Huge new city planned between Brisbane and Gold Coast

Lambethlad

They discussed this on ABC Brisbane this morning. After all the hype they had the Chair of the Gold Coast Planning Committee on. While they have designated it a zone of interest, there are a lot of challenges which may not make this potential development economically viabel. These include flooding and the soil type which is not conducive to building. The provision of all the standard services such as roads, power and sewage outside of the existing metropolitan footprint will also be costly. All this when it is state policy to try and encourage development outside of SE QLD, I'm not sure this will go ahead.

They discussed this on ABC Brisbane this morning. After all the hype they had the Chair of the Gold Coast Planning Committee on. While they have designated it a zone of interest, there are a lot of challenges which may not make this potential development economically viabel. These include flooding and the soil type which is not conducive to building. The provision of all the standard services such as roads, power and sewage outside of the existing metropolitan footprint will also be costly. All this when it is state policy to try and encourage development outside of SE QLD, I'm not sure this will go ahead.

I believe similar things were said many years ago about Springfield to the west of Brisbane, gee but look at it now! Centenary highway, rail line, hospital and uni, and still growing. Also Brookfield, Bellbird park now virtually joining onto it and Ripley a little further out will no doubt eventually link up.

It won't happen without foreign money. That Chinese bloke is pretty keen and a billion would be small change to him. If it is prone to flooding they would just create a network of canals and charge a fortune for waterfront property. I don't know if the Disneyland would ever happen - there's enough theme parks already.

It won't happen without foreign money. That Chinese bloke is pretty keen and a billion would be small change to him. If it is prone to flooding they would just create a network of canals and charge a fortune for waterfront property. I don't know if the Disneyland would ever happen - there's enough theme parks already.

In Canberra :wink:

They tried that in Perth and built the monstrosity that is Joondalup. Supposed to be the second City here in WA but its more like a large housing estate with a shopping centre stuck in the middle!

I don't think the Aussies quite get what a city should be! Certainly not in WA anyway!

An opportunity truly lost. You are totally correct in your summing up. No idea why an interesting, liveable urban landscape appears beyond planners here.

An opportunity truly lost. You are totally correct in your summing up. No idea why an interesting, liveable urban landscape appears beyond planners here.

What are your favourite new Cities?

Quite possibly because the greenies have a big say.

Personally, I think any city that has unique wildlife in it, should be very careful not to kill that wildlife off...Koalas, especially!

Cheers, Bobj.

Quite possibly because the greenies have a big say.

Personally, I think any city that has unique wildlife in it, should be very careful not to kill that wildlife off...Koalas, especially!

Cheers, Bobj.

Not too many koalas of course in Joondalup. More to do with developers and allowing them to get off lightly. The original conceptual plan did sound quite progressive from memory, with Perth metro's first mixed urban business living plan.(along European lines) The end result though was definitely left wanting with just another auto reliant structure with more residences built closer to transport nodes and shops, more as an after thought.

I believe similar things were said many years ago about Springfield to the west of Brisbane, gee but look at it now! Centenary highway, rail line, hospital and uni, and still growing. Also Brookfield, Bellbird park now virtually joining onto it and Ripley a little further out will no doubt eventually link up.

I was thinking about this, though one difference now is the huge amount of urban densification that has been taking place with units and blocks being split to put 2 or more, larger, houses on the same plot. There's an awful lot more availability of residential accommodation now within the existing urban area, and much of it (the units at least) is about to see an interesting amount of price correction. The one big draw of a new large scale residential development is cheaper housing, and if there's a lot of affordable stock flooding the market in existing areas it's less likely that people will chose to move.

I was thinking about this, though one difference now is the huge amount of urban densification that has been taking place with units and blocks being split to put 2 or more, larger, houses on the same plot. There's an awful lot more availability of residential accommodation now within the existing urban area, and much of it (the units at least) is about to see an interesting amount of price correction. The one big draw of a new large scale residential development is cheaper housing, and if there's a lot of affordable stock flooding the market in existing areas it's less likely that people will chose to move.

This densification is more developer driven with councils blessing as both make to gain, I think you will find the price per SqM is more on the smaller lots, but still strongly pushed as affordable housing.

This densification is more developer driven with councils blessing as both make to gain, I think you will find the price per SqM is more on the smaller lots, but still strongly pushed as affordable housing.

Definitely - that's how the developers make their money. I'm just wondering with young people less willing to drive and put up with the commute and a ready supply of relatively inexpensive, albeit smaller, units and housing in the existing cities whether they will be prepared to move out to suburbia as previous generations were?

A bunch o' sugar farmers who reckon they they've had all the govt grant and think they smell a killing in their old age, no matter how you spruik it there aren't enough migrants who want to live in a swamp.