Letting house whilst in Oz ?also keep it as our address

drstu

Hi All,

We're travelling on a 457 and are letting our UK home.

For electoral roll/banks etc I am not sure if I should just leave our permanent address as it is (at our home that will be let) and simply set up a mail divert, or change it to for instance my parents address.

I'd be interested to hear what others have done.

Thx and best wishes,

Stu

Hi All,

We're travelling on a 457 and are letting our UK home.

For electoral roll/banks etc I am not sure if I should just leave our permanent address as it is (at our home that will be let) and simply set up a mail divert, or change it to for instance my parents address.

I'd be interested to hear what others have done.

Thx and best wishes,

Stu

I would change it to my real address.

I would change the essential mail to parents' address and try to cancel most other things (ie, Tesco club card etc etc!). I've used the redirect a few times and it's not at all reliable, therefore not a good idea to use for bank/finance correspondence. Also, you'd have to rely on the tenants keeping your mail safe (if I were a tenanct, I would be happy to do this if asked, but in my experience, a lot of people just don't give a sh*t!).

As Bungo says, just use your real address. We've had pur Australian address(es) with the bank and electoral roll no problem.

Mmm I am really baffled why people are bothering their family members by having their mail sent there and presumably sorted and resent on when it could just be sent directly to them in the first place...

We changed our address to a parent's address for most bank, insurance and other financial organisations because (we found) it was becoming too problematic to try use an Australian address.

Most financial institution are required to guard against fraud and money laundering and have a raft of prohibitive rules that make it very difficult to change to an overseas address. I tried changing bank details but the website required proof that I'd informed HMRC of my new tax status etc. etc. Given the difficulties of even contacting anyone at HMRC (especially from overseas) I gave up.

To be honest, the banks and insurers were becoming so 'difficult' I was starting to worry that just having an overseas address at some time was enough to get you branded as an "international money launderer" !

I changed my address to my mum's to start with, but then we moved in with her for 7 weeks before moving overseas so it made sense. It also meant I had a bit of leeway with changing my address to my new address overseas. It took me over two years to get round to changing the address for my bank and my UK pension. When I first moved I couldn't change my address for my bank account to an overseas address online so I just left it for another day. By the time I went to inform my bank of my new address in Australia I was actually able to put the overseas address in online.

Mmm I am really baffled why people are bothering their family members by having their mail sent there and presumably sorted and resent on when it could just be sent directly to them in the first place...

Laziness!

While you're still in the UK, you have no idea what your Australian address will be. So to guard against correspondence going astray in the first few months, you need to give a temporary address, and then change it again when you find your permanent home. Much easier to switch it to a family member's address in the first place, and then you don't have to change it again.

Also, as another poster alluded to, it's becoming difficult to change to an overseas address with some institutions, especially banks. Much easier to give them an alternative UK address (especially for a 457 who will be coming home again), than jump through all the hoops to get a foreign address accepted!

We were zealous about cancelling subscriptions, switching to online statements etc, so there would be hardly any mail going to my sister's address, so it wouldn't be a hassle for her.