Has anyone else felt like this?

Paulw87

I recently went back to the uk for a family funeral and have since returned to Brissie, right now I have the biggest home sickness/ loneliness I have ever felt since being out here.

I came out on my own around 2 yrs ago and all my family are back home, I've never felt like this before and right now all I can think of is heading back to the uk back to family and friends, I've got friends over here and an active lifestyle but I can't shake the feeling of not belonging here, also when I think of the future I.e marriage,kids etc I cant even think of having them here and being so far away from my family, it's a struggle at the moment just trying to cope with the reality that I'm a long way from home. It's weird because I've never felt this before as when I left before it was all exciting a new adventure etc, but now it's just an empty feeling that I've got.

has anyone else felt like this?

I recently went back to the uk for a family funeral and have since returned to Brissie, right now I have the biggest home sickness/ loneliness I have ever felt since being out here.

I came out on my own around 2 yrs ago and all my family are back home, I've never felt like this before and right now all I can think of is heading back to the uk back to family and friends, I've got friends over here and an active lifestyle but I can't shake the feeling of not belonging here, also when I think of the future I.e marriage,kids etc I cant even think of having them here and being so far away from my family, it's a struggle at the moment just trying to cope with the reality that I'm a long way from home. It's weird because I've never felt this before as when I left before it was all exciting a new adventure etc, but now it's just an empty feeling that I've got.

The feeling you are having seems to be fairly common with a lot of migrants. You are a single bloke with no ties so move back to where you will be happy and feel at home.

You only need to read the posts on 'Moving Back To The UK' to realise many other folk feel just the same way you do.

It's very, very common. We've had many discussions about it on these forums. I've never felt it myself, but some people do have a strong attachment to their homeland and their family - and if that applies to you, then living in a foreign country isn't for you. If, as you say, you can't imagine having a family and growing old in Australia, then don't stay!

You might want to consider hanging on to get your citizenship, as you never know when your future family might thank you for it. But that would mean hanging out for another 3 years - if you're really feeling bad, then just get home!

My advice is to go back because if you feel like this now then you may well feel much worse when you have responsibilities (wife, kids) and cannot simply book the next flight back. Enjoy the rest of your time, get citizenship if you want, do all the things you want to in the region and then get back home and build a life.

Thanks everyone for your replies

A lot depends on how tied down you are. If you can pack your life in a suitcase and jump on a plane, no harm done.

If you are selling a house etc, take some time, see if the feeling passes.

You don't want to cost yourself a small fortune over a bit of homesickness. But you might want to have a think about where you want to live.

Hi Paul - I was in oz for 7 years and frequently had those feelings. The way I dealt with it was treating my whole time there as an adventure and once I felt the time was right, to leave.

I could never see myself having a family there, although im a person that takes the easy way out of a lot of things and must admit, sticking through the tough times and loneliness actually did me good. as soon as I got PR, I could see the finish line and decided to stay. this made things a whole lot easier, as I had approx. 18 months to see and do everything I wanted before I got the passport.

I came home a few months back and feel content and at home - I may not have sunshine, beaches and the harbour but I have other things and crucially, no regrets.

I cant help but feel if you head home after 2 years, you will feel like you still had more adventure left in you.

p.s. steer clear of aussie women if you do stay as I did this a couple of times and the thought of having no option but to stay made me freak out a wee bit!

I felt like this after a year, after 2 years, and finally started to get over the home sickness and stop constantly thinking about moving back to the uk. Been here nearly 4 years now and now don't feel homesick like I used to. But England will always be 'home' and I am still undecided if I will move back (the thought is still there) but want you to know that for myself that empty/lonely feeling and homesickness does ease.

i found once I started to meet more people.. Doing sports was a good way :)

Yup. Got the t shirt!

Adventure is fun but when the adventure ends, move on. I enjoyed the adventure of Australia for about 25 years then it became obvious I was trapped there - argh, wrist slitting time!

So, best advice is that if you can't see yourself growing old and dieing there then don't let yourself get trapped by work, relationships, belongings etc.

We came back to UK for a holiday 5 years ago and just didn't go back - best thing I ever did but now I can face a return to Australia when the time comes without throwing up at least and hopefully a little sense of adventure again for a while.

Life is an adventure, not a sentence.

Archived