Advice on life in Brisbane...

aconcannon

My hubby & I live a few km from Manly in Sydney & are very much enjoying living the Aussie dream in a laid back beachside suburb, however, with the expensive property prices in Sydney & us planning to start a family in the near future we know that we need to think about making the move north where we can actually get out of the renters market & afford to buy a house to raise a family in.

We've always thought we'd end up on the Gold Coast, we like it there & it gives us the beachy outdoors lifestyle we've become accustomed to & has enough bars, shops, restaurants etc to entertain us on weekends. I do worry though that we may not find work so easily & even though we're used to commuting to work in Sydney it's becoming tiring now & we'd ideally like to avoid that when we move.

From a career point of view everything is pointing towards us moving to Brisbane - I work in marketing & my husband is a CNC Operator / mechanical fitter & turner.

We've not really considered it properly because it's not on the coast & a 'city life' isn't really what we want. Yes, I know there's the city beach which we've enjoyed spending time on our holidays in Brisbane & yes we could travel to the Sunshine or Gold Coast on weekends but it's not the same as living on the coast.

Has anybody ever made the move between Sydney & Brisbane? Are there actually any nice beachy areas within a close enough commute to the CBD that anybody could recommend us looking into? What about Bribie Island, does anybody have any advice on living there?

Any advice on how to live on the coast & work in Brisbane without a huge commute would be massively appreciated! I'm guessing achieving all of this probably isn't possible but I'm hoping somebody will tell me it is :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hubby & I live a few km from Manly in Sydney & are very much enjoying living the Aussie dream in a laid back beachside suburb, however, with the expensive property prices in Sydney & us planning to start a family in the near future we know that we need to think about making the move north where we can actually get out of the renters market & afford to buy a house to raise a family in.

We've always thought we'd end up on the Gold Coast, we like it there & it gives us the beachy outdoors lifestyle we've become accustomed to & has enough bars, shops, restaurants etc to entertain us on weekends. I do worry though that we may not find work so easily & even though we're used to commuting to work in Sydney it's becoming tiring now & we'd ideally like to avoid that when we move.

From a career point of view everything is pointing towards us moving to Brisbane - I work in marketing & my husband is a CNC Operator / mechanical fitter & turner.

We've not really considered it properly because it's not on the coast & a 'city life' isn't really what we want. Yes, I know there's the city beach which we've enjoyed spending time on our holidays in Brisbane & yes we could travel to the Sunshine or Gold Coast on weekends but it's not the same as living on the coast.

Has anybody ever made the move between Sydney & Brisbane? Are there actually any nice beachy areas within a close enough commute to the CBD that anybody could recommend us looking into? What about Bribie Island, does anybody have any advice on living there?

Any advice on how to live on the coast & work in Brisbane without a huge commute would be massively appreciated! I'm guessing achieving all of this probably isn't possible but I'm hoping somebody will tell me it is :-)

Bribie is quite quiet from the few times I've been there, and the journey time isn't much shorter than to the Sunshine Coast, but you have to factor in that the traffic to Brisbane is pretty horrendous in rush hour which starts from about 6am.

I'll let others recommend any other areas.

Bribie is quite quiet from the few times I've been there, and the journey time isn't much shorter than to the Sunshine Coast, but you have to factor in that the traffic to Brisbane is pretty horrendous in rush hour which starts from about 6am.

I'll let others recommend any other areas.

Doesn't sound like Bribie Island is for us then! Definitely don't want to be commuting any more than about 30 minutes & living somewhere quiet doesn't really appeal to us either. Do you live in Brisbane?

Does not exist for your 30min commute, nor would I think any CNC operator jobs exist in the city. May I suggest you look for where the work is and then search from there!

May I further suggest for the Gold Coast beaches the Northern end of the Gold Coast council area, this would on a good day give a 30min commute to the city and also GC beaches would also give you a 30min trip to the larger industrial areas of Goodna/Rocklea/Richlands. For the Northern beaches then maybe where the Gateway/Bruce highway meet then Eagle farm industrial area and the City maybe 30min Redcliffe beaches closer and sunshine beaches maybe 45 min.

good luck

I live in Brisbane, we commute to the beach at the weekend when we desire. There's loads of beaches within 1 -1 1/2 drive to choose from. The only realistic beachy, cafe area you can commute from would be redcliffe. I go there reasonably regular for a walk but live much closer to Brisbane CBD.

Bribie is a great beach but it's not exactly Manly, its a quiet place that is inexpensive to live but doesn't have any buzz and is a bit bogan in spots.

Just live in Brisbane and visit the Goldie, Sunny, North Stradbroke Island even Byron bay whenever you desire.

If you are seeking Sydney or Gold Coast style beaches on your doorstep and a 30 minute commute from the city then I don't see how Brisbane is going to cut the mustard with you unfortunately. Personally I love the Moreton Bay coastline and find it much more interesting with views across to all the islands than simply a surf beach but it seems you know what this is like and it doesn't float your boat.

If you are seeking Sydney or Gold Coast style beaches on your doorstep and a 30 minute commute from the city then I don't see how Brisbane is going to cut the mustard with you unfortunately. Personally I love the Moreton Bay coastline and find it much more interesting with views across to all the islands than simply a surf beach but it seems you know what this is like and it doesn't float your boat.

Thanks for your comments @Gbye grey sky. We're not fussy on what type of beach we live near, neither of us surf so we don't need a surf beach, we literally just enjoy living by the ocean, doing coastal walks, having a swim when we want & just that 'holiday' vibe you get when you live in a coastal area. Is Moreton Bay a suburb of Brisbane? How far is the commute from there into the city? It's definitely an area we'd explore if it meant living by the coast & not having to commute far to get to work

I live in Brisbane, we commute to the beach at the weekend when we desire. There's loads of beaches within 1 -1 1/2 drive to choose from. The only realistic beachy, cafe area you can commute from would be redcliffe. I go there reasonably regular for a walk but live much closer to Brisbane CBD.

Bribie is a great beach but it's not exactly Manly, its a quiet place that is inexpensive to live but doesn't have any buzz and is a bit bogan in spots.

Just live in Brisbane and visit the Goldie, Sunny, North Stradbroke Island even Byron bay whenever you desire.

We've talked about doing that & I fear it's what we'll end up doing, however, city life isn't for us. I can walk to the beach in 10 mins from where we live now & we love it, to think we'd have to drive an hour or more to get to one just doesn't really appeal but I guess we might have no option if work on the Gold Coast is too hard to come by

Edited by aconcannon

We've talked about doing that & I fear it's what we'll end up doing, however, city life isn't for us. I can walk to the beach in 10 mins from where we live now & we love it, to think we'd have to drive an hour or more to get to one just doesn't really appeal but I guess we might have no option if work on the Gold Coast is too hard to come by

Walking distance to a beach with the holiday vibe will cost a fortune even at the Gold Coast, most people living there won't be within walking distance of the beach either.

Adelaide and Perth are probably the best options for this, but even then the affordable beachy suburbs will be a fair way out and more residential than cosmopolitan like Manly.

I will say Brisbane isn't really City living in the Sydney sense, I live 5k's out of the CBD and could be in a quiet town, spacious, leafy and quiet. I was at theSunny Coast this week, the drive is very straight forward outside rush hour. Also I stay in hotels at the Sunny/Goldie multiple times a year for long weekends, it's very affordable and have more disposable income than if I was in Sydney/Melbourne.

Maybe try renting at the Goldie in a dream location to try and get a job, can always commute to Brisbane if that's where you find work and move on in the future?

Walking distance to a beach with the holiday vibe will cost a fortune even at the Gold Coast, most people living there won't be within walking distance of the beach either.

Adelaide and Perth are probably the best options for this, but even then the affordable beachy suburbs will be a fair way out and more residential than cosmopolitan like Manly.

I will say Brisbane isn't really City living in the Sydney sense, I live 5k's out of the CBD and could be in a quiet town, spacious, leafy and quiet. I was at theSunny Coast this week, the drive is very straight forward outside rush hour. Also I stay in hotels at the Sunny/Goldie multiple times a year for long weekends, it's very affordable and have more disposable income than if I was in Sydney/Melbourne.

Maybe try renting at the Goldie in a dream location to try and get a job, can always commute to Brisbane if that's where you find work and move on in the future?

Thanks @lastonealive we pay silly money to rent where we live on Sydney'd northern beaches, and when we've looked at nice coastal suburbs on the Gold Coast the rent is a lot cheaper so money doesn't bother us so much it's more the possibility of having to commute into Brisbane for work should we end up being based on the Goldie.

Pleased to hear city living isn't comparable to Sydney city life. If you can recommend any particularly scenic Brisbane suburbs please that I could research that would be great. We don't want to be in a suburb where the nearest place to go for dinner or drinks or a nice walk means driving 20 mins up the road. I guess we like to be where it's all happening without being in a concrete jungle

Thanks @lastonealive we pay silly money to rent where we live on Sydney'd northern beaches, and when we've looked at nice coastal suburbs on the Gold Coast the rent is a lot cheaper so money doesn't bother us so much it's more the possibility of having to commute into Brisbane for work should we end up being based on the Goldie.

Pleased to hear city living isn't comparable to Sydney city life. If you can recommend any particularly scenic Brisbane suburbs please that I could research that would be great. We don't want to be in a suburb where the nearest place to go for dinner or drinks or a nice walk means driving 20 mins up the road. I guess we like to be where it's all happening without being in a concrete jungle

Depends on what kind of budget/housing type you are looking for. Best one's for cafe/restaurants would be in my opinion:

New Farm,

Teneriffe

Bulimba,

Newstead,

Paddington,

Albion,

Ascot,

Hamilton,

Nundah,

West End,

Rosalie,

Greenslopes

Mitchelton,

Auchenflower,

Wilston,

Probably missed some. I live near the Albion precinct and regularly go for dinner/drinks round there. Huge park along the Kedron brook you can walk along for miles and not feel you are even in a city.

Depends on what kind of budget/housing type you are looking for. Best one's for cafe/restaurants would be in my opinion:

New Farm,

Teneriffe

Bulimba,

Newstead,

Paddington,

Albion,

Ascot,

Hamilton,

Nundah,

West End,

Rosalie,

Greenslopes

Mitchelton,

Auchenflower,

Wilston,

Probably missed some. I live near the Albion precinct and regularly go for dinner/drinks round there. Huge park along the Kedron brook you can walk along for miles and not feel you are even in a city.

Excellent thanks! Ideally a 2/3 bed house with a pool would be what we'd want & we'd have a budget of around $750 per week max, but of course that depends on if we find work matching our current salaries! I'm hoping we will & that it's a myth what people say about salaries outside of Sydney being considerably lower. Where we live now is a rather upmarket & cosmopolitan suburb so keeping inline with that would be good! I'll Google each of those suburbs to find out a little more / thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Manly and Wynnum are closer to the city than the area I live (Wellington Point) and are by the coast. Not 'beachy' but some lovely walks in the area along the seafront and plenty to do. Get a bit more for your money over in the Bayside too, compared to some of the places lastonealive listed (although, I would love to live in some of those suburbs!) but it is quieter over here.

Manly and Wynnum are closer to the city than the area I live (Wellington Point) and are by the coast. Not 'beachy' but some lovely walks in the area along the seafront and plenty to do. Get a bit more for your money over in the Bayside too, compared to some of the places lastonealive listed (although, I would love to live in some of those suburbs!) but it is quieter over here.

Exactly the area I was going to suggest. As there are no beaches there they are overlooked by many but they are right by the coast and not a bad commute into Brisbane CBD (especially as they're both on a train line) or an easy hop onto the M1 to go down to the Gold Coats or up to the Sunshine Coast.

You would be hard pressed to find anything comparable to Manly within an easy commute to Bris. Brisbane is a nice City though, I think the climate is better than Sydney and it's a bit more relaxed and laid back. There are some good 50m outdoor pools for a swim, not the same as the beach I know but not a bad substitute.

We live very close to a gorgeous beach in Perth and have Hillarys boat harbour about 5 mins away so I know what you mean about living near the ocean. Can't beat it and 10 minutes away is just not the same. Have you considered Perth? It's very doable to live in a beachside suburb with pubs and restaurants near and be 30 minutes from the City. Pretty good public transport too.

You would be hard pressed to find anything comparable to Manly within an easy commute to Bris. Brisbane is a nice City though, I think the climate is better than Sydney and it's a bit more relaxed and laid back. There are some good 50m outdoor pools for a swim, not the same as the beach I know but not a bad substitute.

We live very close to a gorgeous beach in Perth and have Hillarys boat harbour about 5 mins away so I know what you mean about living near the ocean. Can't beat it and 10 minutes away is just not the same. Have you considered Perth? It's very doable to live in a beachside suburb with pubs and restaurants near and be 30 minutes from the City. Pretty good public transport too.

@Paul1Perth. Life living near the ocean is amazing hey, not sure I could ever happily give it up! Brisbane does have a river...and a city beach so maybe I'd adapt?! We'll see, need to get back up there & do some more exploring first!

To be honest Perth has never been on our radar. We've visited twice & although it's very pretty it didn't appeal to us, one of the main reasons being how isolated it is to the rest of Australia & the cost of flights in & out seem to be extortionate so sadly Perth is a no go for us...nice place for a holiday though :)

@Paul1Perth. Life living near the ocean is amazing hey, not sure I could ever happily give it up! Brisbane does have a river...and a city beach so maybe I'd adapt?! We'll see, need to get back up there & do some more exploring first!

To be honest Perth has never been on our radar. We've visited twice & although it's very pretty it didn't appeal to us, one of the main reasons being how isolated it is to the rest of Australia & the cost of flights in & out seem to be extortionate so sadly Perth is a no go for us...nice place for a holiday though :)

Know what you mean mate, we've just returned from a holiday in Port Douglas & Cairns. Only Jetstar do a direct flight to Cairns and it's overnight. Loved Port Douglas.

When you live in WA for a while you realise there is much to see without going out the state. It's gorgeous down South and we've only been as far North as Kalbarri yet, so still plenty to see.

• 3 weeks later...

we live 20 mins from the city, 1 hour from gold coast and 1.15 from sunshine coast. currently in Birkdale and have just bought a house in Redland bay.

it does have beaches but they are more like bays. some of the good suburbs you could look at here are wellington point, Ormiston, Cleveland, Victoria point, manly west and Birkdale.

theres a large English background here too with 2 british fish and chip shops, a proper English curry place called the spice avenue and 2 English shops that sell English goodies.

Excellent thanks! Ideally a 2/3 bed house with a pool would be what we'd want & we'd have a budget of around $750 per week max, but of course that depends on if we find work matching our current salaries! I'm hoping we will & that it's a myth what people say about salaries outside of Sydney being considerably lower. Where we live now is a rather upmarket & cosmopolitan suburb so keeping inline with that would be good! I'll Google each of those suburbs to find out a little more / thanks!

2 to 3 bed house, you can forget nearly all of the areas listed unless you add 50% to your budget. Bulimba, Ascot, Paddington are some of the most expensive, West End, Hamilton, Newstead etc are mostly high rise.

Best set of luck in your search.

S