips for him and I didn't want to put him through that and all that upheaval if things didn't work out(plus the expense)...I also knew by his personality type that it would be stressful for him and more so as he wasn't a silly care free optomistic kid anymore! I felt he would have coped with the heat and there is lots of ways to keep them cool. I left him with family initially till I was certain I would be staying and I'm glad I did coz would have been bad for him initially. You and your vet will have a good idea how he will be.

Hi,

We are coming over next June (pending visa approval) and have 2 dogs, who will be 13 and 15 and a half. We worried whether it was the best thing but felt they would be more stressed with us suddenly disappearing from their lives than the flight and quarantine. Luckily they're 'sun' dogs and love the sun, so hoping they will enjoy their final years, in the sun :cool:

• Like 1

My theory - for what it is worth - is that older dogs actually travel as well as younger ones. The chance of them having a heart attack and dying is virtually zero. But as they are generally a bit more deaf and their sight is not as sharp as it once was, i think they are insulated from the noise etc of the flight. 11 years old for a Labrador is not super old, so as long as he is fit and healthy then go for it. there is no reason not to fly him.

Age is just a number - as i keep telling myself as i get older:) - if they are fit and healthy then there is no reason not to fly these pets.

My theory - for what it is worth - is that older dogs actually travel as well as younger ones. The chance of them having a heart attack and dying is virtually zero. But as they are generally a bit more deaf and their sight is not as sharp as it once was, i think they are insulated from the noise etc of the flight. 11 years old for a Labrador is not super old, so as long as he is fit and healthy then go for it. there is no reason not to fly him.

Age is just a number - as i keep telling myself as i get older:) - if they are fit and healthy then there is no reason not to fly these pets.

Hey bobpetairuk, how much would it be to ship him from uk to oz?

Thankyou [emoji190]

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-L01 using Tapatalk

Hi Emily

Arent you in Spain? we cant arrange a flight from Spain, but you can do the first bit of the vet work in Spain and then bring your dog to UK and fly him out of UK. Cost will be around £3500 approx for flight ticket and crate, but if you go to our website then we will do you a free quote more accurately.

• 5 months later...

Hi Emily,

What have you chosen to do with your labrador?

I'm in the same position as you. I have had my brown lab from when she was 5 weeks old. She is now 12,5 years old.... still full of energy, no health issues and is very adaptable to new environments. Australia would be her 4th country,( other ones were all within Europe) so she's never been on a long haul flight..

We had to leave Australia earlier than when she was allowed to enter the country under the quarantine rules so she is currently staying with friends of ours who have a young lab themselves and two small children. She is absolutely delighted. I get videos and photos all the time and it's almost like she has a new lease on life staying with them. She's so playful like I've never seen her before.. She has grown up with just two adults, no dogs and no kids so a pretty subdued existence, and although we are very active and take her for frequent and long walks, at home she pretty much just lazed around and slept or spent hours cuddled next to me. We have always worked full-time and therefore she always had a doggy-day care arrangement so she was hardly ever alone...

I feel like taking the decision to bringing her over would be purely for selfish reasons but the thought of leaving her with friends and me not being there during her retirement years and the feeling of abandoning her is heartbreaking for me..

I love her so much. Even as a puppy,  I said to my ex he can have the house but I take the dog :)..