457 Advice

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post and I was hoping for some advice. quicker than expected I was offered employment for a 457 (plus spouse) visa and my employer lodged their nomination on the 12th July. Once that is approved, I will then lodge myself and spouse part of the 457 and ensure our health checks are booked etc...My question is, how long does the whole process take? My contract of employment states I am to commence work in Sept / Oct and yet the company has stated their part of the nomination may take one to two months for approval? Is this correct? And if so how long will my part of lodging visa take? Its a mad panic at the moment and the house is on the market and I cannot book shipping or my dogs relocation and quarantine until I have the full visa approval. I feel like I am really cutting it fine and wanted maybe some advice on your own experience. Also I being brave and not using a MA! :huh:

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post and I was hoping for some advice. quicker than expected I was offered employment for a 457 (plus spouse) visa and my employer lodged their nomination on the 12th July. Once that is approved, I will then lodge myself and spouse part of the 457 and ensure our health checks are booked etc...My question is, how long does the whole process take? My contract of employment states I am to commence work in Sept / Oct and yet the company has stated their part of the nomination may take one to two months for approval? Is this correct? And if so how long will my part of lodging visa take? Its a mad panic at the moment and the house is on the market and I cannot book shipping or my dogs relocation and quarantine until I have the full visa approval. I feel like I am really cutting it fine and wanted maybe some advice on your own experience. Also I being brave and not using a MA! :huh:

It could be anything from a few weeks to a few months or more. The employer will. Well understand that you cannot start work until you have the visa, so I wouldn't be worrying about contract start dates.

Are you aware that this is a temporary visa? Unless I was thinking of moving anyway, I don't think I would sell my house for a 457 visa.

Don't want to worry you but my nomination was applied for on the 5th May and still has not been approved as of yet.

The dibp is really cracking down on fraudulent applications so I am led to believe.

If you lodge a complete application then it can be easier but a lot of the time they are asking for further information and even once that is submitted it can take a further 28 working days.

Be prepared for a wait is all I can say.

Me and my partner were thinking of handing in our 2 months notice for our rental property in May and now we are so glad we didn't otherwise we would be homeless by now.

Worst case scenario could be 3 months for each part nomination and visa. Not going to lie it's very frustrating living in limbo but there's nothing you can do except wait.

Good luck and try not to make any hasty moving decisions atleast until the nomination is approved [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine took about 7 weeks I think but that was a while ago. Don't worry about start dates..it's out of your hands and employer will be aware of this and will know u can only start when visa is finalised...I was given start date of June just so we all had a rough time to aim for I think but due to paperwork etc I didn't start till mid July, was no big deal n nothing we could do about it

I'm another one who would ask, what on earth are you selling your house for, if you're only going to Australia on a temporary contract?

It's true that some people manage to stay on after a 457 and get permanent residency, but an awful lot of things can (and do) go wrong and many people don't ever get there. Although an employer may seem keen to sponsor you for permanent residency after a few years, that promise has no legal value and they can change their mind any time - and there will be nothing you can do about it. If the company goes bust or has a restructure so your job disappears, you'll have 90 days to leave the country because you'll have no right to stay in Australia. Same if you hate the job and hand in your notice - you'll have to go home.

Also your spouse may have trouble getting work because he's not a permanent resident and is at the mercy of your continued employment. Depends on his field of course.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it - if you're up for an adventure and can afford to do it, that's your choice. Just making sure you're across the possible risks.

The company who is an approved sponsor has recently brought people over and their office manager told me to hang fire, until they get approval and my TNR number - as I am paying for the visa myself and if anything was to fall through their end I would loose the money. So I am hanging tight! LOL!

The company who is an approved sponsor has recently brought people over and their office manager told me to hang fire, until they get approval and my TNR number - as I am paying for the visa myself and if anything was to fall through their end I would loose the money. So I am hanging tight! LOL!

Fair enough, good luck with everything hope it all works out :-)

I know what you are saying about the sale of the house but we need the money for the move, i.e. furniture shipping, pet relocation, hitting the ground with rental deposits, temp accommodate the list goes on. Yes my employer has said that they can provide PR Sponsor but I am also ensuring I get my Australian quals in HR when I am there. My role as HR Manager is on the CSOL list so there is a possibility of applying myself on a points score application I hope. Currently I am going over as a recruitment Executive and I have worked in recruitment and HR for over 20 years - recruitment roles are endless over there in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne - I am quite positive if my role was to end for what ever reason there would be another employer willing to pick me up with a sponsor as I am on the ground there, there's lots of job advertising that option of sponsorship if your in Oz. Maybe I looking through everything with rose tinted glasses but I do believe I can make it happen as that was a big worry of mine. Its a huge gamble and my thought are (as there is a lot of capital in the house - for a deposit) worst come to worst - we come home and buy another house! God I sound really positive - yet I am quite nervous about it all! lol x

Archived