Name on passport and visas

Lassie

I didn't take my husbands name when we married so I've never had that issue.

Can you not get the name changed on your passport for free or a small fee one you marry? It makes more sense that if you are changing to your husbands surname that you change it on all official documents like DL, passport etc plus things like bank, bills etc. Otherwise why change your name if you are going to keep using your maiden name on things. It will get confusing trying to keep up with who you've informed or changed it or not done so.

Either all or nothing IMHO. Then apply for the visa in whichever name you are going to be using. Easier in the long run else you'll have to notify them of new passport etc if they grant a visa on your old one, which isn't difficult but not needed if you change over properly from the off.

Iam getting married next week and planning on changing my surname to my Aussie partners.

Will this be a problem however when we apply for visas? With the name in my passport being different?

Thanks in advance

With the name in your passport being different to what? If you take on your OH's surname then you need to change your name on all your official documents and various accounts. It's pretty easy to do although it does take some time to get through everything. It's just like changing your address when you move house except it's your name you are changing instead.

But we we.are applying for the Partner visa pretty soon after we are married so won't have time to change name on passport?

Surely it doesn't take months to get a name changed? If you are ready and planned you can submit the name change a day or two after you marry and get it back pretty quick?

Or check and see if you are lodging online if you can upload your passport scan a bit later once you get your passport back.

Snifter

Really? I would have thought any passport related things would take a long time. Doesn't it involve posting it off and waiting for it back/getting a new one?

Mine is a UK passport and we are in Canada.

We have time refraints as my fiance's Canadian visa expires in November and we want to get partner visa lodged before then from here in Canada.

We are then planning on travelling to Australia

Or don't change it and lodge under your current passport/name, wait till your visa is granted and then change/update your passport and update Immigration with the new passport info.

But if you are taking your husbands name then you really need to consider the implications of only changing it on some things and not all. A passport is IMHO the most important thing to update if you do change your name.

Edited by Guest
eta

Thanks snifter.

What would you suggest is best? I did want to take his name but will do whatever is the best.

If I do take his name and can't get passport and everything changed in time, does that mean I won't be able to apply for visas?

I'm not sure I I'm sounding really dense but everything to think about is getting a little on top of me now and giving me anxiety.

I'm also fretting about the Medical for the Partner Visa. Will I have time to get that done in Canada? I heard they don't request it straight away :S

Thanks snifter.

What would you suggest is best? I did want to take his name but will do whatever is the best.

If I do take his name and can't get passport and everything changed in time, does that mean I won't be able to apply for visas?

I'm not sure I I'm sounding really dense but everything to think about is getting a little on top of me now and giving me anxiety.

I'm also fretting about the Medical for the Partner Visa. Will I have time to get that done in Canada? I heard they don't request it straight away :S

If you are travelling to Aus in November then chances are you'll undertake the medical there as I doubt a CO will be requesting one so early on. Off shore applications are usually done by people remaining outside of Australia and therefore staying in the country they lodged from or perhaps travelling elsewhere.

Can I ask why you are not lodging an onshore application? In your situation (from the things you've said that I have read) it makes more sense to me to lodge onshore.

ETA - I think I already said you could lodge on your current passport and name and then change it all later once the visa is granted and you can inform immigration of your new name and passport info properly. Form 929 iirc.

I'd not half change it right now though. Change it and notify everything and everywhere and use your married name or keep your maiden till the visa is all sorted and then change everything.

Edited by Guest
eta

What do you mean by 'half change' I don't have many other things to change. After we leave Canada I won't have a driver's license anymore, surrendered UK driver's when I got canadian one.

We cannot apply onshore for partner visa. As I have no visa for Australia. I will only be travelling there on a visitors . This is correct?

What do you mean by 'half change' I don't have many other things to change. After we leave Canada I won't have a driver's license anymore, surrendered UK driver's when I got canadian one.

We cannot apply onshore for partner visa. As I have no visa for Australia. I will only be travelling there on a visitors . This is correct?

I was out walking my dog.

You can apply on shore off the back of a tourist visa. Read the partner visa thread, well more recent pages of it, see peoples timelines in sigs, lots of people apply onshore.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/58449-summary-spouse-visa-processing-times-offshore-uk-please-add-your-stats-1396.html

Okay. I was under the impression it was sort of illegal to do that.

Okay we are going to Vegas tomorrow. When we get back we are going to seek a Australian migration agent here in toronto.

I am struggling to understand what the issue is here. If you want to change your name, change it everywhere and write to people and let them know. It is not that hard, millions of us have done it before you.

I had the same issue many years ago.

Apply for the visa in your maiden name, using the passport in the same name.

Then apply for a new passport (if you really want to change your name, you don't have to)

Supply copy of new passport to DIBP,highlighting name change

Visa will be issued in the new name as it MUST match the passport.

I you're in a rush you can apply with your current passport (and current name since it does need to match your passport) and submit a change of details when the new passport arrives (which will be long before the visa is issued as Partner visa's take months to process).

I you're in a rush you can apply with your current passport (and current name since it does need to match your passport) and submit a change of details when the new passport arrives (which will be long before the visa is issued as Partner visa's take months to process).

This is a possibility but would we run into problems on the application as the marriage certificate would have new name,?

i got married last year and we have yet to make any changes to my wife's name on any formal documents. It certainly not a requirement for the partner visa application. you could always do it later once you have your visa, its just an extra form to fill in so no big problem. You can get the visa sorted, get to Australia then get everything changed, i got my new UK passport in a two week turnaround from sending back the application from Darwin to the passport office in Liverpool

This is a possibility but would we run into problems on the application as the marriage certificate would have new name,?

Your certificate will have your maiden name.

If you are stressing you won't have time to update your passport with your married name before you apply, don't do it and stop stressing. That is the key thing here. So don't take your husbands name yet, hold off, keep everything in your maiden name and lodge your application in your maiden name. Its pretty simple :) Then once the visa is granted you can update/change your passport to your married name and then fill in the form 929 to notify immigration and have your visa linked to your new passport.

Or, you can do change it beforehand during the partner visa wait if you want and the visa will be granted to your new passport. I'd check though on being in another country without an actual passport if you are on a tourist visa. Not sure you are supposed to be overseas living as it were and be without a passport while waiting for a new one (unless its lost or some such then it would be an emergency travel doc or some such issued to get you back to the UK). There might be implications or problems doing this. As in you'd be on a tourist visa and would have to notify immigration to have that visa linked to the new passport and that might not be ideal, I don't know. Its a thought that crossed my mind as people don't usually change their name in their passport when in Aus on a tourist visa.

Decide what is easiest for you during the visa application and go with it. Personally, I'd either get the new passport done before applying or wait till the partner visa is granted and then change it all over name wise but that is me. The 3 week timeframe is current afaik. You have double that and a bit more from what I can see on your timeline.

I also still don't get why you are applying offshore and then heading to Aus on a tourist visa a couple of months after lodging. You can't stay there the entire time on a tourist visa to wait out an offshore partner visa grant. Not if its taking a year plus offshore. Plus you would have to go offshore again for the visa to be granted so more costs. On shore application is viable if you've been together a while and are married I would think and you would go onto a bridging visa when the tourist visa runs out and you'd have full work rights on it. Read up on it.