Top 3 reasons for Wanting to/Returning to the UK

Franklin05

For us, we have thought about this lone and hard. What is it that is driving us to go back to the UK, back "Home" The main thing is that after 7 years, we all still class the UK as home.

If that's how you feel, I don't think you need any other reason to go back.

There are two reasons to migrate - one is to have a great adventure, and the other is to move to another country and make it your lifelong home.

Unfortunately too many people end up with a third way, which they never articulate but which is in the back of their minds - "I'll stay here while the going's good, but eventually I'll go home." That is not a feasible plan unless you're rich. Work all your life on one country, then try to retire in another, and you'll pay the penalty in higher taxes and a much reduced pension. It's only going to get worse in the future as governments add more restrictions. So if you're going to keep going, be aware that you're making a commitment to Australia for life. If that fills you with dread, I'd head home sooner rather than later.

I'm one of those who've settled happily in Australia to the point where it feels more like home than the UK does. And Bristolman is a good example of someone who's had the same experience - originally Australian, he is now happier in the UK than in Oz. So it can happen and that's the way it should be - but if you've been in Australia for 10 years and it still doesn't feel like home, I doubt it ever will.

Edited by Marisawright

Lack of footpaths to walk on. We've lived in some suburbs where footpaths don't exists at all. Found that very difficult, especially with a new born baby in a pram in a very hilly area.

I've not come across lack of footpaths but I hate the way some idiots park their car across the footpath with the front of the car just into the house driveway leaving no room at all on the footpath. I remember having to push the pram/stroller onto the street to get round the car. :mad: Have seen it everywhere - Perth, Sydney and here. Should be illegal.

However it wasn't enough to make me want to return to the UK. :cute:

Edited by JockinTas

Got to agree with this. I'm single with no debt, but enough savings to get back to the UK and then what? Try living in the UK on meagre savings and job hunting at the same time. Expensive business. I'm applying for jobs at the moment, but there will soon come a time when I need to go home without and hope my savings hold out.

My reasons for going back are the

1) The 21st Centrury!

2) Culture

3) Friends and family

My sister now is battling breast cancer and that has pretty much sealed the deal. I just need to get a job :err:

I'll never overtly bag Australia, it's got A LOT going for it it really has. But after 7 years here, as with many - it doesn't feel like home. That said, I never 'emmigrated' here anyway. I came over for an adventure with an open mind about staying. I haven't regretted one minute.

Sounds like there's a few people who are in the process of planning the move back; interesting. I will be in a similar position to @bristolman (I think) where I will be an Australian, and moving to England for my husband's family. Unfortunately the financial side of it will be against us, especially as I'm in my late 40's, as @Marisawright talks about - but family, family and family is the driver. I am looking forward to a new way of living (not the house side of things as I do prefer Australian big houses and native birds I will miss).

But onwards and onwards. From the reading I'm doing on this forum it does seem the lifestyle and opportunity to see and do more will be a bonus in England. I do get upset thinking about leaving my home town and the best beaches in the world, in my opinion and the native wildlife. I will never run Australia down and it does have some downsides but each country and town will always have it's pros and cons, I guess it's what you do with it while you're there.

Very sorry @Lady Rainicorn about the RA, I have had family with this and get myself tested from time to time due to immune problem I had. Feel for you. Hope you get good care over in Scotland x

Sounds like there's a few people who are in the process of planning the move back; interesting. I will be in a similar position to @bristolman (I think) where I will be an Australian, and moving to England for my husband's family. Unfortunately the financial side of it will be against us, especially as I'm in my late 40's, as @Marisawright talks about - but family, family and family is the driver. I am looking forward to a new way of living (not the house side of things as I do prefer Australian big houses and native birds I will miss).

But onwards and onwards. From the reading I'm doing on this forum it does seem the lifestyle and opportunity to see and do more will be a bonus in England. I do get upset thinking about leaving my home town and the best beaches in the world, in my opinion and the native wildlife. I will never run Australia down and it does have some downsides but each country and town will always have it's pros and cons, I guess it's what you do with it while you're there.

Very sorry @Lady Rainicorn about the RA, I have had family with this and get myself tested from time to time due to immune problem I had. Feel for you. Hope you get good care over in Scotland x

Thank you, that is very much appreciated, NHS Scotland is very good and I have been in remission now for two years, long may it last!

I hope that you settle in England, how you talk about Australia is how I feel about Scotland - I missed the houses (when I see Australian houses or streetscapes it literally makes me shudder), I missed the landscape, the wildlife, the foraging. It is 100% about being different not better or worse and your happy memories tied up with what is familiar.

That said I lived perfectly happily in Hamilton Hill near Fremantle for several years and a video from my sons old school sent to me recently had my stomach doing somersaults and brought tears to my eyes!

We didn't really come back for family on either side as my wife only has more distant family now. We came to England for the lifestyle, the people, the convenience of travel and really just the country. We actually have a bigger house here in England and an added bonus is it isn't being eaten by termites lol

• 3 weeks later...
Look, do what you gotta do, as I keep saying, once you have the means (cash / visa status) you can live anywhere.

Australia might be suitable for a while, back to the UK for a while back to Australia.

It's this notion that anyone in Australia has moved to the Moon that gets me.

It's a day in a plane...

If you want to go to UK, go to UK, if you want Australia, it's there for you.

B

how long have you lived in Australia for?

with respect, its not just a day on a plane. its thousands of in airfares and most of your annual 20-day leave standard in aus.

for the most, it may aswell be on the moon.

Yes it is a fairly strange thing to say really, yes technically it is a day away but as you say that is just the start of it.

I think it gets harder as you get older. I can understand a young professional saying it's only a day away - they can afford the fare, and the jet lag bothers them less so it seems realistic to pop over for a week or two.

But once people have a mortgage and a family, suddenly it's four air fares instead of one, and money is tight already. It's such a huge cost, and such a logistical nightmare to undertake that journey with kids, it's not worth doing unless you make it a "real" holiday so you've got to manage to get a few weeks' holiday off in one chunk, which isn't always easy to do. And that means no more holidays that year.

It's really no wonder so many people end up doing it every five years if that!

I think it gets harder as you get older. I can understand a young professional saying it's only a day away - they can afford the fare, and the jet lag bothers them less so it seems realistic to pop over for a week or two.

But once people have a mortgage and a family, suddenly it's four air fares instead of one, and money is tight already. It's such a huge cost, and such a logistical nightmare to undertake that journey with kids, it's not worth doing unless you make it a "real" holiday so you've got to manage to get a few weeks' holiday off in one chunk, which isn't always easy to do. And that means no more holidays that year.

It's really no wonder so many people end up doing it every five years if that!

This is spot on.

In five years weve been back twice. The first time we had 3 weeks (all we could get off work). After the flights, day or two to get over jetlag etc. you've really only got two full weeks. In that time we ran around like lunatics trying to see everyone, we had 'slots' to see people etc. Awful, in fact we came home exhausted and of course couldn't take any more holiday for a year!!

Second time we went for 3 months - completely different story and enjoyed every minute of it, I actually slipped back into UK life very quickly. Its not easy to wangle such time off work etc and once kids are in school etc. you cant really be doing it, but... Trip to UK every year May - August would be the dream for me:cool:

This is spot on.

In five years weve been back twice. The first time we had 3 weeks (all we could get off work). After the flights, day or two to get over jetlag etc. you've really only got two full weeks. In that time we ran around like lunatics trying to see everyone, we had 'slots' to see people etc. Awful, in fact we came home exhausted and of course couldn't take any more holiday for a year!!

Second time we went for 3 months - completely different story and enjoyed every minute of it, I actually slipped back into UK life very quickly. Its not easy to wangle such time off work etc and once kids are in school etc. you cant really be doing it, but... Trip to UK every year May - August would be the dream for me:cool:

We used to go back for 6 weeks in the school summer holidays every two years. The first time - like you - was spent trying to visit everyone. After that, anyone who wanted to see us came to visit us at Mum's place. Much more enjoyable and stress free. After Mum died (20 years ago) I went back on my own about every 4/5 years. OH isn't interested so I go on my own.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Family, for myself and for my young children growing up, that extra layer of love, support and depth.

2) Friends, proper old friends who know you, your family and are genuinely interested in you/your family. Asking questions about life before Aus which is who I am/what made me the person I am today. Friends you actually have interests in common with other than you are both 'poms'...therefore you will surely get on!

3) Sense of belonging, and being able/happy to commit to something long term and put down roots. Something i've always been reluctant to do here.

and if i had to add 4th it would be seasons/changes/variety in weather, activities, food, clothes, scenery, tha optimism that spring brings, the summers where it feels like time goes on forever then theres autumn and all its colours, then xmas...a proper xmas!