Stop migration to Melbourne?

starlight7

He's got a point. In our area vast acreage of farmland is now thousands of new houses and another two huge new suburbs are planned - but nothing is being done about the roads that just can't cope with the traffic. Immigration is really driving the economy and pushing up property values. My daughter's house in Carrum Downs has gone up so much in value due to demand from Indian immigrants who want to live near the Hindu Temple. Anyone who sees their property values rising rapidly won't be complaining about immigration levels.

Victoria is not on th state sponsorship any way....

But due to the developments in melbourne most 189 prefer coming here. ..

Also due to the good unis here there are more students flocked every year who finally become permanent residents....

For them to stop over population they first have to stop students. .. and that ain't happening. . As the unis revenue will deplete loans won't be paid and that will bring the economy more down...

Having said that the property prices will also drop if students stop coming as the rentals will stop. .

So I don't see it happening. .

Tom Elliot on the drive program at 3AW thinks this might be a good idea until better infrastructure is built. I think he has a point. The place is getting ridiculously overcrowded.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/tom-elliott/tom-elliott-stop-immigration-to-end-melbournes-crush/news-story/9322c6f9c8c2d3c31b33e40374bcbfb5

This is only possible if border security stops issuing ANY type of migrant visas to anyone for a period of time. .. automatically people will start moving out of Melbourne because growth is not going to stop. .. Other states will have a lack and may offer relocation prospects as people retire or opt out. .. in this way it would reshuffle the present job scene and slowly a void will form...

There by creating need for more migrants. ..

The void may also not form as the existing migrant families increase and start working, aussie may get self sufficient .. until some smarty develops option for living and colonising in central australia.

Having said all this from our perspective we did not think of the revenue. ..

If migration stops so does revenue. ..

In order for this to take place there has to be enough revenue in tourism or entrepreneurs visa so that it can Match the present revenue coming in...

A similar move to what the GULF DOES. ..

GULF says come work and open ur business in our country and we won't charge you tax nor will we give you citizenship..

But aussie laws want everyone to pay tax so again here we are back to square 1...

This won't be possible until policies Change.

Best regards

Nick

He's got a point. In our area vast acreage of farmland is now thousands of new houses and another two huge new suburbs are planned - but nothing is being done about the roads that just can't cope with the traffic. Immigration is really driving the economy and pushing up property values. My daughter's house in Carrum Downs has gone up so much in value due to demand from Indian immigrants who want to live near the Hindu Temple. Anyone who sees their property values rising rapidly won't be complaining about immigration levels.

Funding of new infrastructure may be the issue.

Local council is responsible for local roads and infrastructure so until the new areas are built and new residents moved in and started paying rates the money may not be there.

They may need the rates from the new residents before they can afford to build all the infrastructure.

You as an existing resident might object to funding all the new infrastructure for the new residents.

Having lived in Melbourne for over forty years I can say that nothing has changed. Infrastructure has always been on the back burner. I have never understood why they build housing estates and then think, oh we need infrastructure. Take where I live up the road there are now three schools. When we moved here 30 years ago we were told a school will be built up the road. My children were 5 and 6 then. My children had grown up been to uni and got on with their lives and we then had a school built. Same with the roundabout that was needed between the schools they attended. The year after my daughter left high school they put the roundabout in.

Sorry the migrants will come, the houses well get built but then we are on our own to get to a school, work etc.

Government borrowing money despite they can do so at much lower interest than private are very "dirty words". I am alright Jack rules here.

Tom Elliot on the drive program at 3AW thinks this might be a good idea until better infrastructure is built. I think he has a point. The place is getting ridiculously overcrowded.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/tom-elliott/tom-elliott-stop-immigration-to-end-melbournes-crush/news-story/9322c6f9c8c2d3c31b33e40374bcbfb5

How could you actually stop migration to a particular city though? Not really possible

We hear the same stuff in Sydney, and you hear it in any major city. Cities are dynamic, they change, people move there and things get built, that's what made them cities in the first place

I can't speak for Melbourne but many of the complaints in Sydney about infrastructure lagging don't stand up to scrutiny. In terms of infrastructure, lots is being spent on railways (new Metro), lots is being spent on roads, there are 3 new hospitals being built and a dozen or so new schools. What people (here) usually mean is they just don't want the city to grow and in some cases even change, and that's just not realistic

How could you actually stop migration to a particular city though? Not really possible

We hear the same stuff in Sydney, and you hear it in any major city. Cities are dynamic, they change, people move there and things get built, that's what made them cities in the first place

I can't speak for Melbourne but many of the complaints in Sydney about infrastructure lagging don't stand up to scrutiny. In terms of infrastructure, lots is being spent on railways (new Metro), lots is being spent on roads, there are 3 new hospitals being built and a dozen or so new schools. What people (here) usually mean is they just don't want the city to grow and in some cases even change, and that's just not realistic

Numbers did decline during the nineties with Primer Carr stating Sydney was full. A proactive policy encouraging migrants towards other localities did in that instance have some impact.

As long as he stops Australian-born citizens from moving there as well...

As long as he stops Australian-born citizens from moving there as well...

That's a very good point as Melbourne is experiencing very strong interstate migration too. Part of the problem is when we make attempts to work on the infrastructure the whining never stops about those delays either....

Archived