RE: Shipping Items

mrbradley1

We intend to emigrate to Australia in November and was wondering is it worth shipping over the beds, table and settee, tv etc?

Our intention is to rent a holiday home for 4 weeks just until we can find jobs, then hopefully rent. So wondering is it worth the extra costs for the shipping or just buy when we're there?

Well yes, shipping is typically less expensive than buying everything new. But you need to decide if most of your stuff is ready for a replacement and most of us have personal items we want to ship anyway. There probably isn't really enough information to comment on what is right for you.

Edited by Bungo

Thanks. I suppose the biggy for us is, the settee and our bed have pretty much had it. So we need new ones. its whether we buy here and ship or buy there. We've already got a permanent visa. Runs out September 2017. We're hoping to get jobs and schools for the kids. then hopefully there shouldn't be an issue renewing this while we are there (providing we can show we are contributing to the economy).

If we were to do it again then we would not have bought our sofa (had to leave the other due to lack of space). Everything else yes, definitely as it removes the added stress of buying again. It really depends if you like your furniture, if IKEA stuff then leave and replace, if antiques of hard to find items then definitely bring them over.

It it is a personal choice.

S

I think it is very much a personal decision. When we came we brought a lot of our furniture as it was either reasonably new (beds, lounge suite, dining suite) or antique and handed down through the family and had strong emotional meaning. We did sell/give away a lot of basic IKEA and other furniture and household items. We didn't bring any large electrical items like washing machine, fridge, dishwasher, TV etc, but kitchen appliances were all less than a year old so they made the journey.

Thanks. I suppose the biggy for us is, the settee and our bed have pretty much had it. So we need new ones. its whether we buy here and ship or buy there. We've already got a permanent visa. Runs out September 2017. We're hoping to get jobs and schools for the kids. then hopefully there shouldn't be an issue renewing this while we are there (providing we can show we are contributing to the economy).

I generally thing shipping is a good idea. But I wouldn't buy to ship, if you are buying anyway, wait until you get there.

If your furniture has "had it", then don't take it - but there's absolutely no point in buying stuff to ship. Australia is a civilised country, we do have furniture shops!

I'm curious about your mention of your visa expiring and needing to renew it - if it's a permanent visa then you don't need to renew it, it stays valid forever. What expires is your right to re-enter the country if you leave. So if you need to go abroad on holiday after Sept 2017 you just need to apply for a Residents Return Visa, and if you're living in Australia then you'll have no problem getting one.