do i need to swap vehicle registration???

jonjo2904

Hi all, i have moved from melbourne to perth WA. I have spoke to a few different people some say i need to swap the registration to WA and others say dont bother...if i swap the registration will i need to do another RWC? Is there a fee for swapping reg over?

Thanks.

Hi all, i have moved from melbourne to perth WA. I have spoke to a few different people some say i need to swap the registration to WA and others say dont bother...if i swap the registration will i need to do another RWC? Is there a fee for swapping reg over?

Thanks.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/license-a-vehicle-from-interstate.asp

You may, or may not, have to get your car examined as well.

Its so confusing...is there an equivalent of a vic roads in WA i can just go to and speak with someone? The car came with rwc in melbourne and registered so surely the vehicle cant need inspecting? I think im just gonna hunt for somewere to go and speak to someone in person.

At first i thought it was a case of go online prove your registered and road worthy in another state and simply order new plates...but its not like that at all it seems a pain in the ass so i was just gonna leave my vic plates on but finding out its illegal im gonna have to change them.

Yes but on the link it is not clear weather i need roadworthy. Says if ive owned the vehicle less than 12 months it needs inspecting which is nonsense in my opinion it doesnt make sense. It came woth rwc and rego so it shouldnt need anything but a plate swap. Feel like im gonns end up havong to pay for rwc and rego which technically came with the car. If they are going to charge me to register the vehicle in WA withouth a straight swap with no fee then surely VIC roads should refund me what i have paid to be registered in there state. I landed in melbourne stayed 2 weeks bought a car and came to perth so ive paid 110 dollars to be registered in melbourne for 2 weeks.Maybe im been stupid im not sure im gonna have a really good read of everything on that link and see if i can make sense of it.

Edited by jonjo2904

In qld you need safety check and there isn't really any exceptions so wa sounds bit better...I changed mine from Victoria and cost me a lot to register again...Car had just had all checks n rego etc but had to do it all again...But you can get refund of rego from previous state for remaining months and if I was to live in qld for over 14 days without registering car to this state I can be fined so have a read of website and should give you all info but no it's not straight forward online thing..if only!

Edited by xxlornaxx

Guest The Pom Queen

Have you moved over there for good? Or are you staying for a few months? If only temporarily I would leave the Vic plates on. It's nightmares. We brought our car from Victoria and even though it was a brand new car we still had to have a safety certificate once we arrived in Cairns. Then when we bought a car in NSW they had to get a roadworthy to sell it which it passed with flying colours yet when we got it to Queensland they failed it as it seems NSW safety certificates aren't as strict as Qld ones. When we first got one of the Cars up here from Melbourne we drove around on the Vic number plates for a few months. They can't prove when you arrived in WA.

Yes but on the link it is not clear weather i need roadworthy. Says if ive owned the vehicle less than 12 months it needs inspecting which is nonsense in my opinion it doesnt make sense. It came woth rwc and rego so it shouldnt need anything but a plate swap. Feel like im gonns end up havong to pay for rwc and rego which technically came with the car. If they are going to charge me to register the vehicle in WA withouth a straight swap with no fee then surely VIC roads should refund me what i have paid to be registered in there state. I landed in melbourne stayed 2 weeks bought a car and came to perth so ive paid 110 dollars to be registered in melbourne for 2 weeks.Maybe im been stupid im not sure im gonna have a really good read of everything on that link and see if i can make sense of it.
You go to Department of Transport with your Vic Plates ask to change your rego to WA. If you have owned it less than 12 months you need a roadworthy, doesnt matter how old the vehicle is, i had only owned mine for 5 months and it was only just over a year old. They will give you a receipt for your plates and you send that to Vic Roads with a form you will get on their website, sorry cant remember the number and they will refund any Rego that you still have on your car in Vic.

You will need to pay the full rego cost here either 6 months or a year.

You will also need to change your licence if you have already changed from UK to Victoria. They dont charge you for that and honour the expiry date.

Edited by AJ

Absolutely you need to get it registered in WA with all the paraphernalia that entails. For starters, your third party insurance will be invalid - you have something like 90 days to make the change - but then if you have an accident you are not insured (a friend of mine found that out the hard way and was up for a lot of money in payment for an accident they were involved in but should have had their car registered in ACT because that was where they were living but still had it in NSW because they couldn't be bothered to make the change!). Doesn't matter what you think is reasonable, there are rules and if your car needs a check from the WA agencies then it needs a check, get on and do it.