Driving in the uk Aus licence ?

Jemvin

Easy to exchange licences and insurances look more favourably on you if you have a UK licence. You might want to get evidence from your Aus insurer of your NCB status, some UK companies apparently take that into consideration but insurance can be tricky.

Hi Jemvin

I think you can drive on your Aussie for 12 months, and after that swap over to a UK one. Not sure if written test is required but I will look into it.

Insurance wise, I couldn't be bothered with NCB so went to Direct Line and insured a Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee for £536 for the year. Aviva and Admiral from memory had similar pricing - and that was with full NCB. Do a few online comparisons and have a look to see what suits your own situation.

PS - unless you are buying a very small car, consider a diesel as fuel costs are currently around £1.10 per litre.

Cheers

Myles

• 2 weeks later...
Easy to exchange licences and insurances look more favourably on you if you have a UK licence. You might want to get evidence from your Aus insurer of your NCB status, some UK companies apparently take that into consideration but insurance can be tricky.

I agree except we didn't find insurance tricky after 12 years away, I don't think anything has changed. I'm sure I started with Admiral and they gave me full equivalent of my Australian NCD.