Where is popular to retire in Australia?

Beaty

No I'll stick with climbing onto the roof and howling at the moon, I think is about as far in orbit I wish to go.

You know you might get lucky. I suspect long before the last man event women will be coupling primary with themselves. Hence being the last chance salon in a matter of speaking, you may well prove an object of curiosity. Women may well avail themselves and more than likely voice astonishment, not to say horror, that their sisters from another age, somehow found such activity rewarding, even fun.

I am not bothered about them having fun:wink:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm afraid I detest the term' live life to the full'. It has similarity with the constant pressure to act busy all the time. Somehow this is supposed to give validity to life. Insane I suggest. Just gobble gook of this century.

The term I prefer is to live life as one see's fitting. If that involves sitting by the fire place reading all the works of literature one has missed out on or simply reading thrash novels so be it. Retirement should be the time to choice and not having that time dictated by outside concerns.

..........personally I prefer to fill my life with experiences......the term just a phrase.....like it or not...

...........and time enough when it becomes one of the forced limited choices to sit and read....

...........better IMO.....to sit and enjoy the memories of things achieved,places visited and experiences enjoyed...

...........retirements enjoyment ofteten dictated by the life lived before IMO...

............no regrets of opportunities not taken.......just a continuation of good choices....

I recall now you mention it. Not long ago then. Probably better to save it for a little longer. Nowhere besides UK interests you for a visit though?

I have a friend who wants to spend her 65th birthday exploring Cambodia and has asked me and another friend if we'd like to go. That's in January when it should be a bit cooler and drier there.

I agree certainly at the moment. But doesn't it depends largely on the stage of requirement? A lot change I feel, as the ageing process accelerates. Still I feel stimulation would be a necessary ingredient in those years. Nothing worse I fear, than people in age getting together with little to communicate besides aches and groans.

There's a group of retirees down at our local beach about 7am every morning, summer and winter. They go for a swim about 1km or so, more in summer, then go and have coffee and cakes and a natter for a couple of hours. That would keep me fairly happy in retirement with something to look forward to every day.

I've seen them go for a swim when I would have been giving it second thoughts, has to be really rough to put them off.

I don't think they spend too much time talking about aches and pains and always seem happy to have a laugh with younger people.

Way to go when you get older I reckon. More spare time and as long as the body holds out I'll be doing sporting things that I do now.

I know a lot of people don't like sport but if you do we are in the right place for a decent retirement. Can't think of anything worse than being a grey nomad, living in a van. Much rather stay in the house we have, with the friends we have, in an area I know I enjoy.

I have a friend who wants to spend her 65th birthday exploring Cambodia and has asked me and another friend if we'd like to go. That's in January when it should be a bit cooler and drier there.

An easy enough country to explore. Quite a few in their fifties living there. Some older obviously as easy and getting easier to remain in retirement. For tourism an easy place but do go before the wet sets in. Laos is another worth exploring.

There's a group of retirees down at our local beach about 7am every morning, summer and winter. They go for a swim about 1km or so, more in summer, then go and have coffee and cakes and a natter for a couple of hours. That would keep me fairly happy in retirement with something to look forward to every day.

I've seen them go for a swim when I would have been giving it second thoughts, has to be really rough to put them off.

I don't think they spend too much time talking about aches and pains and always seem happy to have a laugh with younger people.

Way to go when you get older I reckon. More spare time and as long as the body holds out I'll be doing sporting things that I do now.

I know a lot of people don't like sport but if you do we are in the right place for a decent retirement. Can't think of anything worse than being a grey nomad, living in a van. Much rather stay in the house we have, with the friends we have, in an area I know I enjoy.

All good depending what turns you on. I wasn't thought the grey nomad thing was an attractive proposition, but would more likely go elsewhere now. I personally wouldn't stay at home the entire time. As for swimming, used to do it most mornings when lived down south. Although did cease operations for a couple of months over the height of winter, but endeavoured to get back in routine come 1 September. I didn't find much of a social scene beyond nattering on the beach though. Most went about their business and went home. The retirees usually arrived a little later, I imagine lingering for cake and coffee possibly more their scene.

..........personally I prefer to fill my life with experiences......the term just a phrase.....like it or not...

...........and time enough when it becomes one of the forced limited choices to sit and read....

...........better IMO.....to sit and enjoy the memories of things achieved,places visited and experiences enjoyed...

...........retirements enjoyment ofteten dictated by the life lived before IMO...

............no regrets of opportunities not taken.......just a continuation of good choices....

You can't beat experience. Something I always said. Travel and expanding the mind. Literature, language interesting company and music does it for me. Not a sports person or particularly a club joiner. Certainly don't need to be busy for the sake of either.

Archived