looking for some help and advice on trying to get into oz. Please help

Gene

Hi to all poms.

I'm looking for some guidance and help myself and my wife really really want to start a new life on the sunshine coast but we are really struggling to find ways to get over been looking for a while now and not to sure what to do so this is where i need the help and guidance of the people who have been in my shoes and are now living the dream down under.

I'm currently 28 years old i didn't do well in school got no qualifications. I joined the army in 06 and served 4 years in that time i got a nvq in mechanical engineering level 3 and a licence to drive tracked vehicles. I left in 2010 and now I'm a slinger/signaler also have a appointed persons ticket and half way through completing a nqv diploma level 4 in control in lifting operations (lift/crane supervisor)

I have been thinking of starting a new career in electricians but I've heard its hard work to get the tickets needed to get qualified in oz.

Now i really want to start something new that will give me the right qualifications need to get a permanent visa for my family to live in oz.

What are your view and advice on my situation now i have applied for a visa before and been told I've not got the right qualifications needed.

I have a mortgage and working full time and have our 1st baby due in feb so its hard but needs must for a better life

I know you probably get sick of answering the same questions over and over but i really need some help please.

looking to do a trade to get me the golden ticket into a better life.

Thanks everyone for looking.

Hi to all poms.

I'm looking for some guidance and help myself and my wife really really want to start a new life on the sunshine coast but we are really struggling to find ways to get over been looking for a while now and not to sure what to do so this is where i need the help and guidance of the people who have been in my shoes and are now living the dream down under.

I'm currently 28 years old i didn't do well in school got no qualifications. I joined the army in 06 and served 4 years in that time i got a nvq in mechanical engineering level 3 and a licence to drive tracked vehicles. I left in 2010 and now I'm a slinger/signaler also have a appointed persons ticket and half way through completing a nqv diploma level 4 in control in lifting operations (lift/crane supervisor)

I have been thinking of starting a new career in electricians but I've heard its hard work to get the tickets needed to get qualified in oz.

Now i really want to start something new that will give me the right qualifications need to get a permanent visa for my family to live in oz.

What are your view and advice on my situation now i have applied for a visa before and been told I've not got the right qualifications needed.

I have a mortgage and working full time and have our 1st baby due in feb so its hard but needs must for a better life

I know you probably get sick of answering the same questions over and over but i really need some help please.

looking to do a trade to get me the golden ticket into a better life.

Thanks everyone for looking.

First, visa

At the moment it is unlikely you have a skills that is eligible. However, if may be worth speaking to a migration agent to see if there is any path available.

The he issue with retraining is first, it will take a long time. For example, you mention electrician, well that is a 3 year apprenticeship and then you would need 3 years post qualification experience. Now, the lists change regularly and so you could find the occupation is no longer on the list.

Lastly though, what makes you think it will be a better life? I think all who have done it would say it is no better, just different. You still have to work (hard, possibly longer hours and no better pay), you still have to clean to toilet and do the shopping and all the other stuff.

Why do you think its a better life Gene? I think you need to retrain for a job that they need, only problem is that when you are qualified and have enough experience that job might be low on the list,its going to take you a long time but you are young and have plenty of time. You will also need 2 incomes to survive unless you are really well paid in your job and childcare aint cheap.

Edited by Perthbum

Why have you picked the Sunshine Coast? If you've been watching Wanted Down Under, then be aware that it's very misleading. They show people houses on the Sunshine Coast but don't tell them that work is hard to find there. Then they take them to research work opportunities in Brisbane, but they don't tell them that it's too far to commute from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane!

As others have said - Australia will only accept people who have the skills and experience they want. Right now you have neither, so it will be a long road to get the qualifications, and then get the experience. Then you'll need about 30,000 pounds to finance the application fees, air fares, shipping, and getting yourself set up.

We've all grown up thinking of Australia as a land of opportunity where you'll be able to afford a nicer house, have a more laid-back lifestyle, and more money. But Australia has changed a lot since I arrived. Most people have to live in the big cities to get work, and you can't afford a big house in the big cities. Unemployment is rising and is now higher than the UK. You get less holidays (4 weeks a year) and hours are longer. There are good things about it too - but if you're going to waste the next six or seven years of your life focussed on trying to get to Australia instead of making the best of life where you are, it's really not worth it.

Much as I love living here there is no doubt that Marissa is 100% right.

My advice would be to find a trade that you want to do, not what you believe might give you some 'golden ticket'. Enjoy your baby when he/she arrives next year and focus on making the best of things where you are.

There is nothing wrong with having a dream of 'a better life' but you would be well-advised to put Australia and The Sunshine Coast to the back of your mind, live in the here and now, by all means try to build up a savings pot, and, who knows, 10 years from now you may have the qualifications, skills, savings, and experience to give it a go if you still want to.

It is not a guaranteed better life here by any means. People work hard and very long hours in the main.