Administrative Jobs in Melbourne or Sydney

Annoisa

Hi everyone,

I am living in South Australia and thinking to move to Melbourne.

I have done degrees overseas but for current qualification did my Diploma in Business and Certificate III in financial Services from TAFE South Australia.

I just need to know what are prospects of getting job, I am ready to do volunteer work for experience and did some reception work as volunteer in Sa too.

So should i think that I ll be able to get job in Melbourne?

Secondly should we with three kids search any odd job like in a factory and then rent a house or search a house first and then search job there?

How is it living in Melbourne or in Sydney?

we are confused in moving to another state but Job opportunities are much low in SA so need it.

Wishes,

annoisa

Edited by Annoisa

The issue you need to look atoms cost of living against income. There are a lot more jobs in Sydney and Melbourne. But, cost of living / rents are also very high and Sydney in particular has the same issue as London. Jobs don't necessarily pay enough for people to live. Particularly a family.

Although as I have pointed out to Marissa who has made this argument as well it is not really borne out by the statisitics.

Sydney is the largest city in Australia with 5 million people and Melbourne is probably the fastest growing city in Australia.

People are moving there and it provides a range of accommodation to people from expensive to cheap.

London is also the fastest growing region in the UK with many more people moving there to live than other centres in the UK.

So it is certainly possible and thousands are doing it every year.

Melbourne is a great city to live and I think the job opportunities would be greater than Adelaide.

Edited by parleycross

For Admin jobs, your salary will probably be on the low end of the scale. What does your partner do, hopefully that would bump you a fair bit?

Rentals, esp 4 bed house, you will find to be pretty expensive unless you are prepared for a long(er) commute. Have you taken a look to see what your budget will get you and how far out you are willing to live. Do you have a budget in mind, as people could comment on locations to look at?

While the job market is definitely better in Melbourne and Sydney, competition is still tough and may not be as easy as you hope. Depending on what your partner does and how much they think they could get, Sydney could probably be out of your price range.

I would search domain.com.au, to get an idea of the properties and how much you could afford first. Since you have children, this some what complicates things as you would not like to disrupt them too much by moving areas and then re-schooling them. As such, I would find an area you would like to live in first, then tackle the job market.

As for living, Melbourne is a nice city, lots to do, good public transport during the day and at rush hour(not great late at night, but not bad). Lots of changes happening of late, far too many small apartments being built. Weather from what I understand is not that much different from Adelaide.

My first visit to Australia was spent in Sydney, loved it. Now I have been back and lived in Melbourne and visited Sydney, gotta say Melbourne wins hands down. Yes Sydney maybe have the beaches and weather, but as a city it does not compare. You have to take into account how much your budget will stretch, as in Sydney you may find you cannot afford to live within a reasonable distance to the beach to make the most of it.

Although as I have pointed out to Marissa who has made this argument as well it is not really borne out by the statisitics.

Sydney is the largest city in Australia with 5 million people and Melbourne is probably the fastest growing city in Australia.

People are moving there and it provides a range of accommodation to people from expensive to cheap.

London is also the fastest growing region in the UK with many more people moving there to live than other centres in the UK.

So it is certainly possible and thousands are doing it every year.

Melbourne is a great city to live and I think the job opportunities would be greater than Adelaide.

I think most people know what VeryStormy means. Of course people on average salaries manage to live in London - but they do it by squeezing into tiny flats, or living in slums, or by living w-a-a-y out on the edges of the city and commuting for long distances. So while their cost of living may be manageable, their quality of life is poorer compared to a cheaper city.

There are perfectly nice suburbs on the outskirts of any city, but a long commute is not something most people relish. Moving from Adelaide to Sydney, the OP would have to make a massive compromise in standard of housing or commute times and probably both. Melbourne less so, but there is still a difference in the cost of housing - plus of course the sprawl of the city is vast compared to Adelaide. So she needs to do her research to make sure it's within her budget.

I am living in South Australia and thinking to move to Melbourne.

So should i think that I ll be able to get job in Melbourne?

Secondly should we with three kids search any odd job like in a factory and then rent a house or search a house first and then search job there?

How is it living in Melbourne or in Sydney?

It would not be too expensive to visit Melbourne from Adelaide, I suggest you go there and take a look at the city.

Check out domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to understand what the cost of renting is like.

I don't know if it's because you are posting from a phone, but it sounds as if English is not your first language? Maybe that is the reason you are having trouble finding an admin job in Adelaide? If that's the case, you may not find it easier in Melbourne.

Admin jobs in Melbourne are much in demand and you will have a lot of competition for the job. If English is not your first language as has been said you may find it much harder. Admin in Melbourne these days most good jobs are held by people with university degrees and you will be in competition with those. Out on the outer areas there is also high demand for admin jobs from married women. I am not saying that you should not move to Melbourne but I don't think prospects here would be any different from any of the Australian cities at the present time. There are jobs, however there are a lot of people going after them.

Thanks everyone!

yes English is not my first language but if I can do volunteer job giving full 8 hours as a receptionist in a community center why am I not able to do a job in same role?

It looks as discrimination to me, but I never seriously applied for job till now. Started thinking about it after my hubby decided to shift to any other state.

With three kids we get benefit in rent and their expenses so if only my husband works we are good to go.

For rent issues here we are paying 1200 for a three bedroom house and what i saw a good 2-3 bedroom house minimum rent will be starting from 1600 dollars per month which is not much difference.

We are not much in partying type persons only go out when kids want to go. So our cost of living is much low than others around us. Our friends having same job are living hand to mouth my husband manages money in sensible way so God keeps us on track.

One family from our neighbors shifted Melbourne they were also not from an English country, person has good job experiences and is giving interviews daily, interviews went well too but getting no job. Do you think again problem is English? It means immigrants from non english background should be hopeless for good jobs?

Rest someone said crime rate and accidents are more in Melbourne than in Sydney. (it does nt mean that Adelaide is accident free or crime free zone :)

So its better to live in big city with kids as I see better schools in Melbourne and I have lived in melbourne for 2 weeks and it looked better to me in terms of houses and schools. I didn't try to see job market there though.

Kids ask for more fun places i hope they ll be far more in Melbourne than in Adelaide.

For shifting to Melbourne we need lot of money to get a separate house as if you are new in state you need to pay advance rent for two to three months along with bond.

wishes

annoisa

Edited by Annoisa

Thanks everyone!

yes English is not my first language but if I can do volunteer job giving full 8 hours as a receptionist in a community center why am I not able to do a job in same role?

It looks as discrimination to me...

It's not discrimination. A business wants to be sure its customers can understand the person they are speaking to. It is bad for business if their customers can't understand the person serving them! So they want to employ someone who has a clear voice and speaks good English. If they can't find someone like that, then they'll consider someone whose English is imperfect, but only if they are stuck.

I am sure your English will keep improving and meanwhile, you may be able to find work that does not have face-to-face contact with customers.

The crime rate and accidents are not more in Melbourne than in Sydney. All cities have nice areas and rough areas. In Melbourne you will be able to live in a nicer area, in Sydney you may have to live in a rougher area because rents will be too expensive in better suburbs.

We did not have to pay advance rent and we are new in Melbourne.

It's not discrimination. A business wants to be sure its customers can understand the person they are speaking to. It is bad for business if their customers can't understand the person serving them! So they want to employ someone who has a clear voice and speaks good English. If they can't find someone like that, then they'll consider someone whose English is imperfect, but only if they are stuck.

I am sure your English will keep improving and meanwhile, you may be able to find work that does not have face-to-face contact with customers.

The crime rate and accidents are not more in Melbourne than in Sydney. All cities have nice areas and rough areas. In Melbourne you will be able to live in a nicer area, in Sydney you may have to live in a rougher area because rents will be too expensive in better suburbs.

We did not have to pay advance rent and we are new in Melbourne.

Thanks Marisa I am preferring to pursue doctorate here in Australia and go for job after few years.

For renting a house can you please share the name of agency through which you got the house?

We have three year lease history, local references and also good bank statement for renting a house.

Wishes!

Annoisa

You can drive across to Melbourne in a day from Adelaide, so why not buy a cheap tent and plan a trip over there to check the place out? You can spend a few days in the city and visit some recruitment agencies - with admin work it sometimes helps to start as a temp, or covering a short term contract, so both you and the employer can see if the job suits you, so that might be a way in.

You can drive across to Melbourne in a day from Adelaide, so why not buy a cheap tent and plan a trip over there to check the place out? You can spend a few days in the city and visit some recruitment agencies - with admin work it sometimes helps to start as a temp, or covering a short term contract, so both you and the employer can see if the job suits you, so that might be a way in.

Thanks Diane,

I ll do that and check it before shifting.

Wishes