417 to 457 disadvantages?

Steven Terwindt

Hi,

My company has offered me a position in Melbourne and would like to have me there as soon as possible.

Since the 457 visa takes up to 3 months to be granted, they would like to send me over on a 417 visa (working holiday) immediately and request my 457 when I'm in Australia.

Are there any disadvantages of having a 417 visa instead of a 457 visa in terms of taxes, healthcare, finding a rental apartment etc.?

Thanks!

Steve

Hi,

My company has offered me a position in Melbourne and would like to have me there as soon as possible.

Since the 457 visa takes up to 3 months to be granted, they would like to send me over on a 417 visa (working holiday) immediately and request my 457 when I'm in Australia.

Are there any disadvantages of having a 417 visa instead of a 457 visa in terms of taxes, healthcare, finding a rental apartment etc.?

Thanks!

Steve

How do they know it will only take 3 months? what if it takes longer? What if it is refused?

I'm on a WHV and No they pretty much similar in regards to all them points you mentioned. You may find renting an issue through a agency but I didnt have any issues. Points to note;

1) 417 has a 6 month employee limitation so you make sure they apply for your visa asap.

2)no health insurance is required for 417 and while your here you can get medicare if you have a UK passport and this is sufficient for your 457

3) you need to be under 31 to apply for 417

4) A 417 is not intended for this purpose maybe do some holidaying before staeting work

6) make sure you base salary is at least 54000 a year

5) Make sure your job is on the csol list

Good Luck ;)

How do they know it will only take 3 months? what if it takes longer? What if it is refused?

Good point Nemisis, I guess it will be a short stay then. Assuming the visa will be granted on time and I won't be kicked out after 6 months, are there any other disadvantages I should take into account?

I'm on a WHV and No they pretty much similar in regards to all them points you mentioned. You may find renting an issue through a agency but I didnt have any issues. Points to note;

1) 417 has a 6 month employee limitation so you make sure they apply for your visa asap.

2)no health insurance is required for 417 and while your here you can get medicare if you have a UK passport and this is sufficient for your 457

3) you need to be under 31 to apply for 417

4) A 417 is not intended for this purpose maybe do some holidaying before staeting work

6) make sure you base salary is at least 54000 a year

5) Make sure your job is on the csol list

Good Luck ;)

Thanks for info Samson! Doing some holidaying before is a good one

Good point Nemisis, I guess it will be a short stay then. Assuming the visa will be granted on time and I won't be kicked out after 6 months, are there any other disadvantages I should take into account?

You may find it hard to get a long term lease/rental - a 417 is usually a backpackers visa, rental agents won't expect them to stay around long.

And as already said, if the 457isn't granted in 6 months you've got problems.

Presumably you qualify for a WHV (417) - not arriving with dependents, under 31, etc

Hi,

Thanks!

Steve

My understanding was that from 1st July 2016 the WHV holders would all be paying tax at the higher non reisdent rates and would lose the personal allowance. A massive impact on tax, however I have not kept up to speed as I am not in the country any more and maybe that plan was axed or put on hold.

The other disadvantage is that the WHV is a once in a life time visa and if you were always intending on some travel to Australia, it means you are effectively wasting it. If you came over on a 457 and the job didn't pan out but you wanted to stay, the WHV would be just what you need to buy time to make other plans. Yours will have gone though, just because your company are impatient. So unless you think you would never have considered using the WHV had it not been for this opportunity, I would think hard about whether you should just make them wait and keep the WHV for your convenience not theirs.

You can't bring any dependants on a WHV.

There is no obligation to take any holidays while on a WHV - you can work for the whole twelve months if you wish, provided you don't work for more than six months with one employer.

If you're single I can't see any reason not to come on the WHV. They'll just need to be quick off the mark with the application for the 457 so it's all sorted before your six months runs out.

Wrussell is an MA and what he said is correct.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

http://www.ajurialawyers.com.au/blog/working-holiday-visas-and-the-6-month-work-limitation/

http://sydneymovingguide.com/switching-to-a-457-visa/

http://www.vsure.com.au/hiring-temporaryvisaholders-in-australia-how-to-avoid-the-pitfalls/

https://newsletter.australianmigrations.com/2016/03/22/know-your-visa-conditions-8547-work-limitation/

Ive been told once a 457 application is lodged you can request the limitation to be lifted, it does not automatically start clock again. I am in this boat right now hence why I have been googling my life away on the issue.

I dont know who to beleive seems even MA's interpret things differently!

Edit: I realise not all the links posted at that of Registered MA's

Archived